Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Deer / Animal Hunters

My dad loved deer hunting.  He was the type that could go out to the woods in the morning, and come back in the evening.

Me, I'm not really the hunting type.  It's cold, it's early, and I don't have the patience.  Do enjoy shooting guns though, especially rifles and handguns.

I would post the picture of my first deer but I have no idea how. When I click the image link it asks for a URL, and I don't know how that works. I just have the picture saved to my laptop.

Scroll to the bottom of the screen where you see a comment box, and click on "more reply options".  From that screen you go to the attach files section (next to a paperclip) and click on "choose files", that'll bring up a window where you can choose the file on your computer and you click open.  It'll attach the file directly above where it says "attach files" and next to it there will be the option to either add to post or delete, click add to post.

As you can tell from my avatar, I am an outdoorsman.  Growing up in Indiana (70's and 80's) there never seemed to be a lot of deer, so I only hunted small game.  When I moved to Wisconsin, I took up deer hunting, and now that is pretty much how I spend my fall and early winter.  

Gun hunting is fun, but I personally prefer bow hunting for a couple of different reasons:  1)  you get a lot more opportunities to be in the woods, and 2) it is a much different experience getting the deer within 30 yards or so vs the 100 to 200 yards with a rifle.  

Every year I hunt in Wisconsin, and on my family's farms in Indiana.  This year I get to add Missouri to my list.  Looking forward to it!

That is an awesome deer! I wish we had whitetail up here in Alaska. The venison is absolutely delish! If anyone is interested, and if it is LEGAL, i would be willing to trade someone some Caribou/Moose for some venison in OCT....That is, if i get one come hunting season. Any takers?

Gun hunting is fun, but I personally prefer bow hunting for a couple of different reasons:  1)  you get a lot more opportunities to be in the woods, and 2) it is a much different experience getting the deer within 30 yards or so vs the 100 to 200 yards with a rifle.  

Well, you're not going to get a deer from 200 yards in Indiana because you can't use a rifle.  If you tried a 200 yard shot with a shotgun the only thing you would do is scare off every deer in the forest, even 100 is a bit of a reach.  My dad got one from about 90 yards out one season and he thought he missed, and he shot expert in the military.

I get your point though.  Although you could use a hangun in Indiana, that'd certainly reduce the range.

Well, you're not going to get a deer from 200 yards in Indiana because you can't use a rifle.  If you tried a 200 yard shot with a shotgun the only thing you would do is scare off every deer in the forest, even 100 is a bit of a reach.  My dad got one from about 90 yards out one season and he thought he missed, and he shot expert in the military.

I get your point though.  Although you could use a hangun in Indiana, that'd certainly reduce the range.

Yeah, I don't take any 200 yard shots in Indiana, but with my rifled shotgun, 100 yards is well within range.  You just have to have spent some time practicing so you learn the slug drop. 

I've got a friend that uses a handgun.  He claims it is just like bow hunting, and he is probably right, but he only gets to hunt 9 days a year, while I get to hunt from Mid-September through the first weekend in January.  :)

Well, I hate to rub it in but...............(rub) I'm heading out on SEP 1 for moose and caribou (and anything else that moves to include: wolf, bear, wolverine, fox, lynx) I have tags for all of them so it's on like donkey-kong! wish me luck out there. If I don't get skunked, i'll post some photos of the trophys.

Yeah, I don't take any 200 yard shots in Indiana, but with my rifled shotgun, 100 yards is well within range. You just have to have spent some time practicing so you learn the slug drop.

I've got a friend that uses a handgun. He claims it is just like bow hunting, and he is probably right, but he only gets to hunt 9 days a year, while I get to hunt from Mid-September through the first weekend in January. :)

A shotgun may not shoot 200 yards, but a muzzleloader will. I have my inline sighted in for 250 yards. I don't feel comfortable shooting that far but I have dropped a buck at 175. I use it for all firearms seasons. I only need one shot anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

These are far from the biggest deer I've ever gotten, but they are the most important to me.  My son got his first deer with a bow, his second year hunting.  My daughter got her first one her very first hunting season.  Being with them and getting them to enjoy the outdoors has meant more to me than any deer I have ever gotten myself.  [attachment=1137:Kaylee Deer.jpg][attachment=1138:Drew Deer.jpg]

These are far from the biggest deer I've ever gotten, but they are the most important to me.  My son got his first deer with a bow, his second year hunting.  My daughter got her first one her very first hunting season.  Being with them and getting them to enjoy the outdoors has meant more to me than any deer I have ever gotten myself.  attachicon.gifKaylee Deer.jpgattachicon.gifDrew Deer.jpg

Congrats on the memories! IT doesn't get any better than spending time with family in the woods.