Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Deer / Animal Hunters

Hey everyone, I am new to deer hunting.  Figured this would be a good place to start a hunting thread, esp. with deer season coming up very soon.  Who all hunts, what do you hunt, and post pictures of your trophies?!

My in-laws hunt, and always have.  I've been intrigued by hunting since my wife and I started dating (a long time ago lol), but I decided to get right into it.  They hunt deer, turkey, and pheasants.  For right now, I am just getting into deer.  I am excited and can't wait.  Any advice from you seasoned hunters?

If you can use a rifle (in Indiana it's illegal), then do it.  Less recoil than a shotgun.  A .30-30 makes a good deer gun, or .30-06.

I just realized I'm giving advice about guns to Jaybob, JAYBOOB!  On second thought, just don't pull a Dick Cheaney.

shoot, clean and eat.  Deer hunting is a patience game, just find a good location and enjoy your time in the field.   Bird hunting is a lot of fun, you should try it if they have good hunting grounds. 

Yeah, I don't have the patience which is probably why I've never really gotten into hunting even though I've been a few times.  That and it's early and cold.

I enjoy getting guns out and just doing target practice though.

Yeah, I don't have the patience which is probably why I've never really gotten into hunting even though I've been a few times.  That and it's early and cold.

I enjoy getting guns out and just doing target practice though.

I can fish early, but hunting deer got old...  Now using dogs for birds is fun, love watching the dogs work.

Hunting is a relaxing therapy session for me, I hunt squirrel and deer mostly, you want to hike and track your hunting grounds for a while to get an idea of which direction the deer are moving, find food plots and water sources, really plan your hunts

If you can use a rifle (in Indiana it's illegal), then do it.  Less recoil than a shotgun.  A .30-30 makes a good deer gun, or .30-06.

I just realized I'm giving advice about guns to Jaybob, JAYBOOB!  On second thought, just don't pull a Purdue Person Cheaney.

Its not illegal anymore, just limited to handgun cartridges that meet certain specs, basically starts at .357 and runs up around .50 caliber. Its interesting to be checking in a deer and the guy shows you the gun, a AR-15 in .458 Socom. 

Its not illegal anymore, just limited to handgun cartridges that meet certain specs, basically starts at .357 and runs up around .50 caliber. Its interesting to be checking in a deer and the guy shows you the gun, a AR-15 in .458 Socom. 

I just checked.  I don't have any of those calibers in long gun, then again I only have 2 rifles:  a Marlin .30-30, which is a really smooth shooter, and a Remington .22

Hunting is a relaxing therapy session for me, I hunt squirrel and deer mostly, you want to hike and track your hunting grounds for a while to get an idea of which direction the deer are moving, find food plots and water sources, really plan your hunts

How did everyone do so far?  My father-in-law got a nice doe, but brother-in-law came up empty.  The wife wasn't able to make it for the first session.  Really excited because the wife and I are looking at some houses with acreage, hopefully big enough to hunt on.  There is one house with 40 acres.... me like :) lol

Alaska, send some good elk meat my way please! :)<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

<br /><br />Some elk medallions with horseradish and raspberry sauce- yes, thank you!!<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="Alaska Hoosier" post="76759" timestamp="1407358733"]@jaybobhoosier- Sorry, we don't have ELK up here in Alaska. We only have Moose, Cabibou, Dall Sheep, Muskox, Bison, Mountain Goat, Sitka Deer, Wolf, Bear, etc. :yes:[/quote]

Well, send me some good food then lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm a big hunter, only 21 years old so I don't have many kills to my name, but I did get my first Indiana whitetail last season. Just a 5 point, but it was a memory I'll never forget, and an exciting story to go with it. I hunt deer, coyote, and groundhog mostly, with deer hunting easily being my favorite. I'm not a patient person either, but I do love the great outdoors and the great part about hunting is you never know what you're going to see. I may have only killed 1 deer, but I have countless exciting stories I could tell about my experience hunting. Hunting is just so relaxing to me, and the feeling you get when you see a deer headed in your direction is crazy. Heart really gets pumping, hands start shaking (if it's a big buck....or it could be the cold), and your adrenaline really gets going. Bow season doesn't start for another couple months here in Indiana, and I gotta get out and practice with my crossbow I just got.