Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) C Derrik Smits to Valparaiso

This kid is having a really solid senior season (17&6) and his team has won 7 in a row against some tough competition. I know he's not a Burger Boy, but I'm pretty confident he's better than April and Priller. I went thru this thread again and someone joked that he was a backup plan to our backup plan... I'd take the third stringer right now!

This kid is having a really solid senior season (17&6) and his team has won 7 in a row against some tough competition. I know he's not a Burger Boy, but I'm pretty confident he's better than April and Priller. I went thru this thread again and someone joked that he was a backup plan to our backup plan... I'd take the third stringer right now!

He's probably on par with Priller. Priller averaged 17 & 4 his senior year. Priller played in a more competitive division in high school than Smits also. Priller played in the top division of Texas basketball, which is pretty darn competitive. 

He's probably on par with Priller. Priller averaged 17 & 4 his senior year. Priller played in a more competitive division in high school than Smits also. Priller played in the top division of Texas basketball, which is pretty darn competitive. 

Be careful, the dogs will come after you if you compare Texas HSBB with Indiana. Clearly Priller's 17 and 4 in Texas would relegate him to JV duty in Indiana.

Be careful, the dogs will come after you if you compare Texas HSBB with Indiana. Clearly Priller's 17 and 4 in Texas would relegate him to JV duty in Indiana.

Well Im just saying he played top level basketball thats probably comparable to 4A basketball here

I have very little knowledge of Texas High School bball. Obviously a ton of talent comes from the state. I've wondered in the past if it produces all the talent simply because of the sheer size of the state, or if it's because high school bball is solid down there. Probably a little of both.

You're right, Smits' stats are pretty comparable to Priller's. However, I don't see many similarities in their games. Smits is much more of a traditional post player. He has some really solid post moves (hook shot, etc.). Once he puts some strength on his frame I think he'll be a serviceable 4 year big...Even at the high major level had he decided to go that route.

Priller, on the hand, is more of a perimeter oriented big. Which isn't a bad thing for our program. However, his defense is terrible. The guy really struggles with lateral movement. I don't know if he'll be able to overcome it. I felt better about it when JeNey was here working with him. Smits isn't there defensively yet, either, but I think he has a much higher ceiling.

I have very little knowledge of Texas High School bball. Obviously a ton of talent comes from the state. I've wondered in the past if it produces all the talent simply because of the sheer size of the state, or if it's because high school bball is solid down there. Probably a little of both.

You're right, Smits' stats are pretty comparable to Priller's. However, I don't see many similarities in their games. Smits is much more of a traditional post player. He has some really solid post moves (hook shot, etc.). Once he puts some strength on his frame I think he'll be a serviceable 4 year big...Even at the high major level had he decided to go that route.

Priller, on the hand, is more of a perimeter oriented big. Which isn't a bad thing for our program. However, his defense is terrible. The guy really struggles with lateral movement. I don't know if he'll be able to overcome it. I felt better about it when JeNey was here working with him. Smits isn't there defensively yet, either, but I think he has a much higher ceiling.

Yeah I don't really see them as being comparable. I was more just making the comparison to ruffle a few feathers haha