Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) C Derrik Smits to Valparaiso

Looks like we are keeping tabs here..

INBBallSource Trevor Andershock

Derrik Smits, 6-10 C Zionsville, has heard from Michigan St., IUPUI, Purdue, Butler, Xavier, Boston College, Tennessee...continued tweet

INBBallSource Trevor Andershock
Add Indiana to the schools that have contacted Derrik Smits today. Lots of schools keeping the big fella warm for down the road. #iubb

Not sure what event this may be.

Trevor Andershock ‏@INBBallSource7m

Jimmy King (2015) with a solid performance down the stretch as his team beats the team led by Derrik Smits. 15 & 10 for Smits 

Pretty good article on Derrik and his Dad. 

http://atzionsville.com/2013/11/06/catching-up-with-rik-and-derrik-smits/

“He [Derrik] can become as good as he wants,” assessed one Hoosier Crossroads Conference coach. “He is getting better and better.”

That is wonderful news for the college recruiting crowd that is always circling overhead for potential centers. Derrik recently visited Xavier and Clemson, while Butler, Purdue, Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and numerous NCAA Division I scouts have been following his exploits since his sophomore season when he led the Eagles in blocked shots while averaging 7.1 points. The younger Smits enters his junior season three inches taller and filled out to 220 pounds.

Top 20 players to watch

Derrik Smits, Zionsville: The 6-10 junior could be poised for a breakout season. He missed a few games with an injury last year, but averaged 7.1 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shots as a sophomore. Smits has offers from Butler, Clemson and Xavier and interest from a number of high-major programs.

Zionsville(Derrik Smits) vs Brownsburg(KJ Walton) tonight. Clemson checking on Smits. Xavier at the game to..

Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown 1h
Hoops - #NotreDame expected to watch 2015 C Derrik Smits and 2016 big Joey Brunk tonight. In-state targets 

Has there been much interest?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Haven't talked to him about it, but not to my knowledge. Obviously he has a family passion for the sport. I have a feeling that is why he is holding out… with so many big offers on the table - CTC would be wise to look his way - especially with Fischer leaving. Smits is a hometown kid and he would be tickled to wear the Cream & Crimson. 

The way things seem to be going for IU recruiting-wise, are we sure that IU isn't Smits' backup plan?  :laugh:  I kid; I continue to believe we will not get a commit until the winter or spring (assuming we have a decent season).