Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2014) PG Devonte Graham off the board

Cut list 4/15/14 - Jason Smith @BrewsterHoops  ·  13h

Brewster point guard @im_dat_kid_dtae has his final list of 5 schools- Kansas, NC State, Virginia, Providence, and Virginia Tech.

Raleigh,NC(Brewster Academy)

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 165

AAU: Garner Road

No offer. New name on the radar. Teammates with 2015 PF Jarred Reuter(offer) and 2015 SG Donovan Mitchell.

Rivals

ESPN

Scout

Video

Twitter

Jason Smith ‏@BrewsterHoops
#IU is the latest school to express interest in Brewster PG @im_dat_kid_dtae. Unable to speak with him #AppSt hasn't released him #Hoosiers

WOLFEBORO, N.H. -- Appalachian State coach Jason Capel will not allow Devonte Graham to play elsewhere, and part of his refusal stems from allegations of tampering by NC State.

"Devonte Graham willingly and excitedly chose to sign a national letter of intent with Appalachian State last November after having the opportunity to be recruited by 351 NCAA Division I programs," Appalachian State said in a statement Friday. "Furthermore, if he thought that a more desirable situation might arise in the future, he also had the option to wait until the late signing period in April to make his college choice."

The 6-foot-1 Graham signed a binding letter of intent with Appalachian State out of Broughton High (N.C.) in November but told ESPN.com on Wednesday that he asked Capel for his release seven months ago.

"I went on an official visit, loved it and loved the coaches at the time," Graham said. "But then I realized I could play at a higher level."

Graham had a change of heart and asked to be released in mid-February. Capel, a former North Carolina player who is entering his fourth season as Appalachian State coach, hasn't budged, and sources told ESPN.com that the staff believes tampering occurred by N.C. State.

That's a tough situation, and understand both sides.  However, if you signed the NLI, and want to play somewhere else because you are getting more attention, I would probably have to side with App. St. on this one.  He took another kids spot that could have gotten a scholarship there.  Just a tough situation all around.

Just read a NC high school board on young Mr. Graham.  His strengths?

Work ethic and leadership. A pass first floor leader with defensive tenacity that has been showing dramatic improvement.

Sounds like a CTC recruit to me.

It's Appalachain State. This kid will get so much more opportunities elsewhere. The coach would be gone in an instant if bigger names were interested in him. I don't care if Graham goes to IU, but I hope he gets the release.

Kind of sounds like the AppSt coach won't let him go because he's a UNC guy and NCST is interested in him. I can see both sides of this situation but the coach is messing with a kid's future here. He has a chance to play at a number of much more prestigious schools.  What a mess

Kid has been tearing it up. App. St. still hasn't released him so he can't talk to anyone. Heard his name alot @ the #NPS this past weekend.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 1m
Most eye-opening play from the National Prep Showcase? Devonte Graham. Outside of JaQuan Lyle, may be best available PG in 2014.

I'm gonna leave this thread in the recruiting forum unless there is anything else on this from our side.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels  4m
Devonte Graham, who was just released by Appalachian State, is now the best available point guard in the 2014 class.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels  9m
Schools expected to be firmly in the mix for 2014 PG Devonte Graham are Virginia, Kansas, Florida & Providence.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10757163/devonte-graham-released-letter-intent-appalachian-state-mountaineers

He'll instantly become one of the most sought-after players left on the board for the Class of 2014.

Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith told ESPN.com that Kansas coach Bill Self is expected to see Graham on Friday, and that Virginia's Tony Bennett, Nebraska's Tim Miles and Providence's Ed Cooley are slated to come up Thursday. Smith also said that Xavier, NC State, Georgia Tech and Florida State have expressed interest in Graham.