Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 hours ago, AH1971 said:

They'll most likely play three P5 teams in Atlantis and then another P5 team in South Carolina. Every team in America schedules 5-6 "cupcakes", why is this any different?

From a reddit poster: 

Battle 4 Atlantis teams are Arizona, Gonzaga, Indiana, Louisville, Oklahoma, West Virginia, providence and Davidson. Arizona, zags and maybe OU are the q1 games and ou is at 49 in Torvik (50 is the cut in NET). That’s not great. Edit: They looked at the wrong year so OU is projected 67 and not q1.

SCAR is the only other game on the non-con that could be Q1 or Q2, I'm pretty sure. And they won't be what they were last season. We will have very few opportunities to get quality wins in the non-con. We'll probably need to dominate the B10 for a strong seed. 

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It's different because Atlantis is one of the weaker lineups in the history of that tournament.

It's got two preseason top 10 team (Arizona + Gonzaga), a top 15-20 team (Indiana), and another fringe top 25 team in Providence. Win the first game and you're almost assured to have 3 Q1 opponents on your resume. I'm not sure what the fuss is about?

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Battle 4 Atlantis teams are Arizona, Gonzaga, Indiana, Louisville, Oklahoma, West Virginia, providence and Davidson. Arizona, zags and maybe OU are the q1 games and ou is at 49 in Torvik (50 is the cut in NET). That’s not great.

Providence is a fringe top 25 team and Louisville will be much improved with an actual coach and actual roster this year. I'm willing to let the season, let alone the tournament, play out before calling it the "worst field ever".

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Oh, the usual June and July doldrums and complaints because we haven't won men's basketball games during the off-season.  

And more importantly, Mediocre Mike hasn't cost us any games in the last 4 months, either... 

Just now, AH1971 said:

Providence is a fringe top 25 team and Louisville will be much improved with an actual coach and actual roster this year. I'm willing to let the season, let alone the tournament play out before calling it the "worst field ever".

I didn't say it was the worst field ever. Ultimately we're going to have to see how it plays out. 

Don't see how it's controversial to say it's an underwhelming non-con schedule. 

6 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I didn't say it was the worst field ever. Ultimately we're going to have to see how it plays out. 

Don't see how it's controversial to say it's an underwhelming non-con schedule. 

We play a lot less "cupcakes" this year than we did last year. There's 3 sub 200 teams per Torvik on the schedule. There were 6 last year. The draw in the Atlantis will end up determining just how tough it actually is but in a world where IU plays say Providence/Oklahoma/Louisville in Rd 1, Arizona Rd 2, and Gonzaga in the championship it's going to end up being a much tougher schedule than last year.  

8 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

It's got two preseason top 10 team (Arizona + Gonzaga), a top 15-20 team (Indiana), and another fringe top 25 team in Providence. Win the first game and you almost assured to have 3 Q1 opponents on your resume. I'm not sure what the fuss is about?

It would have been much better if Creighton would have stayed in. I'm underwhelmed, your overwhelmed. Time will tell. I was hoping for an Indy game and one more P5 program. 

The preseason and non conference schedule is meaningless in the big picture.  He has to win a lot of games in the Big 10 and in the tournament if he wants to keep running the show.  

2 hours ago, Trish said:

What's been going on here lately?

Anyways, the non-conference schedule in November for IUBB is extremely weak. Looks like Woodson wants to get to 20 wins as soon as possible next year to assure he's "doing his job". 

Yeah the schedule is @$$.  South Carolina is your marquee match up.  And the only other games worth a darn are in the Bahamas.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

It will get ugly if we lose to anyone outside of Atlantis. I wasn't expecting anything this soft as our schedule. 

It really isn't that soft of a schedule. You got 4 games against really good competition. You have two that is bad with teams 290+ and the rest are against teams 100-200. 

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Don't mean to go down a rabbit hole, but the Tyme account also was using Tweet Hunter Pro. The user was asked about it and tweeted that he had no idea how it got on his account and he was removing access. When I googled that service, this was the result

"Tweet Hunter is an all-in-one Twitter growth tool, designed to help you grow and monetize your Twitter audience. Our goal is to make is as easy as possible for you to create high-performing content, build an audience around your topics of expertise, monetize and attract opportunities. Tweet Hunter helps you at every stage of growing a Twitter account. Whether it’s to create more and better tweets and threads, increase their reach, improve the business ROI they drive, or even engage with other people. We have developed an advanced, Twitter-dedicated AI engine as well as custom features that exist nowhere else in the market." 7 Day free trial, then $49/mo.

There is no way that you set that up by accident, considering it's a paid service.

We already know Tyme is unique from other IUBB burners on twitter/actually connected to someone. I don't personally think the IU administration is paying for an army of bots to defend Woody, but I think somebody with ties to Woody is helping push back on criticism of him. Woody would be unaware of anything going on in the background to that end, if anything of that sort is actually happening. 

I don't think it's all an army of bots, (though it's Twitter, so there certainly are plenty of them) but one key influencer (Tyme) offering a counter narrative and trying to amplify it with paid tools and private group chats, etc. Get a few bigger accounts (real people) to buy into their message and then from there, their work is largely done and the discourse plays out for the fanbase to take sides. 

The vitriol likely coming from bots / being a byproduct of the building tension that already exists throughout today's society. It's an election year. And apparently you're "woke" (according to shrekbag) if you don't think Woody is a good coach. Not sure how that one adds up...

I totally agree that the offseason doldrums and complaints are repetitive. But as you say, can't win games in the offseason. 

It is easy to say something negative because we're coming off a very negative season. Some people are able to be more optimistic than others coming off that year. Some are more forgiving than others. If everyone was singing kumbaya, we believe in you Woody, you are the best HC we could ever have... the program would not be in any better shape and the conversation here would be just as not insightful as it is today. There is nothing of true substance to discuss at this point of the year for IUBB other than the non-con schedule today. 

We don't need to prepare to speak on the state of the program. The team needs to prepare to win.

In the meantime, some will be more content to be hopeful and others will reserve praise until further down the line. 

This certainly adds more credibility to @WayneFleekHoosier's earlier suggestion that these "burner" accounts seemed to be attempting to create energy/positive mojo for Woody and the program.  Overall, I am not mad about it IF results follow on the court.  In fact, I might even be impressed but I do not see how it directly improves the product on the floor.  The product on the floor, especially with the level of talent we have, needs to produce.

Nonetheless, what you shared about Twitter Hunter Pro certainly was not done by accident.  I have seen a lot of ideas floated around about who may have had access to the program and was able to share this via twitter and one that came to mind reading this was perhaps someone associated with Woody's agent or perhaps even Adidas.  Both entities may have more experience creating energy/buzz for people and products and I could see how this could be linked to either. 

Regardless, it was good find. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

They'll most likely play three P5 teams in Atlantis and then another P5 team in South Carolina. Every team in America schedules 5-6 "cupcakes", why is this any different?

Even under RMK we would play 4 easy teams for the most part in the Hoosier and Indiana classics. We would always play UK and ND and another top team. Then we would play a couple more against MAC level teams

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

This certainly adds more credibility to @WayneFleekHoosier's earlier suggestion that these "burner" accounts seemed to be attempting to create energy/positive mojo for Woody and the program.  Overall, I am not mad about it IF results follow on the court.  In fact, I might even be impressed but I do not see how it directly improves the product on the floor.  The product on the floor, especially with the level of talent we have, needs to produce.

Nonetheless, what you shared about Twitter Hunter Pro certainly was not done by accident.  I have seen a lot of ideas floated around about who may have had access to the program and was able to share this via twitter and one that came to mind reading this was perhaps someone associated with Woody's agent or perhaps even Adidas.  Both entities may have more experience creating energy/buzz for people and products and I could see how this could be linked to either. 

Regardless, it was good find. 

https://x.com/Tyme1299218/status/1810718931293708616

You all said Beetlejuice too many times and called him back out in time to defend the schedule.

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah the schedule is @$$.  South Carolina is your marquee match up.  And the only other games worth a darn are in the Bahamas.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the schedule. It's no different than any other year in terms of mixture between quality and tune up. In fact, it'll likely end up being better than last year top to bottom once Bahamas plays out. It's nowhere close to Crean or Archie levels of creampuff, but I get it, it's a Tuesday and everyone has a quota to fill when it comes to b****** and moaning. Woodson could have schedule the Eastern Conference Central division and the majority of you would have still found a way to complain. Oh well, par for the course. 

8 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

It really isn't that soft of a schedule. You got 4 games against really good competition. You have two that is bad with teams 290+ and the rest are against teams 100-200. 

https://x.com/John_Fanta/status/1810679607370391640

Just stop.  Crean got flamed for this type of schedule.  South Carolina is your "big matchup" for the home crowd.  No Indianapolis game.  It is another "f--- you" to the small dollar donors and fans.  They get rid of the Crossroads Classic where you had Butler or Notre Dame and replaced it with a home game against Chattanooga.  I didn't think that was the idea behind getting out of that game....