Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

18 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

I find that somewhat laughable. The BoT would not be interested in a Dusty May who built a contender from a nobody and got a deep run in the tournament, but they were OK with hiring a mediocre NBA coach with ZERO college experience and an extremely low energy level, AND give him a lame duck unwarranted 4th year. Help me understand this crap if it's something besides pure, unadulterated corrupt nepotism.

The mediocre NBA coach was/is a friend. Pure, unadulterated nepotism is all it is.

Just now, Golfman25 said:

I'm not sure they are committed to the "Woodson has one more year" idea.  If he does enough to make the tournament next year, he'll get another.  And then another, and another, and on it goes.  

I know the goal is to compete for championships. But you have to learn to crawl before you can walk. If he keeps making the tournament that turns us into Bo Ryan Wisconsin and this last season was just a blip. 

I don’t see Woodson turning it around bc I only see 1 path for it to work. We are going with 2 bigs again next year. Which means you need 3 shooters at the other positions. Then focus on kicking the ball out more from the post. Beyond getting 3 shooters to go with the 2 post players, I can’t see it working. 

It would be nice with so many big programs that have coaching vacancies, that IU grab some of the high school players to at least set the next coach up with the potential for SOMETHING. There are 8 HS seniors committed to fired coaches in 247 top 150. Could be more as the jobs are filled, players come back on stacked teams like Mbagko leaving Duke. IMO, he needs to land at least 2 high school kids. 3-5 in the portal depending on how many we have open. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Minimum of six from the portal:

1. Ware
  2. X
  3. Walker
  4. Gunn
  5. Banks
  6. Open spot.

And it's reasonable to expect that there will be an additional departure or two, for a total of seven or eight from the portal.

Unlike prior years, with Woody in lame duck status there's very little chance that a high school senior will pop for IU after a coaching change. 

This is rough, though I suppose it's the only way to be with a likely lame duck coach and no confirmed heir apparent.

It’s why I think they should name May the heir apparent. Have it be like the Keady Painter transition. But let Woodson do his thing for the final season. May recruits for the future. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

It’s why I think they should name May the heir apparent. Have it be like the Keady Painter transition. But let Woodson do his thing for the final season. May recruits for the future. 

That's not going to happen while May is at FAU. May won't come to IU unless it's as the HC. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Dusty May will most certainly not turn down a $4 million annual/7 year guaranteed head coaching job at UL or UM for a down-the-road promise at IU. 

It's not a forgone conclusion he ends up with either one of those jobs. Trilly has said he's not as high on the UL list as some thought and UM is also looking at other people too. 

1 hour ago, Trish said:

Good morning Hoosiers! 

GOOD NEWS: Indiana won't get blown out AGAIN in the NCAA tournament for a third straight year.

BAD NEWS: Mike Woodson will be the head coach for one more year.

I'm expecting a couple transfers today, I've been checking the portal and I haven't seen them yet. But then again, it's too early for Mike Woodson to be telling kids they're gone.

Is there a link for the portal list?

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Dusty May will most certainly not turn down a $4 million annual/7 year guaranteed head coaching job at UL or UM for a down-the-road promise at IU. If he did that I'd question his judgment and whether he's smart enough for any big job.

He could if  IU paid him a HC salary for the year he waits. 

58 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Posting this the morning after a Selection Sunday where your name wasn't called is certainly a choice. Just asking to be memed to death by other fanbases.

Or our own. :D 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sure, but I cannot imagine any way in hell that IU pays Dusty May $4 million to watch Woody coach.

I think Woody is back. If Dolson wants to make the move and can’t, then he has to start thinking outside the box. I didn’t get paid anywhere near this but it’s something that was similar happened to me. I was asked to take a job I didn’t necessarily want or like for a short time until the job I wanted opened up. So it can happen. At least with the proposed idea above May could get that recruiting jump start, and maybe land Sisley and Mullins. 

But by sitting on his hands Dolson is setting the program back a couple of years. Fine Woodson is back, then make a chess move Dolson and don’t set the program back further. The new TV deal makes IU have plenty of money for a $4 mil salary to May for a season before he becomes coach. 

8 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

It's not a forgone conclusion he ends up with either one of those jobs. Trilly has said he's not as high on the UL list as some thought and UM is also looking at other people too. 

Okay lets say Dusty May is absolutely fanatical about the IU job. IMO there is still no way that he doesn't take a P5 job, and there's certainly no way he comes to be some HC in waiting here. There is absolutely no guarantee for him that IU will be there waiting if he stays at FAU. Look at this board, some of you think he's "unproven" and that sentiment seems to be shared by QB. If I'm his agent, there's no way I'm letting him pass up this cycle.  The money is just too different and there's no guarantee it will be there forever. And if UM/UL go in other directions, WVU is patiently waiting.