Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

If there remains chance of actually making a coaching change, it may be smart to wait and do a 'post-portaling' assessment.

If the staffs bombs horrendously enough in the portal it could be a tipping point?

(I'm holding out hope that someone in the administration is rational enough that having Woodson stay isn't a real possibility I guess)

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Which, coupled with the fact that there has still not been an official announcement, still makes me think that there is a real, not zero chance that he could retire.

I can’t remember who it was, maybe that Scotty D cat, but someone said something to the effect we should be rooting for wins not losses for what seemed like this reason. I don’t believe it, but it is certainly something to watch. 

34 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Ok, so let's cut to the chase here...

Is there anything going on in the background (the right kinds of conversations about moving on from Woodson, Dolson working some magic, end of season assessment, etc.), or is the decision for Woodson to stay actually real and final?

Anyone?

Just guessing, but barring a blowout loss to Mich or PSU, I assume Woodson is back.  The only hope is that at the end of the season, Dolson meets with Woodson and lays out requirements for next year requiring top 2 finish in the Big Ten, top 15 nationally, Sweet 16 appearance, and 3 high school signees in the 2025 class.  Maybe with those requirements, Woodson would choose to retire.  

1 minute ago, Bankshot said:

If there remains chance of actually making a coaching change, it may be smart to wait and do a 'post-portaling' assessment.

If the staffs bombs horrendously enough in the portal it could be a tipping point?

(I'm holding out hope that someone in the administration is rational enough that having Woodson stay isn't a real possibility I guess)

If you wait that long, you seriously hamstring the incoming coach.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

If you wait that long, you seriously hamstring the incoming coach.

I agree. I'm more in "Hail Mary" or "hopium" mode at this point.

32 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I admire your resilience and revolutionary spirit. 

Alas, it seems Quinn and co. have won the battle and the war this time around... 

"Maybe next year" - an all too familiar refrain for IU fans...

What we need is a booster with FU money to give Dusty an NIL deal to stick at FAU one more year, so he can come next year.  Kind of a right of first refusal. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

What we need is a booster with FU money to give Dusty an NIL deal to stick at FAU one more year, so he can come next year.  Kind of a right of first refusal. 

This is the kind of palace intrigue and conspiracy I come here for. I want to believe this 1000% lol 

28 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Don’t insult us IU fans!  Never compare us to Cub fans, maybe Reds fans but never Cub fans, lmao!

Guys It’s all my fault.  I hit the trifecta - IU, Cubs and Bears.  I have lived a life of suckage surrounded by a few years of greatness.  Bad karma I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

So woody can win a few more games next year than this year and get dicked in the tournament then call it an improvement and get that extension.

8 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

This post sure doesn't help with recruiting.....maybe it's time to move on since it ain't happening.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Please stop with "it's the fans fault"! Nothing we write on this board will alter recruiting.  Contacting players on Twitter (X) is a no go, but ranting on a message board has zero effect on recruiting. 

5 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

So woody can win a few more games next year than this year and get dicked in the tournament then call it an improvement and get that extension.

You lost me at “win a few more games.”  Chances are low my friend.  

54 minutes ago, hper50 said:

Good points made. I assume Bjork & O$U will make Dusty untouchable (especially by us) if they're going to bring him in. Given they should have some good options

I'm sure year one will be the standard buyout of 100% of the remaining value on the contract. The question is how much they pay Dusty per yr. I think it will probably be around 6 yrs and 3.5 million/year. So the buyout would be around 17.5 mill after year one. I think IU could pay it, but the OSU AD would definitely counter. 

So basically, if he has an average year, IU probably isn't paying it. If he has a good year, IU and OSU could both field huge offers, so it would come down to whether this is actually his dream job. Could go either way, Bob Knight wouldn't leave IU for OSU, Thad Matta wouldn't leave OSU for Indiana, but Roy Williams left Kansas to go home to UNC. Who knows where Dusty is on that continuum

I greatly respect those of you that are clinging to the hope that a coaching change will be made at the end of this season. Despite all evidence pointing to Mike Woodson definitively coming back for the 2024-2025 season, you're still holding out. I admire and hope you end up proving to be prescient.

I am already at the acceptance stage of my grief and am attempting to convince myself that our returning players plus the massive NIL hammer IU can swing will help grab enough good portal players so that next season is enjoyable and then Woodson retires as Quinn Buckner's BOT run expires.

15 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Just guessing, but barring a blowout loss to Mich or PSU, I assume Woodson is back.  The only hope is that at the end of the season, Dolson meets with Woodson and lays out requirements for next year requiring top 2 finish in the Big Ten, top 15 nationally, Sweet 16 appearance, and 3 high school signees in the 2025 class.  Maybe with those requirements, Woodson would choose to retire.  

That's the only way there's a change this season.  Dolson puts lofty expectations on for next season which Woody cannot meet and decides to retire.  They will not fire him.  Dolson hasn't issued a statement purely because his hands are tied for this year and he's not attaching his name to this flaming dumpster fire.