Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

Chief of Staff - Kenny Payne. 

So Woodson will have his best friends next to him. Payne and Hill. Seriously though, Payne will likely head back to the Knicks. Hopefully he can convince Woodson that college basketball is terrible and he should join him in going back to NY. 

One could only hope!

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Unless there's an official announcement that he's fired or retiring, you're probably best off assuming he'll be back. Less disappointment that way when he is back.

Agree.

9 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Ok, so let's cut to the chase here...

Is there anything going on in the background (the right kinds of conversations about moving on from Woodson, Dolson working some magic, end of season assessment, etc.), or is the decision for Woodson to stay actually real and final?

Anyone?

The timing of everything has been so strange. 

Chris had been of the opinion that Woodson was getting another year as recently as mid-February. Around the time of the Northwestern and Nebraska home losses, it seemed like he started to shift a little. While the Maryland game was going on, he said he was trying to confirm a rumor that we would be getting a new coach regardless of how the rest of the season went. This chatter lasted about 3 days, then we get the bizarre announcement from an anonymous source 2 hours before a Wednesday night game. 

To me, it felt like something got out too early, too many people heard about it, and when the athletic department realized how many people on this board were discussing it, they wanted it silenced. 

I still think if it were 100% confirmed he was back, we'd get an actual statement with Dolson's name attached. Or maybe I'm giving IU too much credit. 

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

@johnsoniu what's the O/U line on hours/days/weeks until he's back?

Never Getting Back Together GIFs | Tenor

LMAO. Tough one to call, heck I'm 5 pages behind in this thread right now, he could be back as I'm typing this.

Now, this could have a major impact on my date of Monday getting this thread to 1000 pages. His absence leaves a good 50-60 pages of back and forth that will need to be filled.

13 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Honestly he should take the OSU job if offered.  Who would want to coach under this moronic administration?

Woodson's replacement after he retires will probably be Wittman or Lewis or, horrifying thought, Thomas.

The lack of official statement from the AD is one of two things IMO. Either Dolson does not want his name on a direct report because he disagrees with the decision and it his only way to protest, or, they legitimately don’t think they have to and we don’t deserve/need verification. The silence from his office during this is deafening. I don’t think it means anything we want is happening, but it is interesting. 

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

The lack of official statement from the AD is one of two things IMO. Either Dolson does not want his name on a direct report because he disagrees with the decision and it his only way to protest, or, they legitimately don’t think they have to and we don’t deserve/need verification. The silence from his office during this is deafening. I don’t think it means anything we want is happening, but it is interesting. 

I’m surprised no one in the media has asked that question during a news conference or post game press conference.

10 minutes ago, Trish said:

Chief of Staff - Kenny Payne. 

So Woodson will have his best friends next to him. Payne and Hill. Seriously though, Payne will likely head back to the Knicks. Hopefully he can convince Woodson that college basketball is terrible and he should join him in going back to NY. 

"Would the NBA like Mike Woodson back?"

"No"

Just now, Bankshot said:

Thanks. Keep us posted I guess.

I'm assuming he's back but also am thinking (unless I missed something) that nothing "official" has been said still by the AD or department yet. And there were previous rumblings of meetings or end of year discussions/evaluations.

I do think that there will be an end-of-the-season meeting with Dolson & Woodson. 

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I think it's a 3rd option. For some reason they've decided to wait until the season is over, so either after we lose in the BTT or NIT (if we make it).

I think at this point, there has to be an official announcement An unnamed source "leaking" that he's back isn't good enough. Thinking it is would be very disrespectful of the fans. We've seen announcements giving a vote of confidence after seasons where the fans aren't calling for the coach to go as loudly as this year.

4 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

They don't really need an 'official' announcement, his contract says he's back. Unless IU leadership gets smart then he'll be back, which means he's back and non-zero chance of extended.

6 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

If I am Dolson and I don’t want to put my name on that then I am looking for another job. If I am the AD and I have no say apparently in the HC of the most important program at the university then why am I the AD

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

They don't really need an 'official' announcement, his contract says he's back. Unless IU leadership gets smart then he'll be back, which means he's back and non-zero chance of extended.

Thats kinda what I meant with option 2. Which is the option that means our administration is run by potatoes who think nothing is wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have not heard one single thing from anyone I know from the department side, the staff side, the booster side, or the former players side since the source came out that he was getting another year. 

Maybe they have found out that I can't be trusted but it has been eerily quiet on my end. 

Which, coupled with the fact that there has still not been an official announcement, still makes me think that there is a real, not zero chance that he could retire.

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I appreciate the DM's from people. I'm going to slow down my posting for a little bit. It was just becoming too much and now that we have nice weather I'm going to try to be outside a little more. He was just rubbing me the wrong way and bringing out a bad side in me. 

I have my own wife calling me a fair-weather fan also. She thinks he's an awful coach but wants him to get a 4th year since he's a nice old man. I've pulled all of my hair out already.  Go Hoosiers

It’s definitely easy to let all of this consume you! Especially when your wife asks you, “Are you still on that IU site?” Lol

I too have to gear down about this stuff. It’s totally out of my control, but I just let overpower me sometimes….

I just love this school so much…

28 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

One thing to note with the Carolina success: much like recruiting one and done five star freshmen, Carolina had some building blocks already in place with Armando Bacot, and RJ Davis - much like Kentucky had with Darius Miller when they win in 2012, or Duke with Quin Cook when they won in 2015.

Whether you’re planning on building your roster with one and done’s or through the portal, you need established players already in place to make either process work to develop a championship level team. 

Stop. You’re just twisting the narrative to fit your beliefs. All you need to do is offer these dudes NIL $$$.  And your championship is right around the corner.  There are “lots” of teams doing it.  :)