Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I feel sorry for Gallo. Glutton for punishment but Woody loves him. If he doesn’t play point next year, I guarantee Gallos poor shooting will be a node of contention for our roster next season.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Woody can always say he didn't know Gallo was such a poor shooter.

1.  There are examples of teams mostly loading up through the portal and winning next year.  St John’s is an example although they are basically still just a bubble team but they only kept one player.

2.  The disagreement on this is whether it is the best path to do so + if Woodson is capable of doing it.  Ngw thinks he is, most of the rest of the board does not.

Really is that simple and neither side is changing their feels on that.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Kansas had players from a National championship team that was recruited by a staff and  in place. the transfers  they got filled a hole.  UNC had players  from a team that played in a national championship game that was recruited by their staff and the transfers they got filled a hole.   The problem by  itself isn’t getting players from the portal the problem is completely abandoning the high school model and going full portal.   I don’t need to hang around to see how that will go.  High school recruiting was and still will be the life blood of a stable, championship level, striving program.   Teams can and will still be successful only using the portal but in my opinion that won’t stay successful if that’s their model.   

Understood.

The way the question was posted was, what schools with a large number of transfers were “killing it.” Didn’t specify any other criteria. Didn’t say which programs turned around, for instance.

As it stands now, no one knows who is coming back and who is leaving. Other than X and Walker, the rest is conjecture. I think Ware is gone. Other than that, until they announce, there’s a chance we only need to plug 2-3 holes. If that happens, to me that’s manageable.

If the announcement that Woodson is back was a smoke screen, I would think that either May or Pearl would bring guys where plugging holes wasn’t even a concern 

14 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Trilly was talking about Galloway and Leal. Just confirmed on discord. 

Listen, I love Anthony Leal, but him returning does nothing to move the needle.  It would have been tough to see Galloway in another jersey. (But also wouldn't blame him if he moved on).

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good grief Ya Boy.  My 75-year old eyesight doesn't read between the lines.  

I think he is saying that if we win some games Woody can say that he righted the ship and walk away with dignity, which is probably the only way he is going away this year.

2 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Listen, I love Anthony Leal, but him returning does nothing to move the needle.  It would have been tough to see Galloway in another jersey. (But also wouldn't blame him if he moved on).

More fan sentiment 

2 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Wait so it doesn’t have anything to do with MM? lol trilly is straight up trolling IU at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Woody can always say he didn't know Gallo was such a poor shooter.

Well it took 3 years to figure out how much work college coaching is. Galloway had 1 good shooting year in 4, so is that 3 learning years total or does the counter have to start over since he shot well last year?

1.  There are examples of teams mostly loading up through the portal and winning next year.  St John’s is an example although they are basically still just a bubble team but they only kept one player.
2.  The disagreement on this is whether it is the best path to do so + if Woodson is capable of doing it.  Ngw thinks he is, most of the rest of the board does not.
Really is that simple and neither side is changing their feels on that.

For me it’s not even if I think Woody can. I think maybe he could. Depending on warchest size.

It’s 2 parts.

1. Whatever roster we do end up with Woody will underachieve that roster’s full potential. I know that. We have 3 years of evidence of this. He won’t overachieve.

2. Style. Selfishly, I’m ready to see a faster paced offense. Because I’ve clamored for it since Crean and I think we’d be better with a more modern style. And it’s not Woody’s instincts so he isn’t the guru of doing a different style, so even if he switches things up, we won’t reach full potential.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Neither does Galloway tbh, because he cant hit anything other than a floater.  You need three guards/wings on the floor that can shoot.  Galloway, mgbako, and reneau starting makes that impossible.

Neither does Galloway tbh, because he cant hit anything other than a floater.  You need three guards/wings on the floor that can shoot.  Galloway, mgbako, and reneau starting makes that impossible.
Gallo moves the needle. Just not very much. That is all. He competes hard but we will need a ton of help to be great. Hopefully the Woodsons back statement wasn't thinking gallo returning was going to excite the fanbase and take the pressure off

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Turns out Miller Kopp's Indiana VS Everybody sweatshirt should read Simons & Cooks vs Everybody. Trey will be back, that's big. A "friend of a friend" lets call him "Tom A." (Not Allen) is telling Quinn to lace 'em up like it's '76 and meet him in the paint. Because he is going hard down there. 

Tuesday is still happening. David v. Goliath is a memorable story because of its underdog nature. It also sets a precedent for hope to beat the odds when things are looking a certain way. Anticipate we will hear more shortly after. Will solidify what I know with multiple sources before posting here again. Hopefully Thursday. Probably Friday. Thats not to say there will be anything official or qualifying as "news" by the textbook definition. We might only learn more of the context and 'why' underneath what would be a monumentally catastrophic course of action for the program (notable people also share this view). My belief as of now is that can still be avoided. All bets off if BTT goes how many think. Root for a big W today. Just an opinion, I think winning now helps. Controversial? As of now the smart money is still on Woodson. Will the line move again? 

Ok got a few more calls before tip-off. Will the sleeping giant wake up or hit snooze on the alarm again? I encourage decision makers to stroll around Showalter Fountain and recall what this program is capable of when at its best. 

Scotty D out. 

-Ya Boy AD Scott D

When you say all bets off if BTT goes the way many think, can you expand on that? So if IU sucks that can change the calculus?

29 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Turns out Miller Kopp's Indiana VS Everybody sweatshirt should read Simons & Cooks vs Everybody. Trey will be back, that's big. A "friend of a friend" lets call him "Tom A." (Not Allen) is telling Quinn to lace 'em up like it's '76 and meet him in the paint. Because he is going hard down there. 

Tuesday is still happening. David v. Goliath is a memorable story because of its underdog nature. It also sets a precedent for hope to beat the odds when things are looking a certain way. Anticipate we will hear more shortly after. Will solidify what I know with multiple sources before posting here again. Hopefully Thursday. Probably Friday. Thats not to say there will be anything official or qualifying as "news" by the textbook definition. We might only learn more of the context and 'why' underneath what would be a monumentally catastrophic course of action for the program (notable people also share this view). My belief as of now is that can still be avoided. All bets off if BTT goes how many think. Root for a big W today. Just an opinion, I think winning now helps. Controversial? As of now the smart money is still on Woodson. Will the line move again? 

Ok got a few more calls before tip-off. Will the sleeping giant wake up or hit snooze on the alarm again? I encourage decision makers to stroll around Showalter Fountain and recall what this program is capable of when at its best. 

Scotty D out. 

-Ya Boy AD Scott D

I am glad to hear that Tom Abernathy can still go hard in the paint.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

I hear you - doesn’t trigger me haha

i really do wish some of us could talk in person. I think you would be surprised how closer we are on things than not. Text is never easy to have conversations.

said it prior but I think the bigger issue than “fans” is the 50+ IU Twitter/“media” accounts. They drive this and empower the worst part of the fanbase.  One of the few things DD is spot on with all along.

As many have said on here, it’s not your information. It’s your delivery and condescending tone when someone has a different opinion than you do.

37 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Scotty D out. 

-Ya Boy AD Scott D

This seems to suggest if we want Woodson gone, then we should root for a W today, but be one and done in the BTT.

You're gonna need to explain that one to me.

19 minutes ago, yard_dog said:

I get that, but I think a 5th year Gallo still brings a lot of value outside of shooting. 

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Texas Tech is proving other wise as just one example. It has been multiple years now with 5+.

I also think people are don’t really see how many of the top say 50 KenPom have had 4+ transfers this year. In most cases 4+ out too. rough estimate is 60% of them.

Yes, you still need a core. We will have that. We will also keep reciting 2025/2026 and look to bring in a couple but it is a shift in philosophy. Focus majority dollars on transfers and not freshman. 

I still need the receipts. You said “lots and lots of examples” of teams with 5+ transfers in one year that are “killing it”. One example is not “lots and lots”, and I don’t think I would qualify Texas Tech as “killing it”.