Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LamarCheeks

2023 NCAA Baseball Tournament

ISU has a conflict with hosting the Indiana Special Olympics, so won’t be hosting. Ideally they won’t have to travel to Fort Worth, but…guessing they’ll be traveling to Fort Worth. 

35 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

ISU has a conflict with hosting the Indiana Special Olympics, so won’t be hosting. Ideally they won’t have to travel to Fort Worth, but…guessing they’ll be traveling to Fort Worth. 

The Special Olympics event doesn’t use the baseball complex. 

3 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

The Special Olympics event doesn’t use the baseball complex. 

It uses nearly every available hotel room, most of the dorms, volunteers/event staff, and every other piece of the athletics complex. Bit of a predicament there. 

Kind of had a feeling we weren't winning this when we had a runner on first with no outs and two pitches later the inning was over. 

What's with this series ending because UK won't come to Bloomington anymore? I thought it was a joke when I saw it. 

It uses nearly every available hotel room, most of the dorms, volunteers/event staff, and every other piece of the athletics complex. Bit of a predicament there. 
They could have made it work. Our current president, Dr. Curtis is the worst. She has driven Greek life into the ground. Pissed off countless alumni. The special Olympics weekend is HUGE here. Been here since 96 and every year I can remember they having it is a good thing for the city. There were arrangements to be made. Lexington had that Country Music Festival and made it work. These athletes derseve it. I wouldn't be shocked if quite a few of them enter the portal over it.

I've heard from quite a few of my insiders that Dr Curtis blatently used the Special Olympics as an excuse to not have to work at it.

For reference I'm in the blue. The red is my fraternity brother who runs SycamorePride.Com and is well connected.

Lots of frustration here in town.

edited_20230605_233218.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G986U using BtownBanners mobile app

From the Indiana State Athletic Department:

We'd like to take a moment to thank all of our fans, supporters, and the entire Terre Haute community for the amazing outpouring of support this past weekend at the Terre Haute Regional. Due to prior commitments, accommodations not available and the community preparing to welcome Indiana Special Olympics for the 51st year, we are unable to host the NCAA Super Regionals in the coming week.

There are a variety of factors that come into play with the competition for resources and staff. With the potential for multiple large-scale events occurring in the area simultaneously and due to NCAA limitations on hotel distance from the field, there is a lack of hotel space to handle the accommodations required to house the visiting team, the support staff for the games, and the ESPN production crew that would be in attendance.

Finally, the personnel to run the event is a factor we must consider. After hosting the Missouri Valley Tournament and the Terre Haute Regional in back-to-back weeks, keeping additional staff available that are not already working with Special Olympics has affected our potential workforce for another large-scale operation.

We have a great relationship with Special Olympics coming to Terre Haute. We welcome them to our community this weekend and look forward to putting on another great event for them this year.

As such, our baseball team will be heading on the road this weekend for the Super Regionals.  We look forward to you making the trip and cheering on the Sycamores as they continue postseason play on the #RoadToOmaha.

7 hours ago, pappy1865 said:

They could have made it work. Our current president, Dr. Curtis is the worst. She has driven Greek life into the ground. Pissed off countless alumni. The special Olympics weekend is HUGE here. Been here since 96 and every year I can remember they having it is a good thing for the city. There were arrangements to be made. Lexington had that Country Music Festival and made it work. These athletes derseve it. I wouldn't be shocked if quite a few of them enter the portal over it.

I've heard from quite a few of my insiders that Dr Curtis blatently used the Special Olympics as an excuse to not have to work at it.

For reference I'm in the blue. The red is my fraternity brother who runs SycamorePride.Com and is well connected.

Lots of frustration here in town.

edited_20230605_233218.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G986U using BtownBanners mobile app

Not having a dog in this fight...this post seems quite emotional.  

Some of the allegations are apparently, on the surface, hard to fathom.  The University has many balls in the air and has to decide tough issues.  The NCAA has requirements vs traditional commitments...tough choices.

May want to cool down and listen with the intent to understand...not with the intent to respond.

For instance, Kentucky played against Indiana.  It was Kentucky's home field and they were rated #1 seed.  The coin flipped and at times they were not the home team.  They took turns being home team....after the first flip of the coin.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In the aftermath of last night's game, Coach Mercer indicated there will be no further scheduled season games between IU and KY because KY won't play in Bloomington.

Mingione must have been talking to Cal. What a bunch of tools... collectively, they're almost as easy to hate as Purdue.

It's weird how UK doesn't want to play here anymore when they didn't even play here this past season. Calipari was obviously unhappy that we ruined his shot at a perfect season, his poor wittle freshmen had to play in a tough environment and the winning shot still gets talked about over a decade later, but what's the baseball coach's excuse? Did that 20-7 beatdown we put on them last year really sting that much? 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

It's weird how UK doesn't want to play here anymore when they didn't even play here this past season. Calipari was obviously unhappy that we ruined his shot at a perfect season, his poor wittle freshmen had to play in a tough environment and the winning shot still gets talked about over a decade later, but what's the baseball coach's excuse? Did that 20-7 beatdown we put on them last year really sting that much? 

Their baseball coach is a chump. 

On 6/6/2023 at 7:08 AM, Dave from Dayton said:

Not having a dog in this fight...this post seems quite emotional.  

Some of the allegations are apparently, on the surface, hard to fathom.  The University has many balls in the air and has to decide tough issues.  The NCAA has requirements vs traditional commitments...tough choices.

May want to cool down and listen with the intent to understand...not with the intent to respond.

For instance, Kentucky played against Indiana.  It was Kentucky's home field and they were rated #1 seed.  The coin flipped and at times they were not the home team.  They took turns being home team....after the first flip of the coin.

Thanks for the response, Dave! It was an emotional post, for sure. State didn't reach out to the City to ask for help. The Terre Haute Rex were relocated last weekend to Rose Hulman for their home opener since State had the field.   It could have been worked out, but at the end of the day, as long the Trees play their ball, they'll be going to Omaha anyway!

I just saw a video of LSU after winning. Their players all look 30yrs old. No exaggeration, they were interviewing the DH and I thought it was a coach. I can't findf the exact video I watched (from a Baton Rouge station) but here is on Video

UK had only two hit batters in the second game and none in the first game, which they lost 14-0. I guess they have a harder time scoring runs when they aren't hovering over the plate and leaning into pitches. I wonder if Mercer calling them out had any effect on their approach? 

4 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I just saw a video of LSU after winning. Their players all look 30yrs old. No exaggeration, they were interviewing the DH and I thought it was a coach. I can't findf the exact video I watched (from a Baton Rouge station) but here is on Video

Tommy Tanks