Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Basketball Announcers Besides Fisch

23 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I do recall he was from the FW area.  When I saw him doing IU games he was pretty old and seemed to make a lot of mistakes.

Yep. You can tell Chuck carried on that legacy. :)

22 hours ago, pumpfake said:

I do recall he was from the FW area.  When I saw him doing IU games he was pretty old and seemed to make a lot of mistakes.

Later in his career, Hilliard did the on-court interviews after the boys and girls high school basketball championships (when there was one class). He was pretty brutal. 

He'd be interviewing the Trester Award winner and family -- often times a player who wasn't great, but was valedictorian, student body president, etc. -- after the game and it'd go something like this: 

Hilliard: "Mom, you must be awfully proud of Jimmy."
Mom: "Yes, he's a fine boy and works really hard. He earned a scholarship to study at DePauw, so we're very proud of him." 
Hilliard, to Jimmy: "Have you decided where you're going to college, young man?" 

College: Hummel is great and hope we get a ton of games this year. Smart, insightful, and funny. 

Pro: love Mike Breen. Good main play commentator  and his signature calls are emphatic and iconic. 

Color commentator: SVG gives great analysis. Smart basketball mind who isnt afraid to say what he means or call someone out. 

I was born to hate Purdue but really like Hummel as an announcer and (my apologies) I liked him as a player.

I’m not saying he is my absolute favorite but games have a bigger “feel” when Gus Johnson calls it and he will always get bonus points from me for continuously telling the nation that the Hall is the Carnegie Hall of Basketball.

Rafferty, please retire.

Walton, would love to hear your stories for hours, let’s party but PLEASE don’t ever call another IU game.

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

The Bob Knight Show was a Sunday staple growing up. The Purdue Donkey episode is must-watch TV.

Thought about that when this thread started...

the video quality is pretty bad, but technology wasn't that good back in 2008.