Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Basketball Announcers Besides Fisch

Here's a good off-season thread:

Whom are your favorite basketball announcers?

• Let's retire Don Fischer's number because I've never seen a less than glowing word about him, and because I'm sure we have another thread for him on the board.

For me? I used to think Gus Johnson was my absolute favorite, even though sometimes he's a little 'too much'. But as of last season, I have a new absolute favorite; Jason Benetti. Also a fan of Doris Burke, Van Gundy, Kugler, and Hummel. 

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• Let's retire Don Fischer's number because I've never seen a less than glowing word about him, and because I'm sure we have another thread for him on the board.

For me? I used to think Gus Johnson was my absolute favorite, even though sometimes he's a little 'too much'. But as of last season, I have a new absolute favorite; Jason Benetti. Also a fan of Doris Duke, Van Gundy, Kugler, and Hummel. 

Guessing you mean Doris Burke? I still like Gus Johnson -- although with him, it's almost as if I really dig him if IU is winning, but can't stand him if we're losing. LOL. 

Agreed on Benetti -- he's good. I think he and Hummel make a good team!

I also think Ian Eagle is pretty good. He's replacing Nantz as CBS' main NCAA tourney guy. 

Probably my favorite right now anyway, he's great on Big East games, but Andrew Catalon's calls on Purdue-Fairleigh and Memphis-FAU were fantastic.

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me? I used to think Gus Johnson was my absolute favorite, even though sometimes he's a little 'too much'. But as of last season, I have a new absolute favorite; Jason Benetti. Also a fan of Doris Burke, Van Gundy, Kugler, and Hummel. 

What, no Stephen Bardo? lol

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sometimes I think I like Settles and Hummel so much because I'm relieved we didn't draw Bardo for that game.

Made me miss Shon Morris and his cornball jokes. He was always good for taking away a handful of Dumb Cheadle days too.

Being in NY, I'm a fan of Breen and Ian Eagle since they're the 'local' guys. For college, I don't mind Gus when he's with someone other than Raftery. Then it becomes one giant drinking game of out catch-phrasing each other. Too bad Kevin Harlan only does college basketball during the tournament.

I'm curious who NBC brings on; I'm not sure they have had any basketball on in recent years besides the Olympics

I like Ian Eagle, Jim Jackson, Benetti. There were some younger/newer guys that I thought were good during the tournament this year that have the shown the potential to be elevated to the favorite category but only time will tell. Hummel is good when he isn't whining but he has a tendency to whine at times. Still better than many though. Settles is always entertaining. 

It is a lot easier to name my least favorites, Burke, Dykes, and Walton are easily the bottom three and in that order. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Chuck Marlowe, retired IU basketball announcer, dies

Back when Chuck used to do the games, occasionally the signals would go blank for a second or two. We used to joke that he had tripped over the extension cord again and unplugged all the equipment.

3 hours ago, Muskie for three said:

Walton 

I'd pay good money to see Walton paired with Dickie V! It would be a massive "annoy-off", baybeeee!

But seriously, sometimes Walton is pretty funny. I remember a clip of Walton on the Dakich radio show several years ago - 45 minutes of pure gold...

Hummel and Settles aren’t bad for new guys.  I liked when guys like Knight and Calhoun were in the booth. 

Mostly I watch the games on mute with music in the background. I’m not sure what there is to gain from listening to most of these babbling morons. 

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

Chuck was "one of ours".  I have admit I never really cared for Hilliard Gates though.

I'm trying to remember Gates' history, but it has been a long time ago. Seems like he was, at one time, the voice of the old Fort Wayne Pistons, and even did one of the first NBA all star games?

18 minutes ago, Tom White said:

I'm trying to remember Gates' history, but it has been a long time ago. Seems like he was, at one time, the voice of the old Fort Wayne Pistons, and even did one of the first NBA all star games?

I do recall he was from the FW area.  When I saw him doing IU games he was pretty old and seemed to make a lot of mistakes.