Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Schreckbagger

Trayce Jackson-Davis - Golden State Warriors

On 5/16/2023 at 6:25 AM, Dave from Dayton said:

Yes.  I agree.  "Different" it is.

But "extremely" different is different than just merely different.

TJD's role was to be inside.  It was up to others to shoot from out.  I am not taking an issue with the strategy.

So, the final word is that TJD was spectacular at IU.  We were very lucky to have him on the team.  For sure.

But since he never ever displayed a 3-point shot in a game before this, I am stunned.  His stat line shows 0% his senior season at IU.

And in the NBA tryout he hits a surprising 75% at first, then ends up hitting at above 45%...  different than 0%...it is.

Does this raise his prospects in the draft?  Tell me that the evaluators have already taken his 3-point display as just an interesting thing.  I don't feel like that is so.  It is new. sure, he had the potential.  This looks like he is ahead of the potential curve.  And a great opportunity for him and his future team.  Moreso after his 3-point tryout.

TJD was the ultimate team player, done what it took to make the team better.  He felt that the team didn’t need him to shoot 3’s to win ball games

10 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Interesting that he chose not to participate in the combine games. I guess he's got plenty of tape for NBA FO's to look at.

JHS also opted out along with a couple of dozen other players.  I think the thought is if you're pretty sure of your draft status don't screw it up by playing in the 5 x 5 games and risk a poor performance.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

JHS also opted out along with a couple of dozen other players.  I think the thought is if you're pretty sure of your draft status don't screw it up by playing in the 5 x 5 games and risk a poor performance.

Zach Edey opted out too and last I heard, his draft status was still unknown.  I wonder if this is a sign that he does know and he’s staying in the draft

10 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Yeah I get why JHS and some others did, they're locked in as 1st rounders. I figured with TJD being in the 25-45 range he might want another opportunity to show out but maybe he likes where he's at and was more concerned with hurting his stock as you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I honestly figured TJDs standing vertical would have been higher.

Crazy thing, I believe Cody Zeller still owns the record for highest standing vertical among players 6-9 and taller at 35.5. For comparison, TJDs was 33.

Wouldn't have guessed that

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

His interviews didn’t seem to point that direction to me despite every national guy predicting him back to Purdue. 

I got the same impression but it could be wishful thinking on my part!  If he doesn’t return to Purdue, I think that team takes a bigger dip than many think!

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I honestly figured TJDs standing vertical would have been higher.

Crazy thing, I believe Cody Zeller still owns the record for highest standing vertical among players 6-9 and taller at 35.5. For comparison, TJDs was 33.

TJD's standing vertical was 6th highest of all players regardless of position at the combine.  He also had the ninth best shuttle run of all players.

One measurement that was a little surprising is that Oscar Tschiebewe's measured height was only 6' 7 1/4" without shoes.  Not good for a player without a perimeter game.

6 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

TJD's standing vertical was 6th highest of all players regardless of position at the combine.  He also had the ninth best shuttle run of all players.

One measurement that was a little surprising is that Oscar Tschiebewe's measured height was only 6' 7 1/4" without shoes.  Not good for a player without a perimeter game.

I think he was only listed at 6-8 or 6-9 so that makes sense. Also has a 7-3 wingspan. Either way, his rebounding ability by far and away the best in the draft. Had 16 rebounds in the combine scrimmage.

The angle from behind him in the corner about a minute in is really interesting. He blocks his sightline with his shooting arm. Had never been able to see that before, even through 4 years of watching him shoot free throws. Wow. But, he appears to have cleaned up that weird backward lean, so there’s that. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

The angle from behind him in the corner about a minute in is really interesting. He blocks his sightline with his shooting arm. Had never been able to see that before, even through 4 years of watching him shoot free throws. Wow. But, he appears to have cleaned up that weird backward lean, so there’s that. 

I've always thought lefties should watch two dudes and only two to see shooting motions. Manu Ginobili and James Harden. Manus in different. It comes more from the shoulder but it's a good stroke. Harden has a beautiful jumpshot. Goes right up and through, snaps his wrist. Doesn't lean back. What happens up top is consistent(players biggest problem when shooting). Good to see him showing off that skill. He's without a doubt a 1st round talent.

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I've always thought lefties should watch two dudes and only two to see shooting motions. Manu Ginobili and James Harden. Manus in different. It comes more from the shoulder but it's a good stroke. Harden has a beautiful jumpshot. Goes right up and through, snaps his wrist. Doesn't lean back. What happens up top is consistent(players biggest problem when shooting). Good to see him showing off that skill. He's without a doubt a 1st round talent.

The mechanics of great lefty shooting strokes and great righty shooting strokes are …

the same.

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The mechanics of great lefty shooting strokes and great righty shooting strokes are …

the same.

Maybe in a technicality. But it makes more sense to tell lefties to watch other lefties. Lefties are just different. Don't know what it is.