Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

Team Outlook and Class Balance Going Forward

Have to say that staff's 'rebuild' after losing TJD and JHS to the draft and/or graduation, Kopp and Race to graduation, Bates, JG and Duncomb to the Portal is encouraging for the team's outlook going forward.

Not really a big fan of the whole Portal thing, but while Crean showed strong player development / NBA entries, what he really failed to get right (and worsened over time) --  maintaining class balance with high-level players as players declared and/or graduated (Cody, Vic, OG, Yogi, Wat etc.), resulting in major falloffs after a strong season or seasons and in turn at least partly causing lower-level recruiting results -- at this stage Woodson/staff look to have excelled at. Imo, we look to be on the path of sustained / repeat shots at top half or better conference showing and tourney qualification and runs. (CAM's recruiting fell off sharply, leaving that aside for what it was.)

Mgbako, Ware, Cupps, Newton, Walker, Sparks, adding to X, Reneau, Gallo, and the rising sophs. Walker, 4 years of exp (and athleticism) at Miami, Newton a 4-star who pre-injury was ranking in the 60's and looks minimally like a strong combo-guard with upside - an explosive, athletic leaper when healthy, a second-team All-MAC (and MAC FOY) guy in Sparks - a double double guy, on top of the killer player that we all know Mgbako is and Ware and Cupps? 

Can't tell yet how well this team stacks against this past season's team, but that's a Hell of a look towards consistent contention. It also looks like we're finally moving again to better length, athleticism and speed. Particularly important with UCLA etc. coming to the B1G soon. 

We need more shooting, but this is a heck of a start imo.

At first, I was uncertain about getting Sparks and Walker but now I'm really excited about them. Sparks and Walker are both upgrades to Kopp and Race imo. Better finishers, better athleticism. We need that. And now we have it.

I think all eyes are going to be on the 2024 class. There is an opportunity to have a monster class. Many high level prospects are in IU's reach: McNeely, Asa, Harper, Flory. We could potentially get 2 of those guys. That would be a top 5 class right there. 

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Agreed. For instance, my inclination is if your #12 or 13 guy is a Freshman, then you should red-shirt him. Not sure that makes sense anymore. First, ain't nobody got time for that. Second, You are likely just saving a year of eligibility for some other program when he inevetibly transfers. Seems like every year will be rebuild going forward, so class balance is mostly a thing of the past. 

Man. It's going to suck to lose the part of college basketball where you watch a kid's game/personality grow over the course of 4 years. 

It will make those who stick around much more memorable, though, I guess. 

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Really happy that we are showing the ability to play the NIL game. Think we’ll be pretty good next season.As far as class balance I’m not sure that’s gonna be much of a thing with all the transfers.

Maybe, but I see class balance in the works. Mgbacko and Newton- frosh, we have recruited rising sophs with promise, and we replaced graduating vets with experienced talent. Meanwhile we’re recruiting guys like Flory Bidunga, staff is looking at building on elite frosh, like they did with JHS and Reneau, while also bringing in portal transfers, and as some like Reneau stick, that’s balance

2 hours ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Man. It's going to suck to lose the part of college basketball where you watch a kid's game/personality grow over the course of 4 years. 

It will make those who stick around much more memorable, though, I guess. 

We have yet to lose a player to the portal that was expected to have a starting role at IU.

Not many programs have only lost players with an expected diminished role.

A couple points here: some turnover is part of the college game now. It’s fine. As Stuhoo said, IU didn’t lose anyone that really kneecapped them. See the first tweet here, to lose NO ONE would be a top 1% outcome.

I feel a little bad for the players who’ve previously transferred who are having a tough time getting a landing spot…but they probably should’ve known this was a possibility, and it’s a strong signal for the future that you can’t just jump around every offseason.

7 hours ago, lillurk said:

A couple points here: some turnover is part of the college game now. It’s fine. As Stuhoo said, IU didn’t lose anyone that really kneecapped them. See the first tweet here, to lose NO ONE would be a top 1% outcome.

I feel a little bad for the players who’ve previously transferred who are having a tough time getting a landing spot…but they probably should’ve known this was a possibility, and it’s a strong signal for the future that you can’t just jump around every offseason.

It’s not just this year—two years in a row we haven’t lost anyone that had a chance of starting.