Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sardinefarts1991

Who fills the last scholarship?

On 5/12/2023 at 5:45 PM, Sardinefarts1991 said:

It seems we are looking good now, a very athletic group with some great size.

It appears the starting 5 has 4 spots probably locked up.

Xavier

Mackenzie

Reneau

Ware

... Are probably all starters. 

I love Galloway, he's one of my favorite Hoosiers ever and ive been watching 25 years. I think he can fill the shooting guard spot, however, isn't necessary a shooter who runs of screens, more of a set shooter who shoots 40% from 3 only shooting when he catches and is open.

Having Galloway come off bench as 6th man, and having a athletic 3 point shooter would really have this team dangerous. 

Who you guys think we could aim at left in the portal to possibly fill that starting shooting guard spot if Galloway isn't our shooting guard starter?

Man, I love Galloway. However, I love your thinking on the shooter. Galloway as the 6th man, we would be absolute gas. Saying that got me excited again about IU Basketball! 32 yr fan here, been a little bit for me. 

Stay with it woody! Slide us a solid 2 in there from the portal or Gunn/Banks (I really want to see more of these kids playing) someone send us a video of them working out/playing pickup/ something 

9 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Even if he played only 2 games, it sounds like they were at the wrong time of the year. His coach didn't do him any favors by playing him instead of just sitting him. I'd be surprised if he's granted the waiver based on this. 

If he does get that waiver, he sounds like he'd be an excellent addition.

But it’s still under the 9-10 game window. Right?

9 hours ago, yogisballin said:

But it’s still under the 9-10 game window. Right?

Two issues:

1.  The exact wording for a player to meet the requirements of a medical waiver, they have to been under 30% of the total + they have to show medically that they were working towards playing + the games played have to be in the first half of the year.  Woodbury's games were in the conference tournament.

2.  The extra year that players were given was for playing in the 2021-22 season -- that was basically their freebie year.  In Woodbury's case, the season in question was the 2021-22 year and he played four other years besides that one.

So with X, he played four years + part of 2022-23.  The 2021-22 year was a 'freebie', so he only needed the waiver for the 2022-23.  In Woodbury's case, he played four full season and the season in question was 2021-22 -- but the 2021-22 year wouldn't have counted anyway since that was his freebie year.  So I don't think it's an issue so much how much he played in 2021-22 but rather than he already played four years outside of the 2021-22 year.  Basically missing the 2021-22 year in his case is irrelevant because the NCAA did not count that as a season for him.  If the two games he played had been in 2020-21, then he would have a case as neither the 2020-21 and 2021-22 years wouldn't potentially count.

9 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Two issues:

1.  The exact wording for a player to meet the requirements of a medical waiver, they have to been under 30% of the total + they have to show medically that they were working towards playing + the games played have to be in the first half of the year.  Woodbury's games were in the conference tournament.

2.  The extra year that players were given was for playing in the 2021-22 season -- that was basically their freebie year.  In Woodbury's case, the season in question was the 2021-22 year and he played four other years besides that one.

So with X, he played four years + part of 2022-23.  The 2021-22 year was a 'freebie', so he only needed the waiver for the 2022-23.  In Woodbury's case, he played four full season and the season in question was 2021-22 -- but the 2021-22 year wouldn't have counted anyway since that was his freebie year.  So I don't think it's an issue so much how much he played in 2021-22 but rather than he already played four years outside of the 2021-22 year.  Basically missing the 2021-22 year in his case is irrelevant because the NCAA did not count that as a season for him.  If the two games he played had been in 2020-21, then he would have a case as neither the 2020-21 and 2021-22 years wouldn't potentially count.

Excellent point with #2, I hadn't even thought of that. #1 is what I was looking at. Since they were games at the end of the season, I highly doubt he gets the waiver.

22 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Excellent point with #2, I hadn't even thought of that. #1 is what I was looking at. Since they were games at the end of the season, I highly doubt he gets the waiver.

What’s also of note was that in 21-22, NIL was nonexistent (or in its infancy).  I think quite a few players in 21-22 likely wouldn’t have played a fifth year without the kind of NIL that exists just two years later.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:00 AM, RaceToTheTop said:

Two issues:

Makes sense. Giving that is how it is worded then yes, definitely going to be questionable. Appreciate you doing the research for the rest of us (including myself) that were too lazy to look it up.

10 hours ago, lillurk said:

Isn’t it an issue that he played in the last half of the season?

Maybe, but I am of the opinion that isn’t the hang up — the only games he played were in the conference tourney, which would not have counted in games counted toward eligibility.  I’m sure Utah valley checked into that before playing him.  21-22 wouldn’t have been a year that a medical redshirt would have gained anything because the ncaa gave everyone a do over on it and he used four other years.

9 hours ago, Hoosier1984 said:

News from Dayton to Dayton must travel slow.

Yep.  Sharajamts withdrew from the NBA draft consideration on Wednesday.  It was online and posted here Thursday.  Mike Sharavjamts, former Dayton Flyers guard, withdraws from NBA Draft (daytondailynews.com)

Probably, some knew Wednesday.  I didn't. I'm slow...

Didn't see it posted here.  But I was remodeling a bathroom until late. She who must be obeyed is happy.  I am happy.

So, I guess that H1984 may have additional information that was also previously reported here.  Guess that Sharajamts doesn't fit at IU?  Is that what H1984 means?

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey brother, enough pussyfooting around here.

This is the Dayton to IUBB critical mass moment…

Get out there on the streets of Dayton and find out whether Mongolian Mike will soon be MongolianHoosier Mike!

In my post this morning, I linked the Dayton Daily News story.  Here: Mike Sharavjamts, former Dayton Flyers guard, withdraws from NBA Draft (daytondailynews.com)

But it subsequently went poof.  I read the whole article online.  Once yesterday and once today.  But now it is protected and there is a paywall for me.

In case that it goes away again...or you cannot access it...

Just search online for Dayton Daily News sports.  Site will display more current stuff.  But the next line starts a list of linked articles for previous days.  

In the article, it has one video of Sharavjamts.   As a 6' 8" guard/forward he made the A-10 all-rookie team.  He played in 32 of 34 games and averaged 23 minutes per game, 5.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.6 assists pg, 39% 68% 31.5%.

Scouting report: NBA Draft Scouting Report: Dayton's Mike Sharavjamts - NBA Draft Digest - Latest Draft News and Prospect Rankings (si.com)  This says that he walks on water: 

"Sharavjamts possesses a vast passing repertoire. He does all the simple things expected of a point forward, such as running the point in transition and making the right plays on drives with effective drive-and-kick passes, but also adds an advanced level of passing which is rare for a player of his size."  There is much more in the SI article on the 6' 8 3/4" young player.

As an aside, he is the first Mondovian to play D1. Reports have him as being born in Phoenix AZ.  His father is...apparently...very active in promoting his son.  He is about 22 years old.  He attended International Sports Academy as a high school senior. He is thin and needs big-time conditioning and weight training to compete with the best players.

From the Athletic: " He’s a boom-or-bust player that has real defensive deficiencies right now, and I’d recommend that he only goes to uptempo, well-spaced offensive situations that allow him to get the most out of his skill level. Still, he’s worth ranking because the upside if he gets into the right environment is very real."

Woody may be comfortable with our 2 guard rotation right now and unless something really special comes along, he'll stand pat.

I think CJ makes a big jump and we have Trey who will only continue to get better.

3 hours ago, ebridges24 said:

Woody may be comfortable with our 2 guard rotation right now and unless something really special comes along, he'll stand pat.

I think CJ makes a big jump and we have Trey who will only continue to get better.

Watch out for that guy stand pat, people around here will make fun of it.  But I agree!  I’ve been saying that Woody will stay with what they have!  I think it’s a good roster he’s assembled.  We have potentially a couple of 1st round daft picks in MM and Ware and that will help our recruiting 

20 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Watch out for that guy stand pat, people around here will make fun of it.  But I agree!  I’ve been saying that Woody will stay with what they have!  I think it’s a good roster he’s assembled.  We have potentially a couple of 1st round daft picks in MM and Ware and that will help our recruiting 

I love Stand Pat. I think he could take this team to the next level. We are always looking for the next great thing, but Pat is pretty good. Maybe we should give him a chance.

17 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I love Stand Pat. I think he could take this team to the next level. We are always looking for the next great thing, but Pat is pretty good. Maybe we should give him a chance.

See, I told you so.  People around like Stand Pat!  I see the humor in it but CMW is most likely keeping the roster exactly the same.  If he was going to sign someone, he would have already done it by now 

See, I told you so.  People around like Stand Pat!  I see the humor in it but CMW is most likely keeping the roster exactly the same.  If he was going to sign someone, he would have already done it by now 
He is going to sign someone imo. Waiting for the right thing

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, cthomas said:

I don't know.....Stand Pat plays like his feet are stuck in cement.  

But still a better player than Pat Knight.