Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sardinefarts1991

Who fills the last scholarship?

5 minutes ago, J34 said:

For people worried about Cupps, Smith(who was ranked lower than Gabe) started every game for a team that was ranked in the top ten most of the year. And a #1 seed. Not saying he should start, but this kid will be just fine.

Exactly. If he were gonna start I could see some concern, but seems he's looking at 8-10 mins a game. I think he'll be fine. 

18 minutes ago, J34 said:

For people worried about Cupps, Smith(who was ranked lower than Gabe) started every game for a team that was ranked in the top ten most of the year. And a #1 seed. Not saying he should start, but this kid will be just fine.

And it was a bit of a surprise and general outlier. Search threads back a year on this site and you’ll see many knowledgeable posters laughing at how bad Purdue’s backcourt was going to be this past year. And for good reason as we could probably find a bunch of recruits ranked similarly to Smith who barely saw the floor last year. Banks and Gunn were ranked higher and didn’t play consistently for us. 

If I were just going by rankings, I wouldn’t count on Cupps for more than pretty limited backup mins next year.  But people on here who pay attention to recruiting seem pretty high on him being able to contribute from day 1. So there’s some hope for optimism there. 

1 hour ago, J34 said:

Purdue had something that IU won't have this year which made a huge difference with how effective their freshman guards could be: Edey.

Cupps is already one of my favorite players on the team next year but I don't expect him to have a huge impact as a freshman. He might get 10 mpg. Maybe.

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Purdue had something that IU won't have this year which made a huge difference with how effective their freshman guards could be: Edey.

Cupps is already one of my favorite players on the team next year but I don't expect him to have a huge impact as a freshman. He might get 10 mpg. Maybe.

We'll have something they won't have next year. Long,athletic defenders to be able to help and recover when needed. Gabe Cupps will thrive playing with this kind of talent. It might not be this year, but he'll have the keys to the car, one day.

RE: Cupps, I'm not really worried about him per se.

By the time he is done here, I won't be surprised if we talk about him in the same breath as Yogi, and he's widely considered one of the best IU PGs ever/since Isiah, at least. 

I just don't really expect much from him his freshman year. I won't be surprised if he gets the kind of minutes Banks had/Gunn saw earlier on in the year and makes the most of it. But that might translate to 15 mpg kind of role best case scenario which Malik had this year. Which was definitely a solid contributor role in the rotation, but I also don't want to rely on him as the backup and potentially get injured then have TG end up with primary ball handler responsibilities, which would not go well. 

Ideal scenario he plays 8-12mpg freshman year IMO toward the end of the season maybe thats up to 18-20ish, who knows. ... but I don't really expect him to do much more than any other similarly ranked PG (albeit yes I like his tape/he has plenty of accolades, etc.)

59 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

What Purdue didn’t have, though, was an experienced point guard to learn from.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

What Purdue didn’t have, though, was an experienced point guard to learn from.

Which also means they didn't have an experienced point guard to start and play the majority of minutes. Smith played by default but didn't look as bad as he could've because they had Edey.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Which also means they didn't have an experienced point guard to start and play the majority of minutes. Smith played by default but didn't look as bad as he could've because they had Edey.

That was my point as well.  Edey’s status is huge for them because the I would expect a drop off from the other player’s play if he doesn’t come back.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Agree, any point guard is serviceable if the main thing you have to do is throw it in to Edey

15 hours ago, TeeterInNJ said:

By the time he is done here, I won't be surprised if we talk about him in the same breath as Yogi, and he's widely considered one of the best IU PGs ever/since Isiah, at least. 

Gabe Cupps is already an IU fan favorite. IU fans like Cupps because he has a great attitude, clearly loves IU, and seems to have very good point guard skills. But to put him in the same category as Isiah Thomas is simply ridiculous. Isiah was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the country coming out of high school. He is one of the greatest point guards of all time--college and NBA. A better comparison is Rob Phinisee.  Cupps is ranked about the same as Phinisee was. IU fans were convinced that Phinisee was the next Yogi Farrell. And, maybe if not for injuries things might have turned out better for him. But he was never going to be in the same category as Yogi (who was a McDonalds All American). Cupps is a fine player who will see considerable playing time and hopefully provide some great moments (as Phinisee did, e.g., buzzer beater against Butler and beating Purdue almost single handedly) during his college career. But he is not at the talent level of Yogi Farrell much less Isiah Thomas.

32 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Gabe Cupps is already an IU fan favorite. IU fans like Cupps because he has a great attitude, clearly loves IU, and seems to have very good point guard skills. But to put him in the same category as Isiah Thomas is simply ridiculous. Isiah was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the country coming out of high school. He is one of the greatest point guards of all time--college and NBA. A better comparison is Rob Phinisee.  Cupps is ranked about the same as Phinisee was. IU fans were convinced that Phinisee was the next Yogi Farrell. And, maybe if not for injuries things might have turned out better for him. But he was never going to be in the same category as Yogi (who was a McDonalds All American). Cupps is a fine player who will see considerable playing time and hopefully provide some great moments (as Phinisee did, e.g., buzzer beater against Butler and beating Purdue almost single handedly) during his college career. But he is not at the talent level of Yogi Farrell much less Isiah Thomas.

Your point stands but Cupps is ranked better than Phinisee out of HS. Phinisee 247 composite was 131 (rating of 0.9401) while Cupps is at 91 (rating of 0.9598). So closer to Phinisee than to Isiah or Yogi but I wouldn't say about the same.

7 hours ago, Honkyman said:

To be totally clear, I said "one of the best" and "since Isiah" ... but I can see how my post was worded in a way where it could be read this way. Good, maybe even great player - Isiah, he is not... 

1 hour ago, TeeterInNJ said:

To be totally clear, I said "one of the best" and "since Isiah" ... but I can see how my post was worded in a way where it could be read this way. Good, maybe even great player - Isiah, he is not... 

I dunno, was thinking he’s more a combo of Magic, Bird, Nash with a sprinkle of MJ? 
Kidding aside, he has the look of a kid who can develop into a guy who, as a pure point, can thrive with the kind of length and athletic players we’re seeing committed now and hopefully going forward. He’ll learn under X, he’ll get stronger with the IU weight and conditioning training and age. It’s always great to get a Yogi level point, but he shouldn’t have to be Yogi, a true point surrounded by attacking wings, scoring guards and mobile bigs is just as good.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Wheza Panzo committed to Iona and can be marked off.  Same with Mika Adams-Wood, for transferred from Cincinnati to St. Bonaventure.

If you look solely at guys with 1 year of eligibility form the list above, you have:

Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley State.  Guy I've mentioned that I really like.  Basically a better version of Trey Galloway.  Assumption he will end up at a power 5 where it looks like he will start.  Leaning toward Ole Miss right now.

Jayvis Henry, Tenn Tech.  After being little used at James Madison for two seasons, had a breakthrough year at Tennessee Tech.  Went from hitting only 8 of 53 threes over two years to hitting 50 of 114 last year.

Caleb Grill, Iowa State.  Started for Iowa State last year, averagin 9 ppg.  Am assuming he probably looking for a landing spot where he is going to get a lot of shots.

Allen Flanigan, Auburn.  Thoughts are he will follow his dad.

Kruz Perrott-Hunt, South Dakota.  Worth a look IMO.  Career 40% three point shooter.

Since you posted this, I've become kind of obsessed with Trey Woodbury. 6'4" CG who averaged almost 14/6/5 on 45/39/73 splits with a better than 2/1 asst/to and apparently a pretty decent defender. Have watched all the video I can find of him and would probably take him over Cam Spencer. And, as a 1 yr kid, perfect. But, he's currently in limbo pending an appeal for being turned down for a medical waiver, which is pretty bazaar since he basically lost an entire season to injury playing all of 2 conference tournament games at the end of the season. No idea if he'll play or what Woody's plans are, but I'd be onboard with that one in a second. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Since you posted this, I've become kind of obsessed with Trey Woodbury. 6'4" CG who averaged almost 14/6/5 on 45/39/73 splits with a better than 2/1 asst/to and apparently a pretty decent defender. Have watched all the video I can find of him and would probably take him over Cam Spencer. And, as a 1 yr kid, perfect. But, he's currently in limbo pending an appeal for being turned down for a medical waiver, which is pretty bazaar since he basically lost an entire season to injury playing all of 2 conference tournament games at the end of the season. No idea if he'll play or what Woody's plans are, but I'd be onboard with that one in a second. 

Even if he played only 2 games, it sounds like they were at the wrong time of the year. His coach didn't do him any favors by playing him instead of just sitting him. I'd be surprised if he's granted the waiver based on this. 

If he does get that waiver, he sounds like he'd be an excellent addition.

3 hours ago, Demo said:

For anyone who hasn't seen him play, but I don't know how anybody watching him couldn't love the kid.  I would liken him to a shorter Sam Griesel but tougher and both a better rebounder and ball handler.  Can score at multiple levels.

The medical waiver thing is kind of a joke because the two games he played were in the conference tournament -- so they wouldn't have even counted toward eligibility games.  Also sounds like his first waiver was denied and he was appealing it, but there would be little chance that it would get overturned on second appeal.

Another reason that it may not get overturned is that it occurred during 21-22, which was the season that basically the NCAA gave players that played in it an extra season.....so they may say he's already used all of his seasons up (he played 4 seasons + the games in 21-22).

Here is some video on him.  A lot to like.

For anyone who hasn't seen him play, but I don't know how anybody watching him couldn't love the kid.  I would liken him to a shorter Sam Griesel but tougher and both a better rebounder and ball handler.  Can score at multiple levels.
The medical waiver thing is kind of a joke because the two games he played were in the conference tournament -- so they wouldn't have even counted toward eligibility games.  Also sounds like his first waiver was denied and he was appealing it, but there would be little chance that it would get overturned on second appeal.
Another reason that it may not get overturned is that it occurred during 21-22, which was the season that basically the NCAA gave players that played in it an extra season.....so they may say he's already used all of his seasons up (he played 4 seasons + the games in 21-22).
Here is some video on him.  A lot to like.

Love the power dunks. I definitely could get on board, if he becomes eligible.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sweetpain said:

Love the power dunks. I definitely could get on board, if he becomes eligible.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The dunk against New Mexico toward the middle was really sweet.  Just determined he was going to do it and neither of the defenders considered that he would think to do it.