Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sardinefarts1991

Who fills the last scholarship?

8 hours ago, yogisballin said:

We don’t have anything to worry about. Our combo guard is Galloway, in the event something happens to XJ and Cupps can’t handle 30 mpg.

That’s a pretty poor backup plan, imo.  

In that scenario I’d specifically worry about Galloway’s ability to successfully drive a PnR offense for long stretches. Also since Galloway is primarily a good spot up shooter, but not so much off the dribble, moving him to PG takes away our one proven 3pt threat.  

Hypothetically if XJ were to become unavailable in a similar time frame as last year and we had to move Galloway to PG full time for 80% of the season, I would have serious doubts about us making the tourney.

I really don't see a reason to hang on to a scholarship in the current climate of the portal and players moving all the time. My preference would be to get a player who can help us for one year. I like Galloway a lot, and maybe having some forwards who can hit from the outside opens things up for him, but I really just think we need about 13-15 PPG from that position. But, then again, maybe not. Last year's team definitely could have used that, but maybe there's enough scoring at other positions on this team. Gallo is that guy that will wear on opposing players over the course of the game, and there's a lot to be said for that. Whether it's Gallo or someone else, I just want him to be able to take advantage of the offensive opportunities that present themselves over the course of the game.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

That’s a pretty poor backup plan, imo.  

In that scenario I’d specifically worry about Galloway’s ability to successfully drive a PnR offense for long stretches. Also since Galloway is primarily a good spot up shooter, but not so much off the dribble, moving him to PG takes away our one proven 3pt threat.  

Hypothetically if XJ were to become unavailable in a similar time frame as last year and we had to move Galloway to PG full time for 80% of the season, I would have serious doubts about us making the tourney.

Really it’s not the backup plan. The backup plan is Cupps. Galloway is the tertiary plan. You’d need to have 2 things go wrong to get to the scenario of Galloway running the PG duties 30 minutes a game.

At that point I’d argue it is what it is. There isn’t enough roster space to account for all possible worst case scenarios. Conversely say Ware gets injured and one of the other bugs isn’t ready to go. Well now was are screwed in the  post bc we went from 4-5 deep to 2-3 deep.

We also have Newton who is a combo guard who can play some spot minutes if needed at PG. If we add a player I’d get a wing over someone to be 3rd string PG. still the thinnest area imo. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

From another board, someone saw Woody at the golf course Saturday and told him we still need one more, and Woody replied already working on it. So guessing we're going to take someone, just hoping it is someone who helps and doesn't just fill the spot. 

We will know who's dropping from draft consideration likely this week, pretty certainly by the end of next week.

17 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Really it’s not the backup plan. The backup plan is Cupps. Galloway is the tertiary plan. You’d need to have 2 things go wrong to get to the scenario of Galloway running the PG duties 30 minutes a game.

At that point I’d argue it is what it is. There isn’t enough roster space to account for all possible worst case scenarios. Conversely say Ware gets injured and one of the other bugs isn’t ready to go. Well now was are screwed in the  post bc we went from 4-5 deep to 2-3 deep.

You’d have to go back up the thread to see where I said a lot of the need depends on how you view Cupps ability to play real min effectively at PG. I’m generally less bullish on frosh PG in general , but I don’t follow and have no opinion on Cupps. 

I disagree on the last paragraph, but I’m not Woody. An absence of Ware or Reneau could easily see the team play smaller and/or 4out-1in with Banks and MM soaking up mins at a stretch 4 spot. It’s becoming clearer though that Woody doesn’t want to play that way and wants two bigs on the floor at most times. Thus the signing of guys like Walker.  

It’s about utilizing limited resources but you also have to play the style you want to play. You can’t be somebody you’re not. As it stands now we have a fantastic front line and are a little thin on shooting and ball handling.

50 minutes ago, Feathery said:

We also have Newton who is a combo guard who can play some spot minutes if needed at PG. If we add a player I’d get a wing over someone to be 3rd string PG. still the thinnest area imo. 

IMO, at the wing position we have MM and Banks + Galloway can slide over there.  IMO the biggest need is still at the 2 spot, whether it starter or backup.

With our last spot, I'd definitely like to find a combo guard that can take on back up ball handler duties, shoot well from 3, and solid perimeter defense. Easier said than done obviously lol... but tough to not feel really good about next year's roster.

I said we'd learn a lot about the staff and program based on how they filled out the roster this offseason... consider me fully impressed!

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What is the perceived style of play for next year? I think we all imagined 1 under the basket big and 4 guys that were interchangeable to varying degrees but it seems like we will be back to having 2 under the basket bigs.

It would be nice to get a kid that can break down his defender and get to the hoop but it doesn’t seem like that is the direction with 2 bigs under there

Curious to hear what others think, but I can see us being a lot more versatile in terms of the sets we run next year. 

I can see us definitely running some of the same action we did this year with TJD and JHS, with X and Malik. 

I could also see us going 4 out a bit, with Ware getting some outside shots and Mack/Reneau crashing the boards. 

What I'm most excited about is having a roster where we can play a lot of situational basketball and exploit mismatches. Think its really going to be a fun year to watch. 

Saw you can get some semi decent tix for IU vs Kansas for around $700 right now - what a steal lol. 

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

What is the perceived style of play for next year? I think we all imagined 1 under the basket big and 4 guys that were interchangeable to varying degrees but it seems like we will be back to having 2 under the basket bigs.

It would be nice to get a kid that can break down his defender and get to the hoop but it doesn’t seem like that is the direction with 2 bigs under there

We have two back to the baskets bigs on the entire roster and Reneau is versatile enough to spend some time out of the post. It is a stretch to think that both of those players will spend much time at all on the floor together but if they do, Reneau won't likely be playing in the post. Beyond the post and backup post, we have 3 tall guys that can play out on the perimeter to varying degrees. 

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I would think Ware will allow us to run a ton of horns.

https://www.coachesclipboard.net/HornsOffense.html

Woody liked Zoom offense with JHS as the feature. Look for Zoom offense with Mack on the curl next season:

https://www.hooperuniversity.com/breakdowns/northern-iowa-5-out-offense

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

I don't think it's that crazy to consider that either Cupps or Newton could start next to X. Not saying I think they will, but its possible. 

I don't think it's crazy, and I do think we'll see an X, Cupps/Newton, MM, MR, KW rotation on the court some next year. But, I think TG has earned the spot and has the trust of Woody, so expect to see him there unless we find a clear upgrade at that spot

46 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Unless some stud falls out of the sky, I wouldn’t add an another player that has more than one or two years of eligibility. Too many good gets in 24 and 25.  

Depending on how good they are, I agree 1 year would be ideal (maybe 2 if they're that good, but more would be ehh).

Just think we really need to grab (at minimum) a ball handler with decent shooting to be a back up for XJ (probably can expect the same kind of minutes as Walker). God forbid we get hobbled in the backcourt next year. Wouldn't want to put 30 mins per game as a freshman on Cupps shoulders, unless I'm seriously underestimating him...

Also, Gallo proved he can handle bringing the ball up on spot duty this year, but that does seriously impact how good we can be IMO. I want him to be free to play his game. 

Yes, having bigs who can shoot/space the floor changes things for us. But, the injury bug is undefeated and you can never have too much talent on the roster