Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sardinefarts1991

Who fills the last scholarship?

10 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Not advocating for him, but might be a little like K. Ware in that statistics weren’t great but the pedigree is there. Had offers from UNC, AZ, Texas, Houston. Remember he came into a program that returned five starters from a national champ game team. 

That team was not good - he had 2 years to make an impact and didn’t. 

there has to be way better options than a bench player from a team that didn’t make the tourney

That is more his level. If the staff was truly interested we would have known. We should stop thinking they have any interest in a kid like that. 
I think it may take time for our fans to adjust to what Woody’s vision, expectations are and the talent level and type of player he wants. 

I was laughing at the irony of his prediction being null and void in 20 whole minutes.

If we add one, and I think we will, it’s an early draft entrant (most likely) RayJ or Caleb Love (lol). I don’t think they bother with a depth piece in a position that Galloway and Gunn can play unless it’s a ridiculous 3 point shooter.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

If Gunn would have played that many minutes for those schools, I bet he would have shot a higher percentage from 3

Gunn didn't play that much against the best schools on IU's schedule. His minutes were primarily in the pre-conference against lesser teams. In any event, he has to become a much more reliable long range shooter against good teams than he demonstrated last season or he won't play meaningful minutes during the conference schedule. Speculating how he might have performed against lesser competition is irrelevant.

13 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

D’Marco Dunn might be a name to keep an eye on. UNC shooting guard just into the portal. Heard he reached out to the staff. 

I saw his name this  morning and wondered. 2 things I didn’t like.  He’s got 2 years left and he’s not a great % shooter.  

8 hours ago, str8baller said:

We need a ballhandler as bad as more shooting. So where the last scholarship goes depends on what you think of Cupps. Can he handle 10min a game of B1G level PG duties every game? Could he handle 30min if something were to happen to XJ (ie foul trouble, injury, etc…). 

If the answer to any of those questions is less than an enthusiastic “yes.” Then we need a combo type guard who can handle the rock and initiate offense to get the ball to a our big front line when XJ is on the bench.   

When some of us were questioning the wisdom of getting another backup in Walker this was sort of the point. We have 3 traditional bigs—Ware, Reneau, and Sparks. And two guys who can easily play a stretch 4 in MM and Banks. Did we really need a 10mpg backup 4? Well…maybe. But we definitely still need shooting AND a backup ballhandler.  

So my vote goes for a combo-guard who can shoot and play backup PG. 

I say this partially with tongue in cheek.  Check out Mackenzie’s ball handling video from Instagram today, heck let him bring it up if X is out!

10 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

I saw his name this  morning and wondered. 2 things I didn’t like.  He’s got 2 years left and he’s not a great % shooter.  

Two things I like:

He’s a great kid from a great family who would add to the culture.

He’s an athlete that has potential to be a catch and shoot player.

Updated list with years eligibility listed and recent commitments.

1.  Ray J. Dennis, Toldeo.  Combo guard.  19.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 5.7 apg.  Shot 48/36/78.  Most analysts believe he is headed to Illinois.  1 year of eligbility

2.  Tyrin Lawrence, Vanderbilt.  wing guard.  13.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.7 apg.  Shot 36% from three.  Analysts think he will be going to Auburn.  2 or 3 years of eligibility.

3.  Greg Dolan, Cornell.  Combo guard.  13.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.3 apg.  Shot 42% from three.   COMMITTED TO LOYOLA (ILL)

4.  Andrew Taylor, Marshall, scoring point guard.  20.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.7 apg.  36% from three.  COMMITTED TO MISSISSIPPI ST

5.  Wheza Panzo, Stetson.  wing guard.  8.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 apg.  Shot 46% from three.  1 year of eligibility.

6.  Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley, combo guard.  14.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.7 apg.  40% from three.  1 year of eligibility.

7.  Nate Calmese, Lamar.  17.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.6 apg.  Shot 37% from three.  3 years of eligibility.

8.  A.J. Plitzuweit, South Dakota.  11.5 ppg,2.3 rpg, 2.6 apg, Shot 40% from three. 2 years of eligibility

9.  Kam Woods, NC A&T.  combo guard. 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg.  Shot 34% from three.  2 years of eligibility

10,  Jaylin Sellers, Ball State.  wing guard.  13.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.9 apg.  Shot 44% from three.  3 years of eligibility.

11.  Collin Moore, Georgia St.  wing guard.  14.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.0 apg.  36% from three.  2 years of eligibiiity

12.  Jesse Zarzuela, Central Michigan.  scoring point guard.  16.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg.  36% from three. 3 years of eligibility

13.  Jaylen Murray, St. Peter's.  scoring point guard.  12.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.3 apg.   35% from three.  3 years of eligibility

14.  Jarius Hickland, North Florida, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.0 apg.  36% from three.  COMMITTED TO OKLAHOMA ST

15.  Jayvis Henry, Tennessee Tech, combo guard.  12.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 45% from three. 1 year of eligibility

16.  Anthony Roy, New Mexico St, wing guard.  11.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.6 apg.  44% from three.  3 years of eligibility

17.  Caleb Grill, Iowa St, wing guard.  9.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg.  37% from three.  1 year of eligibility

18.  Allen Flanigan, Auburn, wing guard. 10.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg.  33% from three. 1 year of eligibility

19.  Kruz Perott-Hunt, South Dakota.  14.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.2 apg.  42% from three.  1 year of eligibility.

20.  Dominic Brewton, Alcorn State, wing guard.  12.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.7 apg.  26% from three.  2 years of eligibility

21.  Mika Adams-Woods, scoring point guard.  9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.2 apg.36% from three.  1 year of eligibility

22.  Kevin Voyles, UMES, wing guard.  12.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.7 apg.  33% from three.  2 years of eligibility

23.  Zid Powell, Buffalo, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg.  17% from three.  3 years of eligibility

Added:  On3 #17 overall portal shooting guard D'Marco Dunn, North Carolina.  2.7 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg.  32% from three.  3 years of eligibility

On3 #33 overall portal shooting guard Ian Martinez, Maryland.  5.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.6 apg.  40% from three.  2 years of eligibility

On3 #34 overall portal shooting guard Isaiah Range, Alabama State:  14.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.2 apg.  43% from three.  3 years of eligibility

On3 #35 overall portal shooting guard Femi Odukale, Seton Hall:  7.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg.  29% from three.  2 years of eligibility.

On3: #36 overall portal shooting guard Anthony Dell'Orso:  12.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg.  32% from three.  3 years of eligibility.

On3: #12 overall portal combo guard Deshawndre Washington, New Mexico St:  11.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.8 apg.  33% from three.  3 years of eligibiility

Wheza Panzo committed to Iona and can be marked off.  Same with Mika Adams-Wood, for transferred from Cincinnati to St. Bonaventure.

If you look solely at guys with 1 year of eligibility form the list above, you have:

Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley State.  Guy I've mentioned that I really like.  Basically a better version of Trey Galloway.  Assumption he will end up at a power 5 where it looks like he will start.  Leaning toward Ole Miss right now.

Jayvis Henry, Tenn Tech.  After being little used at James Madison for two seasons, had a breakthrough year at Tennessee Tech.  Went from hitting only 8 of 53 threes over two years to hitting 50 of 114 last year.

Caleb Grill, Iowa State.  Started for Iowa State last year, averagin 9 ppg.  Am assuming he probably looking for a landing spot where he is going to get a lot of shots.

Allen Flanigan, Auburn.  Thoughts are he will follow his dad.

Kruz Perrott-Hunt, South Dakota.  Worth a look IMO.  Career 40% three point shooter.

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Wheza Panzo committed to Iona and can be marked off.  Same with Mika Adams-Wood, for transferred from Cincinnati to St. Bonaventure.

If you look solely at guys with 1 year of eligibility form the list above, you have:

Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley State.  Guy I've mentioned that I really like.  Basically a better version of Trey Galloway.  Assumption he will end up at a power 5 where it looks like he will start.  Leaning toward Ole Miss right now.

Jayvis Henry, Tenn Tech.  After being little used at James Madison for two seasons, had a breakthrough year at Tennessee Tech.  Went from hitting only 8 of 53 threes over two years to hitting 50 of 114 last year.

Caleb Grill, Iowa State.  Started for Iowa State last year, averagin 9 ppg.  Am assuming he probably looking for a landing spot where he is going to get a lot of shots.

Allen Flanigan, Auburn.  Thoughts are he will follow his dad.

Kruz Perrott-Hunt, South Dakota.  Worth a look IMO.  Career 40% three point shooter.

I thought Grill signed with Missouri 

I've been thinking about it.  I really think you just slot Galloway in at the 2 and roll with it.

Xavier/Galloway/Mackenzie/Reneau/ware.

With a great bench, gunn and banks may take a great freshman to sophomore jump.  Cupps spotting up backup PG mins, slowly eased in as he's ready. Walker and sparks covering the bigs.  Sounds great to me.

6 minutes ago, Sardinefarts1991 said:

I've been thinking about it.  I really think you just slot Galloway in at the 2 and roll with it.

Xavier/Galloway/Mackenzie/Reneau/ware.

With a great bench, gunn and banks may take a great freshman to sophomore jump.  Cupps spotting up backup PG mins, slowly eased in as he's ready. Walker and sparks covering the bigs.  Sounds great to me.

I keep going back and forth on this. In my opinion, Galloway has earned the spot. But, Galloway seems like the consummate team guy who just wants to win. If we can find a clearly better player, and I mean checks all the boxes better, then we have to add them. In the current environment, there really is no next year. You have to win now.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, str8baller said:

We need a ballhandler as bad as more shooting. So where the last scholarship goes depends on what you think of Cupps. Can he handle 10min a game of B1G level PG duties every game? Could he handle 30min if something were to happen to XJ (ie foul trouble, injury, etc…). 

If the answer to any of those questions is less than an enthusiastic “yes.” Then we need a combo type guard who can handle the rock and initiate offense to get the ball to a our big front line when XJ is on the bench.   

When some of us were questioning the wisdom of getting another backup in Walker this was sort of the point. We have 3 traditional bigs—Ware, Reneau, and Sparks. And two guys who can easily play a stretch 4 in MM and Banks. Did we really need a 10mpg backup 4? Well…maybe. But we definitely still need shooting AND a backup ballhandler.  

So my vote goes for a combo-guard who can shoot and play backup PG. 

We don’t have anything to worry about. Our combo guard is Galloway, in the event something happens to XJ and Cupps can’t handle 30 mpg.

28 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I keep going back and forth on this. In my opinion, Galloway has earned the spot. But, Galloway seems like the consummate team guy who just wants to win. If we can find a clearly better player, and I mean checks all the boxes better, then we have to add them. In the current environment, there really is no next year. You have to win now.

and not just because we got him but prior to his injury, I really thought Newton was under valued and I hope he still is. If he’s the same player, I think we’ve got a good one here guys and gals.