Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sardinefarts1991

Who fills the last scholarship?

23 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I think Gunn will be good, it just seemed the game was still too fast for him last year!  When it slows down for him, look out!

Agreed and there is nothing unusual or wrong with that. In the last several years we've been conditioned to think Freshman should immediately contribute or they are failures. However, even in the year-around specialized training & high-caliber AAU/Prep School age we live that is still quite rare. +95% kids need some time to develop. 

This is why the portal is such a revelation, it's not all projection, there is a body of work to evaluate.

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I don’t think we want to waste a scholarship on a 2 year guard unless he is elite. If they can’t find that elite talent and athlete, they will roll with what they have. 

is that “insider” insight, no. Just that I see a pattern here. 

I also am not sure Rayj is an Illinois lock like these “analysts” believe. Seems like the KU story and assumptions again. He would not be taking all the visits he if he was. Now, for some reason we have not gotten him to bite for us yet and maybe his agent wants too much. We have been in contact with his agent for many weeks now.

I still think there is an NBA guy that will pop up and be perfect option. Just a hunch 

No insider intel here either, but I would advocate for doing whatever makes the team better for this upcoming season without too much concern for down the road. IU very possibly could lose 5-7 players again so roster management is gonna be an annual scramble. Not saying Sellers is "the" guy, but whoever brings something else to the table is fine with me. Of course, with MM onboard IU can be more choosy about the last opening so you might be right about being selective. 

4 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

According to Torvik, the top rated guards left are.

1.  Ray J. Dennis, Toldeo.  Combo guard.  19.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 5.7 apg.  Shot 48/36/78.  Most analysts believe he is headed to Illinois.

2.  Tyrin Lawrence, Vanderbilt.  wing guard.  13.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.7 apg.  Shot 36% from three.  Analysts think he will be going to Auburn.

3.  Greg Dolan, Cornell.  Combo guard.  13.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.3 apg.  Shot 42% from three.  His twitter page said he signed with Loyola (Chi) on April 18), so Torvik might have just missed it.

4.  Andrew Taylor, Marshall, scoring point guard.  20.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.7 apg.  36% from three.

5.  Wheza Panzo, Stetson.  wing guard.  8.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 apg.  Shot 46% from three.

6.  Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley, combo guard.  14.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.7 apg.  40% from three

7.  Nate Calmese, Liberty.  17.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.6 apg.  Shot 37% from three.

8.  A.J. Plitzuweit, South Dakota.  11.5 ppg,2.3 rpg, 2.6 apg, Shot 40% from three.

9.  Kam Woods, NC A&T.  combo guard. 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg.  Shot 34% from three.

10,  Jaylin Sellers, Ball State.  wing guard.  13.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.9 apg.  Shot 44% from three.

11.  Collin Moore, Georgia St.  wing guard.  14.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.0 apg.  36% from three.

12.  Jesse Zarzuela, Central Michigan.  scoring point guard.  16.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg.  36% from three.

13.  Jaylen Murray, St. Peter's.  scoring point guard.  12.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.3 apg.   35% from three.

14.  Jarius Hickland, North Florida, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.0 apg.  36% from three.

15.  Jayves Henry, Tennessee Tech, combo guard.  12.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 45% from three.

16.  Anthony Roy, New Mexico St, wing guard.  11.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.6 apg.  44% from three.

17.  Caleb Grill, Iowa St, wing guard.  9.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg.  37% from three.

18.  Allen Flanigan, Auburn, wing guard. 10.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg.  33% from three.

19.  Kruz Perott-Hunt, South Dakota.  14.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.2 apg.  42% from three.

20.  Dominic Brewton, Alcorn State, wing guard.  12.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.7 apg.  26% from three.

21.  Mika Adams-Woods, scoring point guard.  9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.2 apg.36% from three

22.  Kevin Voyes, UMES, wing guard.  12.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.7 apg.  33% from three

23.  Zid Powell, Buffalo, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg.  17% from three

Go up to Muncie again and grab the Sellers kid.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Go up to Muncie again and grab the Sellers kid.

Of the current realistic options I'm aware of, I think I like him the most. Plus, not that it's a determining factor, but it'd be nice to have some of the pre-existing chemistry between him and Sparks. 

Just now, TeeterInNJ said:

Of the current realistic options I'm aware of, I think I like him the most. Plus, not that it's a determining factor, but it'd be nice to have some of the pre-existing chemistry between him and Sparks. 

Do we know if he or IU has shown interest in the other? I was kinda dialed in on MM, so likely missed any other news.

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

Do we know if he or IU has shown interest in the other? I was kinda dialed in on MM, so likely missed any other news.

Good question actually, I am assuming he'd be interested but haven't seen any news saying as much myself. My bad. Maybe others have seen reporting to that effect? 

We need a ballhandler as bad as more shooting. So where the last scholarship goes depends on what you think of Cupps. Can he handle 10min a game of B1G level PG duties every game? Could he handle 30min if something were to happen to XJ (ie foul trouble, injury, etc…). 

If the answer to any of those questions is less than an enthusiastic “yes.” Then we need a combo type guard who can handle the rock and initiate offense to get the ball to a our big front line when XJ is on the bench.   

When some of us were questioning the wisdom of getting another backup in Walker this was sort of the point. We have 3 traditional bigs—Ware, Reneau, and Sparks. And two guys who can easily play a stretch 4 in MM and Banks. Did we really need a 10mpg backup 4? Well…maybe. But we definitely still need shooting AND a backup ballhandler.  

So my vote goes for a combo-guard who can shoot and play backup PG. 

Exactly what I was conveying . Look, even Walker is an elite athlete where we needed depth. We don’t need depth at guard. We need an elite athlete that can guard, dribble and shoot. If they can’t find him (believe they have multiple options they are working) then they won’t just fill it. 

Disagree.

We have a primary ball handler, a backup true point, and Gallo who can cover the spot.

While ball handling skills would be a plus, a catch and shoot guy would fill a greater need IMO.

Rayj Dennis would cover both needs, but there’s a reason he’s in such high demand.

Difference is we now have a catch and shoot guys from both MM and Ware. Trey is fine with that too. He can fill that roll even better if he doesn’t have to be a PG.  We are not used to having bigs that can stroke it fine. That changes a lot of things with spacing and what is needed. 

we absolutely need an athlete or it is not an upgrade.  The standard is high for what they will accept here or they will roll.  Notice all the “shooters” they could have went hard after and didn’t. Yes, quick call and ask for a few but not much effort  Rayj may or may not happen but they have went after him as hard as any guard and gives you an idea of what they want. They also jumped hard at Love, etc. again, shows you what they want. 

Rayj is not a ILL lock but he may want too much money 

there will be other NBA options or 5th year guys can still move too. plenty of time and can’t see them settling 

In part the priority may come down to inside info that the staff has but we don’t have; namely, which of Cupps, Newton, and Gunn is most likely to be full rotation player this year.

They project with Cupps as a true point, Gunn as largely a catch and shoot SG, and Newton as an athletic blow past a defender SG.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Gunn only shot 8% from three point range this past season. He is going to have to figure out how to be a reliable perimeter shooter before he will see the floor during meaningful moments. Some fans are high on him because he is athletic and energetic. Woodson gave him plenty of opportunity early on but he couldn't afford to play him later in the season.

I understand that, it was in a very limited role against much better competition than what the majority of those guys on that portal list played against.  My point is that most of those guys averaged double digits and shot a decent percentage against competition like sweet potato university!  If Gunn would have played that many minutes for those schools, I bet he would have shot a higher percentage from 3, and I bet most of those guys on that list won’t shoot over 30% against the competition IU will play against next year.  I would rather just take a chance with what we have than sign one of those available players, IMO

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

No insider intel here either, but I would advocate for doing whatever makes the team better for this upcoming season without too much concern for down the road. IU very possibly could lose 5-7 players again so roster management is gonna be an annual scramble. Not saying Sellers is "the" guy, but whoever brings something else to the table is fine with me. Of course, with MM onboard IU can be more choosy about the last opening so you might be right about being selective. 

This. It’s a one year at a time world with the portal. Can’t count on anything to be there down the line especially if we’re going to consistently recruit the JHS and MM’s of the world. 

Difference is we now have a catch and shoot guys from both MM and Ware. Trey is fine with that too. He can fill that roll even better if he doesn’t have to be a PG.  We are not used to having bigs that can stroke it fine. That changes a lot of things with spacing and what is needed. 
we absolutely need an athlete or it is not an upgrade.  The standard is high for what they will accept here or they will roll.  Notice all the “shooters” they could have went hard after and didn’t. Yes, quick call and ask for a few but not much effort  Rayj may or may not happen but they have went after him as hard as any guard and gives you an idea of what they want. They also jumped hard at Love, etc. again, shows you what they want. 

there will be other NBA options or 5th year guys can still move too. plenty of time and can’t see them settling 
Do we still have significant NIL left over to spend on that final piece?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It sounds like we are going after Slim Pickens.  

I think CJ Gunn could work out to be better than anyone on that list, with the exception of the top 3 or 4 who are already believed to be headed to other teams.

I will say Trey Woodbury is a very good, hard nosed player.  He is basically Trey Galloway with even more intensity.  He’s one of my favorite players at the college level.  Ultimately his downside is the same as Galloway, which is foot speed — but he’s an incredibly smart, gritty player.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

Tend to agree. Our best player doesn’t need to get within 2 ft of the basket to score now. Gonna be a completely different look and I don’t think we take just anyone to fill the last spot.

Running list:  Mark Greg Dolan off (transferred to Loyola) and Jarius Hicklen (transferred to Oklahoma State).

1.  Ray J. Dennis, Toldeo.  Combo guard.  19.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 5.7 apg.  Shot 48/36/78.  Most analysts believe he is headed to Illinois.

2.  Tyrin Lawrence, Vanderbilt.  wing guard.  13.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.7 apg.  Shot 36% from three.  Analysts think he will be going to Auburn.

3.  Greg Dolan, Cornell.  Combo guard.  13.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.3 apg.  Shot 42% from three.   COMMITTED TO LOYOLA (ILL)

4.  Andrew Taylor, Marshall, scoring point guard.  20.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.7 apg.  36% from three.

5.  Wheza Panzo, Stetson.  wing guard.  8.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 apg.  Shot 46% from three.

6.  Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley, combo guard.  14.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.7 apg.  40% from three

8.  A.J. Plitzuweit, South Dakota.  11.5 ppg,2.3 rpg, 2.6 apg, Shot 40% from three.

9.  Kam Woods, NC A&T.  combo guard. 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg.  Shot 34% from three.

10,  Jaylin Sellers, Ball State.  wing guard.  13.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.9 apg.  Shot 44% from three.

11.  Collin Moore, Georgia St.  wing guard.  14.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.0 apg.  36% from three.

12.  Jesse Zarzuela, Central Michigan.  scoring point guard.  16.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg.  36% from three.

13.  Jaylen Murray, St. Peter's.  scoring point guard.  12.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.3 apg.   35% from three.

14.  Jarius Hickland, North Florida, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.0 apg.  36% from three.  COMMITTED TO OKLAHOMA ST

15.  Jayves Henry, Tennessee Tech, combo guard.  12.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 45% from three.

16.  Anthony Roy, New Mexico St, wing guard.  11.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.6 apg.  44% from three.

17.  Caleb Grill, Iowa St, wing guard.  9.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg.  37% from three.

18.  Allen Flanigan, Auburn, wing guard. 10.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg.  33% from three.

19.  Kruz Perott-Hunt, South Dakota.  14.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.2 apg.  42% from three.

20.  Dominic Brewton, Alcorn State, wing guard.  12.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.7 apg.  26% from three.

21.  Mika Adams-Woods, scoring point guard.  9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.2 apg.36% from three

22.  Kevin Voyes, UMES, wing guard.  12.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.7 apg.  33% from three

23.  Zid Powell, Buffalo, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg.  17% from three

Added:  On3 #17 overall portal shooting guard D'Marco Dunn, North Carolina.  2.7 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg.  32% from three.

On3 #33 overall portal shooting guard Ian Martinez, Maryland.  5.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.6 apg.  40% from three.

On3 #34 overall portal shooting guard Isaiah Range, Alabama State:  14.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.2 apg.  43% from three.

On3 #35 overall portal shooting guard Femi Odukale, Seton Hall:  7.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg.  29% from three.

On3: #36 overall portal shooting guard Anthony Dell'Orso:  12.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg.  32% from three.

On3: #12 overall portal combo guard Deshawndre Washington, New Mexico St:  11.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.8 apg.  33% from three.

22 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Running list:  Mark Greg Dolan off (transferred to Loyola) and Jarius Hicklen (transferred to Oklahoma State).

3.  Greg Dolan, Cornell.  Combo guard.  13.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.3 apg.  Shot 42% from three.   COMMITTED TO LOYOLA (ILL)

14.  Jarius Hickland, North Florida, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.0 apg.  36% from three.  COMMITTED TO OKLAHOMA ST

Added:  On3 #17 overall portal shooting guard D'Marco Dunn, North Carolina.  2.7 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg.  32% from three.

On3 #33 overall portal shooting guard Ian Martinez, Maryland.  5.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.6 apg.  40% from three.

On3 #34 overall portal shooting guard Isaiah Range, Alabama State:  14.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.2 apg.  43% from three.

On3 #35 overall portal shooting guard Femi Odukale, Seton Hall:  7.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg.  29% from three.

On3: #36 overall portal shooting guard Anthony Dell'Orso:  12.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg.  32% from three.

On3: #12 overall portal combo guard Deshawndre Washington, New Mexico St:  11.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.8 apg.  33% from three.

Other than Lawrence and maybe Taylor, I don’t see anyone there I have any familiarity with who makes you better. I’d rather work with Cupps and Newton. Hopefully there’s another plan.

Aside: A friend asked about Nate Calmese for IU. Almost spit my coffee. If anyone says they can eval the freshman guard from Lamar, I’m probably not gonna believe them.

39 minutes ago, Demo said:

Other than Lawrence and maybe Taylor, I don’t see anyone there I have any familiarity with who makes you better. I’d rather work with Cupps and Newton. Hopefully there’s another plan.

Aside: A friend asked about Nate Calmese for IU. Almost spit my coffee. If anyone says they can eval the freshman guard from Lamar, I’m probably not gonna believe them.

100% agree. And likely so does our staff.