Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sardinefarts1991

Who fills the last scholarship?

8 hours ago, hoosiersoxfan said:

It’s a shame Bates never panned out like we all hoped. Would have been perfect in this lineup but he just couldn’t get it done here. 

Bates was inconsistent. He had a couple of really good games. He shot over 40% from 3-point range until the post-season and ended up shooting 37.4%--good enough for 3rd on the team. For many players, consistency comes with experience. If he had stayed another year, he likely would have been ready to play with consistency. Expectations can work against a player's development.

If Cupp is able to handle good minutes at the point, do we know that CMW won't shift TG's role to more of a volume spot up/ off scree 3 shooter? He shot 48%/46% last season. He didn't have huge volume, but with X going down he was tasked with much more ball handling duties than would be ideal for him.With the 3 headed monster that they will have down low, and X manning the point, Trey should see a lot more space without the ball.

I know Sellers from Ball St has been mentioned in the other thread. I haven't seen any full games but his stats look legit- very capable 3pt shooter- and in video clips he appears reasonably athletic. What's the scoop on him?

33 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

D’Marco Dunn might be a name to keep an eye on. UNC shooting guard just into the portal. Heard he reached out to the staff. 

This excited me until I looked up his stats. Played 4 minutes a game as a freshman and averaged 1 point, played 10 minutes a game as a sophomore and averaged 2.7. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This excited me until I looked up his stats. Played 4 minutes a game as a freshman and averaged 1 point, played 10 minutes a game as a sophomore and averaged 2.7. 

Yeah I’d rather take Sellers from Ball State. He at least has the playing in game experience. Sure at a small school but I trust Michael Lewis taught him similarly to how Woody would. 

I know Sellers from Ball St has been mentioned in the other thread. I haven't seen any full games but his stats look legit- very capable 3pt shooter- and in video clips he appears reasonably athletic. What's the scoop on him?
@ray might be able to give some insight on Sellers

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not advocating for him, but might be a little like K. Ware in that statistics weren’t great but the pedigree is there. Had offers from UNC, AZ, Texas, Houston. Remember he came into a program that returned five starters from a national champ game team. 

42 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

And his shooting percentages left a lot to be desired. Have no idea about his defense.

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

I’ve mentioned him quite a bit because his shooting wasn’t a one year blip — he shot like that as a freshman.  Also can drive some. Won’t be a high volume offensive player but is incredibly efficient.

1 hour ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

D’Marco Dunn might be a name to keep an eye on. UNC shooting guard just into the portal. Heard he reached out to the staff. 

48 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

9 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Not advocating for him, but might be a little like K. Ware in that statistics weren’t great but the pedigree is there. Had offers from UNC, AZ, Texas, Houston. Remember he came into a program that returned five starters from a national champ game team. 

5 minutes ago, Tom White said:

And his shooting percentages left a lot to be desired. Have no idea about his defense.

Hubert Davis has been almost comically loathe to trust his bench despite stocking it with the usual UNC collection of top 100 dudes. Quite possible Dunn and Puff Johnson etc. are very good but what they’ve shown isn’t enough for anyone to know.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I’ve mentioned him quite a bit because his shooting wasn’t a one year blip — he shot like that as a freshman.  Also can drive some. Won’t be a high volume offensive player but is incredibly efficient.

Shooting tends to translate up a level, I think he’s viable if the staff thinks he can guard. Might like his skill set PLUS more dribble creation but the portal isn’t create-a-player.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

According to Torvik, the top rated guards left are.

1.  Ray J. Dennis, Toldeo.  Combo guard.  19.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 5.7 apg.  Shot 48/36/78.  Most analysts believe he is headed to Illinois.

2.  Tyrin Lawrence, Vanderbilt.  wing guard.  13.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.7 apg.  Shot 36% from three.  Analysts think he will be going to Auburn.

3.  Greg Dolan, Cornell.  Combo guard.  13.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.3 apg.  Shot 42% from three.  His twitter page said he signed with Loyola (Chi) on April 18), so Torvik might have just missed it.

4.  Andrew Taylor, Marshall, scoring point guard.  20.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.7 apg.  36% from three.

5.  Wheza Panzo, Stetson.  wing guard.  8.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 apg.  Shot 46% from three.

6.  Trey Woodbury, Utah Valley, combo guard.  14.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.7 apg.  40% from three

7.  Nate Calmese, Liberty.  17.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.6 apg.  Shot 37% from three.

8.  A.J. Plitzuweit, South Dakota.  11.5 ppg,2.3 rpg, 2.6 apg, Shot 40% from three.

9.  Kam Woods, NC A&T.  combo guard. 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg.  Shot 34% from three.

10,  Jaylin Sellers, Ball State.  wing guard.  13.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.9 apg.  Shot 44% from three.

11.  Collin Moore, Georgia St.  wing guard.  14.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.0 apg.  36% from three.

12.  Jesse Zarzuela, Central Michigan.  scoring point guard.  16.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg.  36% from three.

13.  Jaylen Murray, St. Peter's.  scoring point guard.  12.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.3 apg.   35% from three.

14.  Jarius Hickland, North Florida, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.0 apg.  36% from three.

15.  Jayves Henry, Tennessee Tech, combo guard.  12.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 45% from three.

16.  Anthony Roy, New Mexico St, wing guard.  11.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.6 apg.  44% from three.

17.  Caleb Grill, Iowa St, wing guard.  9.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg.  37% from three.

18.  Allen Flanigan, Auburn, wing guard. 10.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg.  33% from three.

19.  Kruz Perott-Hunt, South Dakota.  14.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.2 apg.  42% from three.

20.  Dominic Brewton, Alcorn State, wing guard.  12.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.7 apg.  26% from three.

21.  Mika Adams-Woods, scoring point guard.  9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.2 apg.36% from three

22.  Kevin Voyes, UMES, wing guard.  12.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.7 apg.  33% from three

23.  Zid Powell, Buffalo, combo guard.  12.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg.  17% from three

It sounds like we are going after Slim Pickens.  

I think CJ Gunn could work out to be better than anyone on that list, with the exception of the top 3 or 4 who are already believed to be headed to other teams.

36 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think CJ Gunn could work out to be better than anyone on that list

Gunn only shot 8% from three point range this past season. He is going to have to figure out how to be a reliable perimeter shooter before he will see the floor during meaningful moments. Some fans are high on him because he is athletic and energetic. Woodson gave him plenty of opportunity early on but he couldn't afford to play him later in the season.

3 hours ago, ib4iu said:

Yeah I’d rather take Sellers from Ball State. He at least has the playing in game experience. Sure at a small school but I trust Michael Lewis taught him similarly to how Woody would. 

I like Sellers a lot... he has a couple of years left, and we have an open scholly, so why not use it on this kid? I trust Michael Lewis' work product.

if Gunn develops, that's a plus... besides, Sellers FT% is pretty spot-on for a Hoosier MBB. /s

2142095891_Screenshot2023-05-13at11_04_50AM.thumb.png.bbb10bf338682722cc2bd25a37e20719.png