Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Pretty sure if he did both he and IU would get in some trouble 

I do not fully understand the guidelines around NIL, but this is what I have been told as well. His Nba ownership muddies the water. 

Now...are one of his companies or a company he has ownership in allowed to provide NIL deals, or does he have to stay out entirely?

There was also a rumor floating that Mgbako posted a picture holding and promoting a water brand, that is owned by a good friend of Mark Cubans (supposedly). I think this is potentially where Cuban could get involved and help IU, in helping set up or make introductions for players to companies for NIL deals, without actually having to do so himself. Providing access, not $. 

But...I also could be wrong, and would welcome education in this space from anyone who knows the in's and out's. 

On 5/22/2023 at 9:53 AM, normandale97 said:

If people wanted that public they would say so. What I can tell you is the assumption that Cuban is involved in IU’s NIL game is false…other than the Campus Ink store…which is not exclusive to IU. So, people claiming anything other than that are either misinformed or flat out making things up. 

Got it. Thought you might know since Cuban's lack of involvement is public knowledge. 

14 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

I do not fully understand the guidelines around NIL, but this is what I have been told as well. His Nba ownership muddies the water. 

Now...are one of his companies or a company he has ownership in allowed to provide NIL deals, or does he have to stay out entirely?

There was also a rumor floating that Mgbako posted a picture holding and promoting a water brand, that is owned by a good friend of Mark Cubans (supposedly). I think this is potentially where Cuban could get involved and help IU, in helping set up or make introductions for players to companies for NIL deals, without actually having to do so himself. Providing access, not $. 

But...I also could be wrong, and would welcome education in this space from anyone who knows the in's and out's. 

I stand by the fact that the greatest thing that could happen for IU basketball from a money perspective would be for Cuban to sell the mavs to buy an MLB or NFL team. I’m fairly confident is ability to give would be less limited 

12 hours ago, TeeterInNJ said:

4 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Shooting the cover off the ball. Oh I’m going to enjoy watching him score for us.

I think he’ll either get a nice number of clean looks like Kopp did, which he converts well, or he’ll be hard to leave to help, which is great for everyone else.

He tends to start his shot low off the catch, even when the pass is delivered high. I didn’t notice that watching more recent film so maybe he’s changed that — the stroke looks like it could be basically unchanged with a higher start, since the release is high anyway.

I wonder to what extent the tunnel vision is a byproduct of the quality of teammate. Wasn’t a terrible case of TV in the first place, but how much of that was being on a team where a contested lane two from MM was a better chance than a catch and shoot 3 from some teammates? If so it may be easily cured playing at a higher level with D1 teammates.

6 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think he’ll either get a nice number of clean looks like Kopp did, which he converts well, or he’ll be hard to leave to help, which is great for everyone else.

He tends to start his shot low off the catch, even when the pass is delivered high. I didn’t notice that watching more recent film so maybe he’s changed that — the stroke looks like it could be basically unchanged with a higher start, since the release is high anyway.

I wonder to what extent the tunnel vision is a byproduct of the quality of teammate. Wasn’t a terrible case of TV in the first place, but how much of that was being on a team where a contested lane two from MM was a better chance than a catch and shoot 3 from some teammates? If so it may be easily cured playing at a higher level with D1 teammates.

Yes, I think he has a higher release point on his jumper now/more fluid motion. This film breakdown is from October 2021, so fair to say there's been a good bit of development since then. 

Find it interesting he speaks so highly of his shooting now, whereas the current narrative (from Goodman, at least) seems to be that he may not be able to spread the floor super effectively. I think its more likely he just had a few bad games on his last EYBL circuit. Not worried about it. 

He is a top 10 talent and committed to his craft. He was playing pick up with Kyrie the other day, we just hired Calbert as Head of Player Development. Consider me extremely optimistic :92:

18 hours ago, lillurk said:

The point of lift is one of those things that matters for most but not all — Reggie M remains my favorite player. Watch his catch, lift and release form. His form was to bring the ball up all the way from his waist - that low - through to elevation — and he was the most prolific 3 point shooter in NBA history until Ray Allen passed him.

Reggie had those long arms and his fade was a thing of beauty, his “form” was basically wrong from a purist standpoint (Curry’s in contrast is picture perfect form with a lightning fast release), but like the saying goes, if it aint broke don’t fix it. For me, any shooter who can get his shot off in his own way effectively— including creating space (Reggie’s relentless movement was key) makes form less important.
This guy looks like a killer shooter-scorer, so long as his ability to score translates I wouldn’t worry about form.

Reggie was my fav too. In Mack’s case, who knows if they’ll try to tweak anything but where he differs from Reggie on shot form is his seems repeatable without the low father and start.

Don’t break it, I agree. Wouldn’t be shocked if someone (trainer already, IU staff, or some future pro staff) just says “hey, keep it high.”

29 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Reggie was my fav too. In Mack’s case, who knows if they’ll try to tweak anything but where he differs from Reggie on shot form is his seems repeatable without the low father and start.

Don’t break it, I agree. Wouldn’t be shocked if someone (trainer already, IU staff, or some future pro staff) just says “hey, keep it high.”

Calbert and Woody may have him change it.  Calbert was a similar type player but was left handed.  Also, Calbert’s shot was a little higher too!

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If you have time, a great session with Mack and the Hoosier hysterics. Truly an impressive, intelligent young man.

My favorite story from the interview was at the end. Mack is torn between Kansas and Indiana; loves both programs but kind of leaning toward Kansas. He’s in a thinking and praying about it stage and driving to school, when he looks up in traffic and sees that the car in front of him has an Indiana vanity plate. He takes it as a sign from above and at that point he decides it’s going to be Indiana. 

Kind of amazing and scary that with all the effort put into these recruitments that something so random and minor could swing it. 

26 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Kind of amazing and scary that with all the effort put into these recruitments that something so random and minor could swing it. 

Reality.
These are high school kids, and their families, with all kinds of different interests, outlooks, things going on, and all kinds of coaches and others selling their programs.

Look up and see an IU plate? Divine intervention:)