Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

4 hours ago, Adillac said:

My concern for this years team and possibly going forward is a lack of high skill or elite guards. Guys like Oladipo and JHS. Though they are different style players they are small enough to be good defenders, big enough to handle some in between assignments and can shoot well. 

I feel like we don’t ever have enough quality guard play here. I hope that changes soon. Either way, excited to see how this team looks next year. 

Not sure it gets any more elite than a 6th year Xavier (healthy). Imagine the punishment he will put on defenses, with a spread offense. Just need guys hitting shots. This will be our first year to get a glimpse of what CMW wants his team's to look like. Long, athletic, and interchangeable players. I feel confident in this staff to replenish talent, regardless of "position".

Read below from Tom Brew at FanNation. Perhaps he explains it better than me. I would also note that cheating and Kansas go hand in hand unlike at Indiana. They paid Hoosier farm boys from the 30’s to No class/get degree from Coca Cola Roy to the latest Adidas cheating on tape. While not as prolific as Kentucky or UCLA with Wooden, Kansas comes in a close third to the other 2.

Many thought Kansas was the front-runner, and that they could outbid Indiana in this new NIL world.
That didn't happen. Indiana's NIL system is in place, and solid. They did more than enough to make Mgbako about coming to Bloomington and playing for the Hoosiers.
"It works hand in hand with the decision," he said during his ESPN interview. "You get paid for what you love to do. Indiana has great NIL opportunities."
I think I read too much into your original post. I get what you are saying and agree that IU has stepped it up in the NIL era so far. Some of our fan base like to act like IU has never operated in the grey areas of recruiting. When comparing IU to other programs, I understand what you are getting at.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

You're not wrong. When Al Durham was starting a few yrs ago I would often think "he should be the 9th or 10th man on a legit IU roster" Great guy, just not who you want playing 30+ mins/game. Somewhat similar with Trey, I think he is perfect to come in for 4-5min bursts a few times a game. Definitely want him in the rotation, but more like 18-20 mins instead of 28mins like last year. But gotta have someone to earn those minutes over him first, though.

Then again, Al Durham was a starter on a Providence team that won the Big East, went to the sweet sixteen and scored 21 points in their sweet sixteen game when they only lost by 5 to 1 seed Kansas.

19 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Then again, Al Durham was a starter on a Providence team that won the Big East, went to the sweet sixteen and scored 21 points in their sweet sixteen game when they only lost by 5 to 1 seed Kansas.

Sure... He also somehow got WAY worse at shooting the basketball in his one year at Providence.

Out of like 50+ guards over the last decade, here are the ones that we were confident were going to make a good decision or could hit a shot or not turn the ball over: Oladipo, Hulls, JHS, Yogi, Blackmon. 

Xavier can be electric but no I don’t trust him with the ball. I trusted JHS 5x more than him. Gonna miss Jalen lol. He was very rare. Xavier is a nice player but I hope Cupps is better than your typical skinny top 150 freshman so he can help when Xavier has one of his bad games. 

5 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Out of like 50+ guards over the last decade, here are the ones that we were confident were going to make a good decision or could hit a shot or not turn the ball over: Oladipo, Hulls, JHS, Yogi, Blackmon. 

Xavier can be electric but no I don’t trust him with the ball. I trusted JHS 5x more than him. Gonna miss Jalen lol. He was very rare. Xavier is a nice player but I hope Cupps is better than your typical skinny top 150 freshman so he can help when Xavier has one of his bad games. 

Xavier is a real PG though, JHS isn't. JHS doesn't distribute, drive and kick nesrly as well as XJ. 

16 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I agree with Josh, too.  There are some...ahem...rather positive comments in the above-linked article.  Such as: 

"Massive talent upgrade" "legitimate contender" "no ceiling" "apt comparison is Jared Jefferies" "frontline of Ware, Mgbako and Reneau is more versatile than Jackson-Davis, Thompson and Kopp" "The environment at Indiana is unmatched"

Not quite enough overhype  by the SI writer who once was working for the IndyStar...but more superlatives would be appreciated like:  Hoosiers are Hysterical ...or the Slam Fam...or Woody is the new Wizard of the Cornfields...or...hang on for your Crimson Ride... or ... Multiple Banners Up ... or...He's surpassed Archie...  (well, he actually said something like that...)  

Was a fun read for a SI article.  

I would say yes.   X made a comment on HH Twitter space that suggested he was in the team group text before the announcement before he corrected himself 

There was a confidence in the air by the media teams too. I think they knew. Not sure exactly when but I noticed the difference from other recruitments. The national guys sure as heck were kept out of the loop though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, IUHoosier5 said:

His commitment day 6am workout shows MM already rocking IU gear 

Working on his game at 6 AM. Looks like a gym rat. I love it. Crean was good at finding those; Miller, not so much so we've been missing that until Woodson came in and starting bring them in. JHS and now Cupps and Mgbako.

14 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Sure... He also somehow got WAY worse at shooting the basketball in his one year at Providence.

And yet was the second leading scorer at providence and became one of the top scorers in the nation in free throws.