Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The anti Purdue model. Might not win the tackle basketball conference title but is going to have a chance in the NCAA 

This is the direction we need to go.  Honestly, I don’t care if we win the rough and tumble B10 as long as we finish in the top 4, get a good seed in the tournament and make it to the 2nd weekend of the tournament.  Getting a team to make a deep run in the tournament could change the way the B10 will start playing.  I think this is the type of roster and team potential that Woodson wants.  Turdue’s style of basketball needs to go away!

I see people crediting JHS for recruiting and that's completely understandable.  He has.  However, I don't think JHS comes to IU without TJD.  That's the leader.

I also don't think we get Ware or Mgbako without XJ returning this year.  Without Xavier there is nobody to lead this team.  The culture has become top notch under Woodson.  

58 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

CMW seems to be building an anti-B1G roster!  Maybe that will start the change the conference needs?

In terms of highly rated talent, yes. And this is the B1G’s real problem.   

But we’re still going to be a big team that punishes people around the hoop that is still fairly low on elite guard play and shooting. 

30 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

This is the direction we need to go.  Honestly, I don’t care if we win the rough and tumble B10 as long as we finish in the top 4, get a good seed in the tournament and make it to the 2nd weekend of the tournament.  Getting a team to make a deep run in the tournament could change the way the B10 will start playing.  I think this is the type of roster and team potential that Woodson wants.  Turdue’s style of basketball needs to go away!

I don’t recall Purdue being a problem since Woodson got here, anyway…

All of basketball wants more well-rounded ballers. Every guy should be able to pass, shoot, defend, and scrap. There’s a reason we’re seeing 4-out and even 5-out offenses. Spacing, creating high-percentage looks out points on the board. 

Without Trayce, we will look different. He was truly sensational. I love having a talent like MM coming in, but I don’t think I’m alone in wishing we had a couple rangey perimeter weapons on the roster. That said, X was a sneaky good 3pt shooter. Galloway, actually elite. Maybe Cupps or Banks or Gunn will be that too? 

11 minutes ago, str8baller said:

In terms of highly rated talent, yes. And this is the B1G’s real problem.   

But we’re still going to be a big team that punishes people around the hoop that is still fairly low on elite guard play and shooting. 

I guess it depends on your def of elite guard play. Certainly had it with JHS. This season X will be one of the best B1G guards. I wouldn’t call Gallo elite, but he’s strong on both sides of the ball and his shooting was good this past season. Given current recruiting, chances of landing elite guards going forward looks high

I have said the last few years that IU and the big ten as a whole wasn't in the same area code when he came to athleticism. I watch the SEC and the Big 12 and we didn't look like we were playing the same sport.

I will say IU is now catching up on this category.

Ware 7'0 long and athletic

Reneau 6'8 pretty long 

MM 6'9 long and athletic 

Walker 6'9 long and athletic

Sparks 6'9 not really athletic but long 

Banks 6'8 long and athletic

Gunn 6'6 long and athletic 

My concern for this years team and possibly going forward is a lack of high skill or elite guards. Guys like Oladipo and JHS. Though they are different style players they are small enough to be good defenders, big enough to handle some in between assignments and can shoot well. 

I feel like we don’t ever have enough quality guard play here. I hope that changes soon. Either way, excited to see how this team looks next year. 

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

My concern for this years team and possibly going forward is a lack of high skill or elite guards. Guys like Oladipo and JHS. Though they are different style players they are small enough to be good defenders, big enough to handle some in between assignments and can shoot well. 

I feel like we don’t ever have enough quality guard play here. I hope that changes soon. Either way, excited to see how this team looks next year. 

This will be addressed for our last scholarship. 

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

You're not wrong. When Al Durham was starting a few yrs ago I would often think "he should be the 9th or 10th man on a legit IU roster" Great guy, just not who you want playing 30+ mins/game. Somewhat similar with Trey, I think he is perfect to come in for 4-5min bursts a few times a game. Definitely want him in the rotation, but more like 18-20 mins instead of 28mins like last year. But gotta have someone to earn those minutes over him first, though.

2 hours ago, Adillac said:

My concern for this years team and possibly going forward is a lack of high skill or elite guards. Guys like Oladipo

Oladipo was not a highly skilled player when he arrived at IU. In high school, virtually all of his points came from dunks. But he was athletic and over time became highly skilled.

5 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten that IU had a pro day before the season started and the scouts came away from that very impressed by JHS. So it's not like JHS came out of nowhere towards the end of the season to work himself into a 1st round pick. It's more like he was already on the radar and had some really good games which showed he could perform well in games and not just workouts.

It's things like that pro day that I think Woodson will continue to do to help his guys get drafted. I'm sure the other big schools probably do that too, it's nice that IU has started to. It's also a recruiting tool against any schools which don't typically do that, such as IU until now.

One thing about a Woodson pro day is it’s like a reunion. :)

8 hours ago, mbredenk101 said:

I think we've always played in the grey when it comes to recruiting. I just don't think we have been very good at it over the last 25+ years.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Read below from Tom Brew at FanNation. Perhaps he explains it better than me. I would also note that cheating and Kansas go hand in hand unlike at Indiana. They paid Hoosier farm boys from the 30’s to No class/get degree from Coca Cola Roy to the latest Adidas cheating on tape. While not as prolific as Kentucky or UCLA with Wooden, Kansas comes in a close third to the other 2.

Many thought Kansas was the front-runner, and that they could outbid Indiana in this new NIL world.

That didn't happen. Indiana's NIL system is in place, and solid. They did more than enough to make Mgbako about coming to Bloomington and playing for the Hoosiers.

"It works hand in hand with the decision," he said during his ESPN interview. "You get paid for what you love to do. Indiana has great NIL opportunities."