Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We’ve already crossed that threshold and had well before today. IMO Jalen Hood Schifino was a recruiting program changer.

He is incredibly respected by his peers, and without him and his success we wouldn’t have Ware, Mgbako, or be the leader for Newell or McNeeley. JHS made his love for IU known and it mattered a lot.

This is true, I guess a better way to frame Ware and especially Mgbako is that they’re the proof of JHS’s impact.

44 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We’ve already crossed that threshold and had well before today. IMO Jalen Hood Schifino was a recruiting program changer.

He is incredibly respected by his peers, and without him and his success we wouldn’t have Ware, Mgbako, or be the leader for Newell or McNeeley. JHS made his love for IU known and it mattered a lot.

Agree. I think the game at Purdue had an impact. Everyone was talking about JHS and Woody after that.

13 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Agree. I think the game at Purdue had an impact. Everyone was talking about JHS and Woody after that.

Well there’s two sides of the coin with last season. Woodson helped a kid unlock potential that everybody knew he had. Albeit maybe not one and done level. But he also help TJD bring his game to a new level. 

Our recruits this year.  A kid whose precious coach wasn’t helping him reach his goals.  And a kid wanting to be one and done. 

You gotta be able to offer different kids different things and woody is doing that. 

That said we need to all accept that the best thing for us long term is that 2 of our 3 stud recruits go pro this year 

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It'd be nice to find a sniper from 3 to play that 2 spot... But a dude that actually moves around unlike Kopp or Parker. Any lefty 3pt shooters left? That'd look nice out there.

We had one with potential but he is now somewhere else

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

funny how one recruit changed a lot of people’s tunes from woody can’t recruit to woody is a closer.

reality is always in between pessimism and optimism.

100% 

My issue all along though was some that (who I assume only watch CBB) think CBB and NBA coaching are remotely close... they aren't. Nor are they viewed that way in the basketball world. 

The amount of posters on these boards that are/were dismissive of Woodson was just very confusing to read... and imo, basically stems from the fact that they don't watch the NBA.. 

Things like- "He'll need to learn the college game" and "can he recruit" ... those types of comments were just... dumb. 

I would go as far to say--- someone like Bill Self is a more "accomplished" coach than CMW, but I wouldn't say he is "better"... especially once the ball is tipped. 

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

We had one with potential but he is now somewhere else

Very true. He had every opportunity to take matters into his own hands.. he failed. I do hope he succeeds at Missouri though.

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I agree it is a huge question mark about playing high talent freshmen and transfers but I'm afraid it's here to stay. I hated it 10 years ago but I really do think you will see this almost every year from now on. IU will play around 8-9 guys in their rotation. X, Trey, and Malik are the only 3 that really contributed in the prior years. I would like to see IU land another guard that is an upperclassmen. While talented, our starting frontcourt is Fr-So-So. Granted we have a 6 year PG which is awesome and a 4 year guy in Trey. 

For me this is ideal: X, Trey or Transfer, Mack, Malik, Ware as the starting 5. Trey or transfer guard off the bench. Depending on the matchup Anthony or Sparks. I can see both playing heavy minutes one game and none the next. Give Cupps some minutes as well. See what Banks/Gunn can do. Both are going to have to take a huge step forward to see significant minutes. Newton feels like he won't see as much this year. 

My expectations are around the same as last preseason: Top 4-5 in the Big Ten and be a second weekend team. IF they can land a high level guard and move Trey as 6th man, I really think this is a Final Four roster. 

These are pretty much exactly my thoughts right now, but not sure who you mean by Anthony? Also, I think Newton redshirts, but if he doesn't kind of think he could be this year's version of Kaleb Banks. 

Edit: Leal?

2 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

These are pretty much exactly my thoughts right now, but not sure who you mean by Anthony? Also, I think Newton redshirts, but if he doesn't kind of think he could be this year's version of Kaleb Banks. 

Edit: Leal?

Anthony Walker. Unless there has been mention of it, imo, no way Newton RSs. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Anthony Walker. Unless there has been mention of it, imo, no way Newton RSs. 

Ah right, just always think of him as "Walker" lol. In that case yes I agree depending on match up he or Sparks get a lot of minutes. I think most end up going to Sparks but Walker has his fair share... really like both!

41 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten that IU had a pro day before the season started and the scouts came away from that very impressed by JHS. So it's not like JHS came out of nowhere towards the end of the season to work himself into a 1st round pick. It's more like he was already on the radar and had some really good games which showed he could perform well in games and not just workouts.

It's things like that pro day that I think Woodson will continue to do to help his guys get drafted. I'm sure the other big schools probably do that too, it's nice that IU has started to. It's also a recruiting tool against any schools which don't typically do that, such as IU until now.

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten that IU had a pro day before the season started and the scouts came away from that very impressed by JHS. So it's not like JHS came out of nowhere towards the end of the season to work himself into a 1st round pick. It's more like he was already on the radar and had some really good games which showed he could perform well in games and not just workouts.

It's things like that pro day that I think Woodson will continue to do to help his guys get drafted. I'm sure the other big schools probably do that too, it's nice that IU has started to. It's also a recruiting tool against any schools which don't typically do that, such as IU until now.

Yep it’s been mentioned after that pro day staff knew they better start planning for 1 year for JHS 

40 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

This would be a heckuva defensive lineup

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's also a completely unrealistic one, imo. 

Same lineup with Trey instead of Walker obviously sacrifices height and length but will actually play. And it’s going to just python-squeeze opposing offenses to death.

I think coach’s success at recruiting thus far and probably it will continue….it sets a nice precedent and expectation for the next coach- you’d better be a closer, a good recruiter or you can’t be our coach..

I think this NiL open deals era that has begun has actually allowed the IU brass to or forced them to acknowledge that the coach has to recruit on an elite level and not just wax poetic about toughness and “this is Indiana”. 

1 minute ago, Ryno6284 said:

CMW seems to be building an anti-B1G roster!  Maybe that will start the change the conference needs?

Penn State did that last year fully.

Fran has kinda always been that way.

Underwood wants to I think. Willard and Howard too.

Times change and things evolve.