Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t know about that. We welcome any and all Hoosier fans. Stu and OF always give shouts out to new posters. Anyway. Welcome all! Let’s come together in celebration of a fun AF off season.

This is the roster type I’ve been begging for, for years. Length and athleticism. Can’t wait to see these guys in action. And what we do with final roster spot.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It'd be nice to find a sniper from 3 to play that 2 spot... But a dude that actually moves around unlike Kopp or Parker. Any lefty 3pt shooters left? That'd look nice out there.

Big time commitment. Congrats to the staff on landing him late in the game, which has now happened a couple times. 

it appears Woodson, NIL, and the staff have really stepped it up in recruiting compared to Archie, which is positive. 

I still think there’s question marks with this current team and relying on freshmen and transfers can be risky, but there might be some ingredients here for Indiana to be successful this season. 

Welcome to Indiana basketball MM! Just think less than 2 years ago, we wouldn’t have had a chance with him. Kansas would have and they never stopped cheating since their 1988 championship. We didn’t since ours but this NIL puts us on the same playing field as the biggest cheaters in clouding Kansas, UK, and the rest of the SEC. We will continue to win more of these recruiting battles moving forward.

Welcome to Indiana basketball MM! Just think less than 2 years ago, we wouldn’t have had a chance with him. Kansas would have and they never stopped cheating since their 1988 championship. We didn’t since ours but this NIL puts us on the same playing field as the biggest cheaters in clouding Kansas, UK, and the rest of the SEC. We will continue to win more of these recruiting battles moving forward.
I think we've always played in the grey when it comes to recruiting. I just don't think we have been very good at it over the last 25+ years.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

27 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

I think we've always played in the grey when it comes to recruiting. I just don't think we have been very good at it over the last 25+ years.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Kansas/AZ/LSU etc went far beyond the grey zone and there were recordings that proved it.
NIL puts the money above the table, rather than under the table, negating one of their advantage$ over us.

2023-2024 Recruiting hype 

Fact:   0 wins   0 losses

Big Ten Regular Season Championship?

BigTen Tournament Championship?

A Sweet Sixteen? and Beyond?

(Many examples of teams with talent don’t live up to the hype)

59 minutes ago, Trish said:

Big time commitment. Congrats to the staff on landing him late in the game, which has now happened a couple times. 

it appears Woodson, NIL, and the staff have really stepped it up in recruiting compared to Archie, which is positive. 

I still think there’s question marks with this current team and relying on freshmen and transfers can be risky, but there might be some ingredients here for Indiana to be successful this season. 

Agree that there is some risk (will MM live up to his billing? We all seem to expect Ware to make a huge leap from being a 6 point a game guy etc) but these days teams with 4-5 returning starters are a rarity. As it stands now we will have Galloway, X and Malik starting which is a decent amount of returning experience.

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I think both things are true.  there are some big question marks with regards to next year’s roster in terms of fit and style. There’s certainly a chance we don’t quite exceed the “sum of our parts” given where all the guady talent is placed position-wise.  

But this has undoubtedly been a nice offseason in terms of reputation. Woody putting us back into the tourney consistently and recruiting towards the upper levels of D1 are important steps in moving IU basketball back to where we want it. 

I agree it is a huge question mark about playing high talent freshmen and transfers but I'm afraid it's here to stay. I hated it 10 years ago but I really do think you will see this almost every year from now on. IU will play around 8-9 guys in their rotation. X, Trey, and Malik are the only 3 that really contributed in the prior years. I would like to see IU land another guard that is an upperclassmen. While talented, our starting frontcourt is Fr-So-So. Granted we have a 6 year PG which is awesome and a 4 year guy in Trey. 

For me this is ideal: X, Trey or Transfer, Mack, Malik, Ware as the starting 5. Trey or transfer guard off the bench. Depending on the matchup Anthony or Sparks. I can see both playing heavy minutes one game and none the next. Give Cupps some minutes as well. See what Banks/Gunn can do. Both are going to have to take a huge step forward to see significant minutes. Newton feels like he won't see as much this year. 

My expectations are around the same as last preseason: Top 4-5 in the Big Ten and be a second weekend team. IF they can land a high level guard and move Trey as 6th man, I really think this is a Final Four roster. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We’ve already crossed that threshold and had well before today. IMO Jalen Hood Schifino was a recruiting program changer.

He is incredibly respected by his peers, and without him and his success we wouldn’t have Ware, Mgbako, or be the leader for Newell or McNeeley. JHS made his love for IU known and it mattered a lot.

Bingo. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I may have to invest in a JHS jersey. Wearing my red and white colored glasses here but he has All-Star potential.