Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

Why? Those players know IU is recruiting Mgbako. They knew we were recruiting Ledlum and others. They know Woodson is trying to fill at least one, if not both, open scholarships with wings/guards. 
They've known filling those spots was not only possible, but probable, and they've had 6'ish weeks to enter the portal. 
These aren't secrets. 
Lol exactly. Inside the hall posts on Facebook daily on what the staff is doing these guys have to know who were recruiting and what the staff is doing.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why? Those players know IU is recruiting Mgbako. They knew we were recruiting Ledlum and others. They know Woodson is trying to fill at least one, if not both, open scholarships with wings/guards. 

They've known filling those spots was not only possible, but probable, and they've had 6'ish weeks to enter the portal. 

These aren't secrets. 

Yes they are aware of MM's recruitment. I think the distinction is in whether the coaching staff specifically goes out of their way to ask a recruit not to announce a decision - that has already been made - until after the transfer deadline, for the explicit purpose of stopping players from leaving. Withholding that info from them until it's too late... the adjectives for that behavior are not flattering.

Knowing something is a possibility is different than knowing something is for a fact going to happen (which it would be, withholding, if he informed a staff about a decision and they asked him to not announce until later).

It is a big decision to leave a university and transfer, uproot your whole life. You wouldn't want to do that unless the situation materially changed... which bringing in this kind of player would do. Staff should operate with transparency with these young men. 

And I believe Woodson and team do.

4 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Yes they are aware of MM's recruitment. I think the distinction is in whether the coaching staff specifically goes out of their way to ask a recruit not to announce a decision - that has already been made - until after the transfer deadline, for the explicit purpose of stopping players from leaving. Withholding that info from them until it's too late... the adjectives for that behavior are not flattering.

Knowing something is a possibility is different than knowing something is for a fact going to happen (which it would be, withholding, if he informed a staff about a decision and they asked him to not announce until later).

It is a big decision to leave a university and transfer, uproot your whole life. You wouldn't want to do that unless the situation materially changed... which bringing in this kind of player would do. Staff should operate with transparency with these young men. 

By the same token, you could lose a recruit if he assumes that someone is coming and announcing after the portal closes and then he decides not to come.

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

These aren't secrets. 

Not only was it that not a secret but it wasn't a secret that they're looking for starters and/or high minute players for those positions. Not just filling them with anyone that could play the position.

10 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

It's not a possibility though, it's a certainty. It might not be Mgbako, but Woodson has made no secret that he's looking for minimum 1 and most likely 2 guards/wings that are starter caliber. 

Gunn and Banks both know this. They've had 6 weeks+ to enter the portal if they were uncomfortable with that. 

Friday's decision is sort of irrelevant to it, those spots are getting filled. 

Just now, BGleas said:

It's not a possibility though, it's a certainty. It might not be Mgbako, but Woodson has made no secret that he's looking for minimum 1 and most likely 2 guards/wings that are starter caliber. 

Gunn and Banks both know this. They've had 6 weeks+ to enter the portal if they were uncomfortable with that. 

Friday's decision is sort of irrelevant to it, those spots are getting filled. 

I disagree - if I'm Banks or Gunn and they bring in some mediocre transfer from a mid-major conference, I think I can go and compete. If they bring in MM, I'm not getting on the court for major minutes until I'm a junior in all likelihood and may want to explore options. 

We can agree to disagree, doesn't really matter. Hopefully we're in a good place on Friday!

34 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

NCAA 2K13 football here.  Coaching East Carolina.  Should be moving up next season.

I'm going into year 9 with the Magic. Won a title in year 6. Been to the ECF a couple other years. Hit a good stride after year 3 or 4 when the shot clock was changed to 30 seconds.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

These aren't secrets. 

I understand that. And I respect your view of things more than most. What I was taking issue with was that a coach might ask a recruit to wait until it was too late for guys currently on the team to make a decision. I know they are aware of the possibilities but their decision to stay or leave might depend on who commits or doesn't. I'm just saying to purposely string it out so a kid already on the team doesn't have a choice anymore is a bad look. If that is just the way it plays out, then nevermind.

10 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I understand that. And I respect your view of things more than most. What I was taking issue with was that a coach might ask a recruit to wait until it was too late for guys currently on the team to make a decision. I know they are aware of the possibilities but their decision to stay or leave might depend on who commits or doesn't. I'm just saying to purposely string it out so a kid already on the team doesn't have a choice anymore is a bad look. If that is just the way it plays out, then nevermind.

I doubt Mgbako even considered the closing date of the transfer portal when setting a commitment date. And I doubt either of the coaching staffs recommended he do it after the closing of the transfer portal. It's probably just a coincidence. 

I disagree - if I'm Banks or Gunn and they bring in some mediocre transfer from a mid-major conference, I think I can go and compete. If they bring in MM, I'm not getting on the court for major minutes until I'm a junior in all likelihood and may want to explore options. 
We can agree to disagree, doesn't really matter. Hopefully we're in a good place on Friday!

Nailed it.....and not all "one and dones" leave after one year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I see both sides of this discussion, but I’m wondering does this actually happen? I can’t say I know for certain but I don’t think so - it wouldn’t sit well with the recruit, and it would signal that’s how this coach rolls, not a good look. Coaches are looking for quick commits whenever possible generally, right?

On the other hand, while the portal helps level the playing field across the ncaa, I really don’t like the wild west world we’re now in. Portal over player development. NBA-like free agency. High school recruits competing with talented, experienced players across the ncaa for limited spots. Money buying players everywhere. teams that now can change drastically year to year. Wondering who will stick, wondering what kind of team chemistry you’ll have over time.

There are plus sides for sure and it is what it is, but I’ve always really enjoyed watching players develop into serious players, some take longer than others, and that will suffer now.

6 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Off topic but kind of on current topic but is it just me or has IU seen a lot less roster turnover than most since the transfer portal began?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Idk, I mean, 7 of the 13 scholarship guys from last season are gone. It’s a mix of graduation/draft/transfer portal, but our team will be drastically different next season. 

6 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Off topic but kind of on current topic but is it just me or has IU seen a lot less roster turnover than most since the transfer portal began?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think we’ve (partially) learned to get less attached to players. So when they’re gone prematurely it’s not as noticeable / meaningful. Over the last few years we’ve lost guys like Stewart, Franklin, Brunk etc.. and we more or less shrug it off. 
on the flip side I remember when guys like Steve Hart, Michael Hermon, and Sherron Wilkerson left and being REAL sad. Of course I was only seven.

For you follower followers, JHS now follows Mgbako on instagram 

So that makes it Howard, X, Malik, JHS, and Ware all following him on Instagram

Trey, X, Howard, Kenya, Walsh, Hulls all follow him on Twitter

He does follow Jayhawk Slant and Rob Cassidy on Twitter (both of which placed Futurecast selections for him to Kansas)