Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We are firmly in it and I don't think anyone knows right now where he is going, including Mgbako himself. I think he has some ideas but nothing firm yet. Just my opinion though

Do you know anything more regarding the “passing of the hat” for NIL funding?

I just keep coming back to IU on this one. At Duke I was told he left primarily for wanting better opportunities for plenty of playing time.  We offered a good NIL package as well that probably matched that of what Kansas and IU could offer.  Again just my opinion. Nothing else. 

Also I understand some are more in-the-know with these recruitments but watching from afar, it is damn hard to convince myself he is not Indiana bound.
Recruitment has been kept under wraps completely by him, his family, and Slater. Takes three visits, the last being Indiana and cancels the remaining one two days after leaving Bloomington. Was thoroughly photographed with his entire family (Dad included!) and Woody at IU. Staff was smart enough to recognize his playing career with the Nigerian nat'l team and honored the family with a flag. Decommits from Duke because Filipowski and company stay in school and there's a logjam for shots and minutes. Dickinson commits to KU along with Timberlake to join their already loaded roster where guys are competing for shots and minutes against other former five stars. Indiana has a MASSIVE need for a 3 who can shoot it and@Chris007 even stated that he's never heard Woody want a player more. 
He's gotta be ours, somebody play devils advocate to me on this. 
Just curious here.....where did we get the "he decommitted because of a log jam"? I've seen that mentioned many times but not sure where it came from???

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Just curious here.....where did we get the "he decommitted because of a log jam"? I've seen that mentioned many times but not sure where it came from???

He decommitted right after some Duke players that were expected to go to the NBA announced they were returning to school.

probably our best chance to break into the preseason top 25 of the remaining targets.  Dingle might get us there.  That was my off-season goal was to do enough to get preseason ranked.  I think even though we are losing a ton, the transfer portal affords the opportunity to do that.  The Nerds don't always get it right, so we can prove them wrong later but I want to be preseason top 25 every season as a benchmark.  

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Kyle Filipowski unexpectedly returning for his sophomore year in spite of being projected mid-first round is what led to Mgbako dropping Duke. 

He decommitted right after some Duke players that were expected to go to the NBA announced they were returning to school.
So complete speculation

2 minutes ago, hoosiersoxfan said:

I think people ran with that but it seems quite clear there was a Nike to Adidas thing going on here as well.  Do we know it's not more related to that.  Most Duke fans say he still would have started at the 3.  

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Kyle Filipowski unexpectedly returning for his sophomore year in spite of being projected mid-first round is what led to Mgbako dropping Duke. 

Banksy is on ACC dealings and stated that Duke wanted him to fill a Marvin Williams type of role and he did not want to.  Banksy also indicated it was an amicable parting.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

If he chooses Kansas, can you secure the hat for us? well the hat and the $ that is.

If we don't get Mgbako, that's a ton of NIL money the HHysterics have raised this summer above and beyond.  Is there any other targets worthy of that kind of NIL packaging?  Does it get stockpiled for 24's.  Lots of questions.  lol

I think people ran with that but it seems quite clear there was a Nike to Adidas thing going on here as well.  Do we know it's not more related to that.  Most Duke fans say he still would have started at the 3.  
That's kind of what I'm wondering. Although he did also visit SJU so who knows.