Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

What? - my feeling is irrelevant on it. But I have said plenty of reasons why I know the Kansas stuff is all fabricated at the moment 

It was a serious question...

I know data shows the overwhelming decision made by the player is the last team to get the visit. Was simply wondering if you shared those same feelings or not. There has been so much said over the last 24-48  hours on several sites that I don't remember what my wife told me at dinner last night. 

NIL kinda sucks. College basketball will never be the same. It’s whatever because it’s a net gain for IU, but I still don’t like it. There are so many players in college football that NIL doesn’t have the same perception to me, even though I know the top guys there are getting millions too. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Do you do your job for well below market value?  Why should he?

Exactly this. I know many posters long for the days when a kid plays for the pride of the school (and it's still true in some cases), but there are many variables in each recruitment. Money is a HUGE one. Within the last year, I changed jobs from a job I loved into a position I was very uncertain about, and one of the key factors was a substantial pay increase. Now I imagine an 18 year old mind, and if the difference in money is 5-10x what I left for, it would play a major influence. I think IU has the money to keep them in conversation, but we have to accept kids will be looking for pay. They add a lot of value for the university. 

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Caleb Love got paid, and apparently it was enough.  Hard to tell.  

Most Michigan fans think the delay is due to academics. They haven’t announced any of their incoming transfers yet. They have a history of having difficulty getting transfers in. Or at least getting them in with acceptable number of credits. 

Im a Michigan football fan and was listening to one of their popular podcasts on my way to work. Evidently they only offered $70k to Hunter Dickinson. Their 24/7 guy thinks the $3 mil for HD is way over exaggerated. But more seem to think he will get 7 figures over his 2 years at KU.  Seems most of Michigans NIL is going to football. Just like I hope most of IU’s NIL is going to basketball. 

8 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yes, I truly feel personally it makes zero since how it would be KU with how this went down. Just don’t see it with last visit etc. 

The info coming out form KU is all fabricated as well

You claim some things are completely fabricated, but you can’t know that. The reason you give for your hunch could be misinterpreted. He could have gone on his visit to Kansas and wanted to commit, then was told to finish his visits. Later, after visiting Indiana, he and his family became more convinced and certain Kansas was the right fit so they canceled the UL visit. I don’t know. I hope not. It’s possible. And it’s possible the “fabrications” are not fabricated. It’s also possible the “fabrications” are fabricated. The truth is, none of us know this. He may have visited Indiana and made his decision, as you predict, and I wouldn’t discount that as a real possibility. However, he could have gone to Indiana and then for whatever reason decided there was no need for more visits because he was already sold on Kansas (as some others predict). Either way, we’ll never know if those who predicted correctly used insider knowledge or a gut feeling. My guess with this tight-lipped recruitment, though, is only a small number of people know (likely his family and those working with his family…and likely no one on message boards).

That’s the issue I have with many of your posts. You say things based on gut feelings or some knowledge of the recruiting/NIL/agencies and expect everyone to listen and believe the words you say, yet you come off as condescending to many others with their own knowledge and their own gut feelings. I appreciate your input, as I do everyone’s, but as another poster said, you can’t claim to not care what others think about your posts, and yet, still routinely search for validation.

12 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Exactly this. I know many posters long for the days when a kid plays for the pride of the school (and it's still true in some cases), but there are many variables in each recruitment. Money is a HUGE one. Within the last year, I changed jobs from a job I loved into a position I was very uncertain about, and one of the key factors was a substantial pay increase. Now I imagine an 18 year old mind, and if the difference in money is 5-10x what I left for, it would play a major influence. I think IU has the money to keep them in conversation, but we have to accept kids will be looking for pay. They add a lot of value for the university

Yeah I love this stuff. My job very often involves valuation of goodwill. There’s an article I saw years ago that changed my perspective on all of this. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/average-university-louisville-basketball-player-192239747.html

Using dated numbers (2016?) the average IU basketball player provides $870k value annually to the university. Note, that’s attributing 49% of the revenue to players and spread across 13 scholarships. So the school still gets theirs. 

I know people say “it’s amateurs, it’s ruining the sport.” Eh. The money already exists. Just the old system screwed the talent, many times the talent coming from an impoverished background. That doesn’t sit well. 

I like to think water will find its level. It hasn’t yet. And yeah a national personality and talent like HD is right to help move the needle here. 

Who knows what regulations may eventually come to pass. At this point an annual reshuffling and renegotiation doesn’t seem ideal. The NCAA is pretty obviously ill-suited to handle this. Aaaand so yeah maybe we are heading towards two independent super-conferences that will do it better. 

Aaaaanywho. My most objective self thinks Kansas will get Mgbako. Dude went Duke first go around. We have a great pitch and situation. If we get this I give huge credit to Woody and the staff for making the family feel good about Indiana, and for flashing enough promise to show this isn’t a slouch of a program, either. 

I’m going to choose to believe IU is in this until Slater or MM says otherwise. Nobody else is credible on this one imo. 

As a fan on these boards for a long time I got labeled as negatIve but I maintained I’m just a realist. Lol. For whatever reason I trust Mike Woodson as in my eyes he has brought some stability back to the program. For that I’m thankful. 

58 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I know many have said this as well but there is zero behind the Kansas confidence. It is all fabricated by Vernon. All of it. Wouldn’t even be surprised if these Rivals predictions are not because they got duped by it. The guy has been wrong on MM for a week straight and people still believing stuff.

the Twitter likes - yeah, sure, she also only ever liked the IU visit photos (zero of the Kansas ones) and she also started following Carmelo hmmm. Our entire staff followed her yesterday as well and not a single Kansas staff member has. 

Kansas may well win out (I don’t see it) but the people who keep saying “all signs seems to point KU or the tides are turning” - based on what? Because there is nothing and if you want to look deeper there is more pointing IU if anything 

It was a done deal to Louisville on here yesterday Lol!

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

I mean listen, if anyone wants to read dubious tea leaves, he follows three guys on IG who’ll be on the ‘23-‘24 Hoosiers. Best I can tell, he only follows one corresponding Jayhawk.

...then there's that "Nigerian flag in the locker" surprise too! lol