Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

Just now, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

This board makes me laugh sometimes. Always trying to find reasons why recruits aren't coming. Just relax.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Would feel better if it were coming from somewhere other than Rabjohns.  He tends to paint an overly optimistic picture of things for IU, so him saying that 'Louisville currently leads' without him even visiting is not encouraging.

I like how we suddenly have all this "information" about the recruitment of MM when it was said early on there would be minimal information coming out. It's almost like we forget what has happened in the very recent past.

It'll be fun to hear how things "truly" went down after he announces.

415930014_Screenshot2023-04-19at9_54_53PM.thumb.png.fe8e134d6059c00bd2f4e67bc553bc80.png

We'll see how it plays out, but that is simply not encouraging.  Funny thing was Ware transferred from a Nike school to IU.

Sadly we may see a time when players will be limited to what schools their agents have a relationship with.  Kansas is a big enough power broker that if the reason they did not get Mgbanko is that CAA steered him to Louisville, you could see the Jayhawks moving on from working with players represented by them.  Agents certainly have power but I don't think they want to stretch their power just yet on a true blue blood.  Indiana doesn't currently wield that kind of power.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I like how we suddenly have all this "information" about the recruitment of MM when it was said early on there would be minimal information coming out. It's almost like we forget what has happened in the very recent past.

It'll be fun to hear how things "truly" went down after he announces.

415930014_Screenshot2023-04-19at9_54_53PM.thumb.png.fe8e134d6059c00bd2f4e67bc553bc80.png

Could be.  Just my opinion, if he doesn't choose Indiana then I hope he picks Kansas.....because that would at least make sense.

This is one of the most peculiar recruitments I think I have ever seen on this board. Advising your client to turn down larger compensation packages from two massive basketball brands with strong NBA pipelines for a program that was literally the worst team in college basketball last season is extremely strange advice. I mean for Christ sake a Kansas alum was just named MVP and CMW must be one of the most well NBA connected coaches in CBB. If that doesn’t bode well for a second NBA contract I dont know what would.

I wonder if this is being driven by some sort of internal agency politics or some angle from his agent and MM is receiving some shaky advice rather than having a real conviction to go to Louisville? 

They should’ve had him visit Louisville first and have him commit and be done with it. 
Yeah if this was all pre-determined then no need for horse and pony show. Have other 3 schools as scheduled visits for courtesy reasons but only go to UL then commit. This whole agent business doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

This board makes me laugh sometimes. Always trying to find reasons why recruits aren't coming and seeing every little rumor that is seen and going crazy about. Sure he may not come. We don't know. Just relax.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

FWIW, I see a whole lot more of posters consistently stating, for better and for worse, this has been a close to the vest recruitment and we won't know until the recruit tells us. 

It's fun to try to read the tea leaves, but for anyone who's convinced he is/isn't coming after every rumor? That is a recipe for 'no fun'.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

FWIW, I see a whole lot more of posters consistently stating, for better and for worse, this has been a close to the vest recruitment and we won't know until the recruit tells us. 

It's fun to try to read the tea leaves, but for anyone who's convinced he is/isn't coming after every rumor? That is a recipe for 'no fun'.

I'm not sure this one is hard to connect though. Who has been advising this kid for years? Slater. Who is drinking buddies and good friends with Slater? Rabjohns. So it's not like he is getting bad info. Maybe the kid goes to Louisville and hates it. We can hope for that.

58 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Would feel better if it were coming from somewhere other than Rabjohns.  He tends to paint an overly optimistic picture of things for IU, so him saying that 'Louisville currently leads' without him even visiting is not encouraging.

Rabjohns may be well-connected, but that doesn't mean everything he shares is accurate. I remember him being pretty convinced we weren't getting Cody Zeller, and I'm not sure how he could have possibly known anything there because the Zellers shared literally nothing with anybody. 

If this story is true about the agent and this is what we are in for them changes need to be made. I just wish they let anyone who isn't interested in going to college just let them go to the NBA or the G league. I wouldn't care if all the top 50 players in a class goes pro. I just want some resemblance of the college game I loved.  Nobody made these kids go play college basketball and they seem entitled thinking they deserve the whole world. M

Maybe I should go to the CEO of my fortune 500 company and let them know I deserve a bigger piece of the pie. Since I am the one out there doing a lot of the work I should get as much as the CEO.

25 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

I would like to say whether things are going well or not, this board is far less annoying than all the others. Peegs has turned into an absolute wasteland over the last few months. Just a bunch of people constantly crying and complaining about everything

...more like the last few years. They are are also late to everything.

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure this one is hard to connect though. Who has been advising this kid for years? Slater. Who is drinking buddies and good friends with Slater? Rabjohns. So it's not like he is getting bad info. Maybe the kid goes to Louisville and hates it. We can hope for that.

Seems like Adidas in general favors Louisville and Kansas over teams like IU. I'm not sure that is how it is but the impression that I have. It kinda begs the question of why IU still has an Adidas contract if players are going to be steered away. Not complaining, just an observation

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not at all a fan of these 'kids these days' opinions: Do you have a truly unique skill that your CEO cannot duplicate with another employee? Because if you do, you may be successful in your request for a paycheck rivaling the CEO. Mackenzie Mgbako has a unique skill set that very few others can do as well. And that expectation can greatly effect the bottom line.

In the free market people do not get paid exclusively based on how hard they work; they get paid based on how much value they will, or are expected to provide compared to other available options.

I would also add that the players are the product. It's not the same as employees helping make or sell widgets for a company.