Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

38 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Curious, how is it clickbait when he did not post a link to his website saying this? It's not like he posted on twitter with a eye-catching headline requiring you to click a link to his page. Not saying he is always right or wrong or whatever, just don't consider this particular instance to be clickbait as you called it.

"content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page"

It's not clickbait. He's also not saying the family is saying Louisville is the leader. But from what I got from that whole thread is his agency and Payne must be very close. The family is not making this decision. It seems to me that his agency is telling this young man where to go. Which sucks because we have a very good relationship with CAA. Woodson is with them, JHS is with them, Ware is with them but for some reason they want this kid at Louisville. 

19 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Here is what I am trying to wrap my head around....I get a player having a strong connection with an assistant. We don't know how deep that connection or friendship is. However, that assistant coach is not the head coach of that team. Yes he's a large part the staff, but if this connection is truly what is driving him to give U of L a look, he's going to have to love, like, enjoy being coached by Payne and with this guy on staff. The real question is...Will NIL$, being coached by Payne, etc. be enough to sell him? Just a thought......

We offered more NIL. CAA think they will have a better opportunity of representing this kid in the NBA if he goes to play for Payne than any of the other schools. So he is being pushed towards U of L

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

We offered more NIL. CAA think they will have a better opportunity of representing this kid in the NBA if he goes to play for Payne than any of the other schools. So he is being pushed towards U of L

Damn

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Then why visit anyone if this was a done deal with CAA? Nothing that was said or done changes anything and he has to do what they say.  Something doesn’t add up. 

Maybe the family/Mgbako himself wanted to check out other options. They left IU loving it. Went home and chatted with other players involved. They suggested he still go to Louisville for whatever reason. 

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Then why visit anyone if this was a done deal with CAA? Nothing that was said or done changes anything and he has to do what they say.  Something doesn’t add up. 

I think that is what the family is figuring out. They have visited 3 schools and he maybe wanted to commit to two of them but now he's a U of L lean with that visit coming up. This has been different than any other recruit I can remember in a long time. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What makes Payne any better at getting a player to the NBA than Woodson?

Just now, Artie86 said:

What makes Payne any better at getting a player to the NBA than Woodson?

I'm not sure about that, but I do know that Payne has a better relationship with agents than Woodson does. 

I think that is what the family is figuring out. They have visited 3 schools and he maybe wanted to commit to two of them but now he's a U of L lean with that visit coming up. This has been different than any other recruit I can remember in a long time. 

....you're hearing now he's a U of L lean? Good grief!!!

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Thanks for the insight Chris, seems like this one will likely be wrapped up next week, if he makes a decision. Maybe he will be displeased with the visit, if not…we shall see. Can’t believe everything going on behind this one, lots of false info coming from Louisville too apparently 

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

....you're hearing now he's a U of L lean? Good grief!!!

Yes, and it sounds like both IU and Kansas still think they have a shot. I'll be honest I don't fully understand this whole recruitment. I got a text Saturday night that seemed like this visit couldn't have gone any better. The family and player loved Woody, we rolled out the red carpet and were told they were canceling the next visit. Then went home and talked it over with everyone, now taking the visit and their the favorite. 

50 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Weird, when someone has a differing opinion than your own you like to jump down throats. Maybe he knows, maybe he doesn't, I was just passing along what he said. Glad you got a good laugh from it. 

I'm not sure why you're taking offense. Not calling you out in any way, and didn't post any laugh emoji or otherwise say anything about your post. just saying Rabby doesn't have any more info on this recruit's choices than anyone else, and he doesn't. That's not an opinion, it's the situation.

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Woody is pretty deep with CAA and we have a top agent there who is an IU grad. We have other players with them as you said as well.

I still don’t understand at all. Are you saying he has to go where agent says or still his decision but they want him there? I still don’t see the point of visiting. 

I don't fully understand this either but CAA thinks it will be better for them in the long run if he is at Louisville instead of IU. Meaning better for them with his shoe contract, his 2nd NBA contract, and marketing things like that. I'm guessing we got a visit because of our relationship with CAA

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, and it sounds like both IU and Kansas still think they have a shot. I'll be honest I don't fully understand this whole recruitment. I got a text Saturday night that seemed like this visit couldn't have gone any better. The family and player loved Woody, we rolled out the red carpet and were told they were canceling the next visit. Then went home and talked it over with everyone, now taking the visit and their the favorite. 

Honestly just sounds like the kid and his family are going through the full process, taking the visits and then making their decision.

I'm not sure about that, but I do know that Payne has a better relationship with agents than Woodson does. 

sorry for the 20 questions, but what is helping Payne with these agent relationships more experience in NCAA coaching circles, younger age, etc.? Just curious.... I may have rose colored glasses on when looking at Woodson, I guess. I would think his vast NBA coaching and pro player relationships he has established is a great advantage for him. What do I know? lol

I don't fully understand this either but CAA thinks it will be better for them in the long run if he is at Louisville instead of IU. Meaning better for them with his shoe contract, his 2nd NBA contract, and marketing things like that. I'm guessing we got a visit because of our relationship with CAA

People wanted to pay the players… now deals are being made where decisions are up to the agents and an algorithm rather than a personal choice. It’s not about winning. It’s all about money. Sad really.

Sent from my Fisher-Price Flip Phone

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

sorry for the 20 questions, but what is helping Payne with these agent relationships more experience in NCAA coaching circles, younger age, etc.? Just curious.... I may have rose colored glasses on when looking at Woodson, I guess. I would think his vast NBA coaching and pro player relationships he has established is a great advantage for him. What do I know? lol

Payne has a close relationship with WWWes and Roc nation. I think Roc Nation has some influence at CAA and the president of Roc Nation kid is on the staff at Louisville. It's things like this that I don't fully understand but are happening

In what reality is CAA currently in? Payne has no offense (might as well just roll the ball out on the court and say here you go boys). Did they watch last season? Being that I work in Louisville, I tortured myself to watch a couple of their games. I think I watched more of their games last season than a season ticket holder watched all season. He went to one game, after which he said he wasn't attending another. The pitchforks and torches were literally out (hell some were willing to bring Ol' Slick Rick back), but now everything seems to be the total opposite? So confused.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just my opinion, but this sounds like CAA looking out for CAA and not their client. 

And trying to predict a 2nd NBA contract at this point is an exercise in futility.  

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I definitely don't like how this is sounding. It sounds like the agent is trying to sway him to U of L. I would think After the Ledlum deal, Woodson and Co. will stay on top of this in every way possible......