Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

My favorite type of recruitments are these types.    The power is with the kid and family and keep things in the inner circle.   I wish more were like this.   One of my favorite recruitments to follow was Jalen Brown.   He had the scouting services stumped and rarely talked.    He ended up going to California.  He did it on his terms which is refreshing to see 

• There are four viable candidates. A player does not de-commit from Duke without wanting to see options.
  • Kudos to Mgbako and his family; true to their word they are going to visit the exact four schools they said they would.
  • I'm kinda thinking that of the four schools, St. John's may have been the hometown graciousness visit, and that they have a lower chance than the other three.
  • Perceived position matters; IU and Kansas would likely slot him in as a wing/3, Louisville just signed Tre White and would likely slot him in (at least defensively) as a four.
  • Of the three or four finalists? There is a bag of money to be had at each. Yes, there are on-court variables, but each is a big-name P5 program that can sell past and future success (though to some varying degrees). When most big picture things are relatively equal, I think it comes down to which visit made the player and his family feel most at home. The non-basketball equivalent is when (if) you took college tours back in the day and one of them just 'felt right.' Or, if you looked at 20 houses and knew when you toured one that it was the one you'd find a way to make work. It's not exclusively like that, but there's a bunch of commonalities.

20 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Rabby with a not so warm and fuzzy update. Not only will UL get a visit, they seem to be the favorite now.

I think he just read my post on HSN stating I was getting a UL vibe in this recruitment. With Rabby saying UL is the favorite should make us feel better about our chances in this recruitment.

Just now, Scotty R said:

I think he just read my post on HSN stating I was getting a UL vibe in this recruitment. With Rabby saying UL is the favorite should make us feel better about our chances in this recruitment.

$$$$$

8 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

^^ His family has been and is keeping it close to the vest. Rabby has no more knowledge of what the kid's decision will be be. Click bait.

Curious, how is it clickbait when he did not post a link to his website saying this? It's not like he posted on twitter with a eye-catching headline requiring you to click a link to his page. Not saying he is always right or wrong or whatever, just don't consider this particular instance to be clickbait as you called it.

"content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page"

19 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

This just proves not a single person knows anything including him. There is nothing to say UL is favorite other than gut feeling.

the Kansas counterpart to Rabby still says he never goes on that visit and Kansas is 100% the pick. 

it is all guessing and it is hilarious 

Weird, when someone has a differing opinion than your own you like to jump down throats. Maybe he knows, maybe he doesn't, I was just passing along what he said. Glad you got a good laugh from it. 

6 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Curious, how is it clickbait when he did not post a link to his website saying this? It's not like he posted on twitter with a eye-catching headline requiring you to click a link to his page. Not saying he is always right or wrong or whatever, just don't consider this particular instance to be clickbait as you called it.

"content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page"

Not sure 'clickbait' is entirely the right description.

More like "this is a high-profile recruit and Rabby needs to weigh in in some manner." He is the best-connected IU reporter, but he doesn't always know. Even then people expect him to opine in some way.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Not sure 'clickbait' is entirely the right description.

More like "this is a high-profile recruit and Rabby needs to weigh in in some manner." He is the best-connected IU reporter, but he doesn't always know. Even then people expect him to opine in some way.

I can agree with that 100%. Not saying his opinion is gospel by any stretch but wanted to share it out. I think the truth is probably somewhere in between what everyone keeps sharing. Maybe he does eventually pick UL but Rabby and other "insiders" from other sites have changed their opinions many times already. 

Here is what I am trying to wrap my head around....I get a player having a strong connection with an assistant. We don't know how deep that connection or friendship is. However, that assistant coach is not the head coach of that team. Yes he's a large part the staff, but if this connection is truly what is driving him to give U of L a look, he's going to have to love, like, enjoy being coached by Payne and with this guy on staff. The real question is...Will NIL$, being coached by Payne, etc. be enough to sell him? Just a thought......

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

Here is what I am trying to wrap my head around....I get a player having a strong connection with an assistant. We don't know how deep that connection or friendship is. However, that assistant coach is not the head coach of that team. Yes he's a large part the staff, but if this connection is truly what is driving him to give U of L a look, he's going to have to love, like, enjoy being coached by Payne and with this guy on staff. The real question is...Will NIL$, being coached by Payne, etc. be enough to sell him? Just a thought......

Not just connections between he and Smith (the assistant). Connections with the agency he signed with and people behind the scenes connected to UL. Could be a little push that direction due to those connections. We won't know for sure until things are announced officially.