Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

Nope didn't bother me at all since the players was making over $50,000 a year the whole time.

This is a head in the sand moment. Players have been getting perks, cars, bags of cash, since time eternal. When scouting services started doing top 100 rankings and 5 star rankings it made things even worse because there became an unofficial-official market value to the talent. This goes back to UCLA and Wooden and likely even before. Certain recruitments were very obvious.

Also, players aren’t picking schools 100% on NIL but the money is a huge part of it. And it always has been for the top rated players.
Top Players want 1. chance at making NBA. 2. Most want Winning teams 3. featured roles and then the money. But in what world would a player or person not want all those things if they are available.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I know this is what college sports is about today but it makes me sick to my stomach. It just seems so wrong to me that college sports is about the college that has the best NIL.

It’s always been about which schools have the most to offer either financially or otherwise. The transfer portal without penalty is the much bigger change to the landscape. NIL is just fine. The rich get richer with or without NIL. Always pretty much worked this way.

38 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is a head in the sand moment. Players have been getting perks, cars, bags of cash, since time eternal. When scouting services started doing top 100 rankings and 5 star rankings it made things even worse because there became an unofficial-official market value to the talent. This goes back to UCLA and Wooden and likely even before. Certain recruitments were very obvious.

Also, players aren’t picking schools 100% on NIL but the money is a huge part of it. And it always has been for the top rated players.
Top Players want 1. chance at making NBA. 2. Most want Winning teams 3. featured roles and then the money. But in what world would a player or person not want all those things if they are available.

I’m one of a running from my hometown who had scholarship offers to both IU and Ohio State in the mid ‘70s that went to IU because his parents had a lot of medical bills run up and the doctor said he would wipe them out if he went to IU.  This is a crummy football program 50 years ago…..this has always been going on in different firms, just less money.

I was just wondering if the big time donors will have to choose to donate money for facilities or NIL. Even for the ultra rich you have to think there is a limit they would want to donate. Wonder if it is more important to donate money for the NIL to help get players. The problem is if your facilities are lacking then you don't get the top players.

FWIW, If Mgbako were two sign with Louisville, Torvik has them jumping 17 spots.....to #133.  He may end up there, but that team is simply not built to win yet.  Can't expect to have the number of freshman they are set to have and win much.  And in today's climate, you aren't going to keep them together as a group all that long.

2 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Scott, you say this a few times a week. We all get it. You and many hate it.

Did you hate it when coaches received $5 mil contracts, schools pocketed TV money and grew their endowments while raising you took rates 30x? Or when some funneled it illegally but well known?  All this is money has always been in the game is going to athletes instead of schools solely now

The only reason we have this collectives BS is because they still didn’t want to share those funds and wanted to keep them. 

Either way, it is reality and time to get on board or get left behind like Purdue. 

There is another alternative. All of these fundamental changes to the 'product' (if you support them or not) could turn-off a portion of the fan-base. I would love to have organizations bidding 7 figures for my services, so I can't blame Dickinson or anyone else.....but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy watching that process play out over and over again.  Outside March NCAA basketball is a niche sport, at best so not clear how a new paradigm plays out. "That's the way it is" doesn't mean that it's the best thing.

Anyway back to Mgbako, I gotta feel like IU has a good shot here, but not confident we'll beat out KU, all things being equal. They tend to get their share and IU hasn't beaten out many big boys head to head for a long time. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s always been about which schools have the most to offer either financially or otherwise. The transfer portal without penalty is the much bigger change to the landscape. NIL is just fine. The rich get richer with or without NIL. Always pretty much worked this way.

No it’s not.  It needs to be more regulated instead of being a free for all.  Also, I think it needs to come out of the school’s athletic money.  Being fine it is not!

No it’s not.  It needs to be more regulated instead of being a free for all.  Also, I think it needs to come out of the school’s athletic money.  Being fine it is not!

Good luck regulating it (that will only set the bar to where cheating and extra perks come from). Free market will set its value.

As Indiana fans we should rejoice to see we can kinda level the playing field a little bit. As far as where the money comes from, school or otherwise that’s a slippery slope regarding non power 5s and even the power 5s. Schools will figure it out. We just need to be at the forefront of a movement instead of complaining, not embracing, and falling way behind what it takes to win in the landscape we live in.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

I just don’t understand why people ok with coaches making $5 million and colleges pocketing $100s of millions while raising tuition to crazy prices but this is what breaks them. Doesn’t seem logical to me but everyone has their choice. Not changing though. 

For the record, I'm not ok with any of it. And the constant turnover in personnel has diminished my interest in the sport. It's hard to get too invested in players knowing that they may not be on the team very long.

10 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

If that was it, very, very short. Only mom too.

next - this is IUs to lose. (No, that doesn’t make it a lock and yes, my opinion) 

That photo shoot is painful to look at. There’s no emotion and the quality of the photos looks like a Polaroid was used…lol Here’s to IU closing the deal!

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

Sure, few market but that sounds a little like the guys saying they were done watching NFL, or done with this or that. Doesn’t tend to last. But if people do, it will change. I just don’t understand why people ok with coaches making $5 million and colleges pocketing $100s of millions while raising tuition to crazy prices but this is what breaks them. Doesn’t seem logical to me but everyone has their choice. Not changing though. 

On Mgbako, NIL just changes it all. Arkansas, Alabama, Tenn. etc have been killing the portal, NIL and general money has changed it for them. I feel we can offer same NiL as Kansas and more playing time.  Seems simple to me. Will find out in another week or so. 

I don’t think it’s that straightforward in terms of Mgbanko’s decision.  I don’t know exactly what he wants, only that it involves something that Duke couldn’t offer.

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

For the record, I'm not ok with any of it. And the constant turnover in personnel has diminished my interest in the sport. It's hard to get too invested in players knowing that they may not be on the team very long.

Same thing has downgraded the NBA (imo). From once about following teams it’s now more about following players, and who teams up with who. Don’t get me wrong I still watch the NBA, the level of basketball, ability and athleticism is like nothing else, but it’s just not the same. 

Re the college game, it’s good to see the scales balanced, parity is now on another level, and competing against the cheaters just got a lot easier. But the flip side has lots of warts.Team building now a lot less about development (which i enjoy), recruiting now disfavors the high school players, guys you like will routinely leave for cha ching or more immediate playing time or other reasons, the “team” is now going to often be a bunch of different guys every yesr — they wear the jersey so they’re our college guys? Ok.
Pluses and minuses for sure, not discounting the plusses, but my interest level is down at this point