Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

6 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

To expand on that. He has increasingly been kept out of the loop. He even showed verbal frustrations with it on a hysterics podcast. 

I think it is 3 horse race but St John’s is out. Not Adidas. I will also say, while this is happening really fast I think IU has better chance here than some probably think. Lock, heck no. But to come out of nowhere to what may be the school where it all fits… huge. 

I say out of nowhere to the public 

UoL boards seems to think they’re getting tre white. Kansas just got that texas guard, holding their last scholly for dickinson/the TTU wing/guard transfer. I think we have a good chance. Idk 

NIL, playing time/role in offense, NBA preparedness are the determining factors here, it seems. Facilities/winning/where he can see himself fitting best culturally for a year on and off campus probably play a lesser role as well.

I'm hoping NIL is a wash between the Adidas schools and St. Johns is almost tapped out already.

Because from a playing time/role in the offense and NBA readiness perspective, I think IU stacks up just as well as Kansas and Louisville if not slightly better. Hopefully Kansas fills up scholly wise and it becomes a much clearer picture. 

Purely speculation but can't envision a top 10 recruit going to St. Johns knowing what those facilities and program is like right now, just for Pitino's first year, especially when that recruit was previously committed to Duke. Something tells me he likes the attention and fanfare as most kids do. You'll get a lot more of that at IU than you would at St. Johns. Unless Pitino has them playing almost every home game in MSG, St. Johns is a really tough sell, even with him as the coach. 

1 minute ago, TeeterInNJ said:

NIL, playing time/role in offense, NBA preparedness are the determining factors here, it seems. Facilities/winning/where he can see himself fitting best culturally for a year on and off campus probably play a lesser role as well.

I'm hoping NIL is a wash between the Adidas schools and St. Johns is almost tapped out already.

Because from a playing time/role in the offense and NBA readiness perspective, I think IU stacks up just as well as Kansas and Louisville if not slightly better. Hopefully Kansas fills up scholly wise and it becomes a much clearer picture. 

Purely speculation but can't envision a top 10 recruit going to St. Johns knowing what those facilities and program is like right now, just for Pitino's first year, especially when that recruit was previously committed to Duke. Something tells me he likes the attention and fanfare as most kids do. You'll get a lot more of that at IU than you would at St. Johns. Unless Pitino has them playing almost every home game in MSG, St. Johns is a really tough sell, even with him as the coach. 

St. John's is set to play 9 games at MSG next season, I believe.  One non-conference and eight conference games.  Have to imagine unless his roster vastly improves the house won't be very full.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

St. John's is set to play 9 games at MSG next season, I believe.  One non-conference and eight conference games.  Have to imagine unless his roster vastly improves the house won't be very full.

As a Jersey kid, I am sure NYC holds some appeal to Mgbako. I hope he realizes that NYers won't recognize him as if he is a star just because he plays at St. Johns. Literally nobody cares about them. If he were to be playing for the Knicks or Nets, sure, he'd get recognized by a few dedicated fans. 

So much of the appeal in Duke is being on national TV, a huge brand, rabid fan base. IU and Kansas are certainly closest in that regard. 

The only thing thing I got from this so far, nothing much on the KU/UL boards, there is pretty much 0 St John boards and a random, highly unconfirmed rumor on the Miami board saying he is going to pop for St John’s tomorrow. Other than that, pretty much 0 insight I found

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Other than the Pitino name (which Woodson name would mean more to a recruit ) - they have nothing to offer.  Rick has not been that successful pulling top talent yet either. 

I don’t think you can view this one like most recruiting. He as been pointed to where he needs to look. IU fits the need the most. 

They have “playing close to family and friends and allowing them see you on the court all the time” to offer also