Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

10 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Isn't Louisville going to suck again next year? Their best player transferred to Arkansas.

I know money talks, but showcasing your talent on a winning team while getting paid would have to trump an even bigger payday on an awful team. I'd understand if he felt differently though.

Louisville will be far, far more talented than last year, but will still be a sub-par team. However, for many players with thoughts of one and done, that is not a big issue. If he's good enough and is featured and becomes a lottery pick, and rakes in a ton of NIL in his one college year? That is the winning formula for some players. Not saying that's him.

Our pitch will be; lots of NIL, a coach that "knows how to NBA,"  a staff that will teach defense and cure the weaknesses in your game, and a strong supporting cast that will make you look good and get you the ball so that you can succeed. 

If I'm him, the difference between Xavier Johnson Gabe Cupps vs Skyyyyy Clark is the single best factor for him picking IU. If Rayj Dennis came to IU that would make it even better. If we could get Dennis and Mgbako on campus at the same time together next weekend that would be best of all.                                                 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Louisville will be far, far more talented than last year, but will still be a sub-par team. However, for many players with thoughts of one and done, that is not a big issue. If he's good enough and is featured and becomes a lottery pick, and rakes in a ton of NIL in his one college year? That is the winning formula for some players. Not saying that's him.

Our pitch will be; lots of NIL, a coach that "knows how to NBA,"  a staff that will teach defense and cure the weaknesses in your game, and a strong supporting cast that will make you look good and get you the ball so that you can succeed. 

If I'm him, the difference between Xavier Johnson Gabe Cupps vs Skyyyyy Clark is the single best factor for him picking IU. If Rayj Dennis came to IU that would make it even better. If we could get Dennis and Mgbako on campus at the same time together next weekend that would be best of all.                                                 

how real of a possibility is it that Dennis will make a visit?

49 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

how real of a possibility is it that Dennis will make a visit?

I would think it's real. If he's scheduling UL and us consecutively, it's easy to drive 90 minutes as part of the same trip. If I'm Kansas, I wouldn't want to be the last visit because he might find the right fit during a four day IU/UL combo and announce the following Tuesday without ever seeing Kansas. 

If we are part of that combo trip next weekend I'll be a lot more optimistic. However, if he does a UL/IU combo weekend and then makes a separate trip to Kansas the following weekend? I'd be a lot less optimistic.

EDIT:

I thought you were referring to the realistic chances of  Mgbako visit b/c it's in the Mgbako thread.

Chances of a Dennis visit? No idea but I sure hope so. Seems like IU is pushing hard for one.

Get Mgbako and a guard like a Dingle or Dennis and hopes are up SKY HIGH. Or just get Mgbako and fillers and let TG rock n roll.

A 3-5 that this would forecast would be the type of ceiling, I’ve been hoping IU could put together for years.

Long Shot. How much NIL we got left? Do the HH need another emergency fundraiser. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

playing time, or offensive role?  Duke is certain to spread the scoring around next season but I can't I don't envision he would have had trouble getting on the court.

Duke proposed made the comparison of Marvin Williams at UNC and wanted him to embrace that role. He wasn’t interested. Very amicable and professional on both sides. 

39 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Get Mgbako and a guard like a Dingle or Dennis and hopes are up SKY HIGH. Or just get Mgbako and fillers and let TG rock n roll.

A 3-5 that this would forecast would be the type of ceiling, I’ve been hoping IU could put together for years.

Long Shot. How much NIL we got left? Do the HH need another emergency fundraiser. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Getting some guys of that caliber, and I’m sure there will be more available, is why I’m not too worried about the roster yet. The NIL money is there and the playing time is available. When the roster fills up I’m confident IU will be anywhere from a top half conference team to a conference title contender. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Getting some guys of that caliber, and I’m sure there will be more available, is why I’m not too worried about the roster yet. The NIL money is there and the playing time is available. When the roster fills up I’m confident IU will be anywhere from a top half conference team to a conference title contender. 

can throw a majority of that remaining NIL monies to Dingo and Mgbako

IU has an almost perfect pitch to him. A strong, mature, seasoned lead guard to help set the table. A highly ranked big that will most certainly require attention inside. Plenty of open minutes and shots from the wing with no current sure-fire options. Former NBA HC with proven track record of development and getting guys to the league (I know its not official yet but JHS and TJD gong higher than projected before the season will help). NIL potential.
Some of the other choices can offer a few of those, none can offer ALL of them like IU can.
If I'm negatively recruiting against IU in this recruitment I use 2 words. Tamar Bates. I'm not putting it all on the coaching staff but other team's will.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

can throw a majority of that remaining NIL monies to Dingo and Mgbako

Exactly what I was thinking. Money isn’t everything but if the difference is large enough from another offer AND it’s a solid program, then money is the factor to come to IU. I do not think IU will outbid Kansas though. Michigans board was claiming KU offered Hunter Dickenson a $4 mil NIL package over 2 years. 

17 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

If I'm negatively recruiting against IU in this recruitment I use 2 words. Tamar Bates. I'm not putting it all on the coaching staff but other team's will.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The counter point is all the open looks that Tamar and others got and missed or passed on taking. And Woodson and staff saying we need you to come here and take these shots and make them. 

The counter point is all the open looks that Tamar and others got and missed or passed on taking. And Woodson and staff saying we need you to come here and take these shots and make them. 

Also, JHS is a good counter argument for the time being. Make it pay dividends.

Bates seems like a great kid, great family but he had a lot going on.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, jbeaman9 said:

Read from another site that St. John's is this weekend, IU is end of next week (maybe the weekend). The other two are unknown as far as officially set dates. Some have speculated that he will go St. Johns, to Louisville, to IU, then Kansas. Louisville board is where that came from. They also think if that is the schedule and he leaves Louisville without committing and makes it to the IU official, that their chances go way down. 

Tre White from USC is visiting Louisville this weekend. Should he commit, combined with Trentyn Flowers’ commitment and reclass last month, Mgbako would create a fair amount of overlap on the wing, even though he’s better than both of those kids. It wouldn’t be a thing for Payne, but it might well be Mgbako.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Tre White from USC is visiting Louisville this weekend. Should he commit, combined with Trentyn Flowers’ commitment and reclass last month, Mgbako would create a fair amount of overlap on the wing, even though he’s better than both of those kids. It wouldn’t be a thing for Payne, but it might well be Mgbako.

Tre and Mgbako overlap.  Likely with Tre going to visit UL could be an indicator that UL is not a likely destination out of the four teams mentioned for Mgbako.  We have interested in Tre White but have not heard anything since the initial report of us contacting him

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

Tre and Mgbako overlap.  Likely with Tre going to visit UL could be an indicator that UL is not a likely destination out of the four teams mentioned for Mgbako.  We have interested in Tre White but have not heard anything since the initial report of us contacting him

Rabby mentioned it could be a three team race right now between IU, St. Johns, and Louisville. Didn't say why Kansas may be on the outside looking in, but he did mention it. 

24 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Currently following Mgbako in instagram are the following:

Ware, X, Trey, Adam Howard and Cupps. 

And Lenee Beaumont from the women's team!

Gallo is a new one. More importantly, Mgbako has been following Ware and Cupps for years, so he clearly knows them some.

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And Lenee Beaumont from the women's team!

Gallo is a new one. More importantly, Mgbako has been following Ware and Cupps for years, so he clearly knows them some.

There's that name again. For a kid still in high school, Cupps has his fingerprints all over this program.

There's that name again. For a kid still in high school, Cupps has his fingerprints all over this program.

I don’t believe anything has happened yet that would be considered a definitive Cupps win. But yes, he’s 100% Hoosier and working his darnedest to help in recruiting. Flory is a notable attempt. Sounds like X and Cupps have been working portal guys. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love that he’s all in, but I haven’t seen a direct result yet.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app