Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

incrediboy

Big Ten Expansion

I, for one, HATE that the Big Ten continues to expand. Are conferences for fans or for conference executives? I believe most fans will agree because we don't really care about profits...and I don't think profit should be the underlying factor in conferences. Expansion dilutes the intensity of the rivalries we have come to enjoy...even love! Every time teams are added, we take away games against other long-established conference rivals. How do we as fans make our opinions known? And would it make a difference if conference officials knew the fans hated it? Would they choose fans over money? Something to talk about.

While I kind of liked when the B1G was more Midwest oriented, it doesn't really bother me; although I would've preferred not adding a New Jersey team to try and tap into the NY market.  Hopefully schedulers do some planning because it would be rough having to go from 1 coast to the next for consecutive games.

It could open avenues for other rivalries to develop as well.  IU and UCLA are two historic bluebloods that will get to face off now too.

43 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

I, for one, HATE that the Big Ten continues to expand. Are conferences for fans or for conference executives? I believe most fans will agree because we don't really care about profits...and I don't think profit should be the underlying factor in conferences. Expansion dilutes the intensity of the rivalries we have come to enjoy...even love! Every time teams are added, we take away games against other long-established conference rivals. How do we as fans make our opinions known? And would it make a difference if conference officials knew the fans hated it? Would they choose fans over money? Something to talk about.

They would choose money over fans every day of the week

9 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

They would choose money over fans every day of the week

Each conference effectively has it's own little monopoly. Sure, there are other schools and conferences but none of those have the advantage of the emotional attachment that fans have with their current fandom. Sure, they can lose fans but for the most part I would guess that the numbers don't change much. As such, there isn't any real motivation to choose the fans over money when they can choose the money and keep the fans. So you're absolutely correct and the options of fans probably isn't much of a factor at all when making decisions. Probably doesn't even get brought up.

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

No and...no.

Also, not everyone hates it. I'm kind of excited for SC and LA to join. I welcome change.

I truly hate it but have to accept it.  For me a conference should be for teams in your region and should be able to play every team at home and the road.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yup... Definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I am still holding out hope that the Big Ten goes back to 11.

Yes! or even 10, keep Nebraska or Penn St and send Northwestern to the MAC where they belong. 

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yup... Definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I am still holding out hope that the Big Ten goes back to 11.

Or at least change the stupid name. No matter how creative you get with the logo we are not in any like the original Big 10. Just be honest and call it something else.

52 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Or at least change the stupid name. No matter how creative you get with the logo we are not in any like the original Big 10. Just be honest and call it something else.

Who cares about the name of the conference. 

On 4/27/2023 at 11:11 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Me.  Big Ten makes no sense.

It's brand identity, it's not important if the name is literal. If you change it to Big 16 would that be a good name? Would people know what it was? A lot teams and leagues have names that don't make sense. I suppose the Lakers should change their name because there are no lakes in LA. ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) has ND and Louisville. So you think all these leagues should change their name every time they add teams because it "makes no sense"?