Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Fitness/Health

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Anterior approach?  I have never heard of it!  What is it?

It’s the newer way they do Hip replacements. They use to go in posteriorly and it messes with the muscles much more. Real physical therapy.  When they do it from the anterior you are able to “walk” right away.  Like I said I was out and about after 1 week. And home the next day. 

I think it’s the predominate method by all orthos these days. 

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s the newer way they do Hip replacements. They use to go in posteriorly and it messes with the muscles much more. Real physical therapy.  When they do it from the anterior you are able to “walk” right away.  Like I said I was out and about after 1 week. And home the next day. 

I think it’s the predominate method by all orthos these days. 

I will discuss with my doctor.  How long before you go back to work?

i like to run. it's weird and all my friends give me **** about being able to do it when they are all broke. Have run multiple marathon, halfs, 10k, 5ks. Don't like to do the short ones anymore. I will probably do a couple more halfs and marathons though. if i have the time, i want to do the "Equinox" marathon up here in Alaska again this year. If you haven't heard about it and are interested in doing one of North America's hardest, check it out! I think i have completed it 3 times and did a leg as part of a team. It takes place in September around the Autumnal equinox, thus the name. It is friggin' cold and you can expect nasty wet snow while the elevation changes kick your butt. Some people just hike since it's mostly on trails. If anyone wants to run it with me... hit me up

1 hour ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

i like to run. it's weird and all my friends give me **** about being able to do it when they are all broke. Have run multiple marathon, halfs, 10k, 5ks. Don't like to do the short ones anymore. I will probably do a couple more halfs and marathons though. if i have the time, i want to do the "Equinox" marathon up here in Alaska again this year. If you haven't heard about it and are interested in doing one of North America's hardest, check it out! I think i have completed it 3 times and did a leg as part of a team. It takes place in September around the Autumnal equinox, thus the name. It is friggin' cold and you can expect nasty wet snow while the elevation changes kick your butt. Some people just hike since it's mostly on trails. If anyone wants to run it with me... hit me up

I've only done two full marathons. They were hard enough without adding the cold and elevation!

My marathon days may be behind me. The training time is just too much of a commitment, even if my body can still hold up. I never say never, but...

it's actually an amazing run. Here is a funny story, i was running it one year and at about mile 16 i was running near this attractive female so i decided to do the right thing and partner up for the remaining 10. We chatted, pushed each other along and stopped for a beer at mile 22 (there is a booth that if you say the magic word, they give you a PBR~ very exhilerating). Anyhow, we cross the finish line together and i head over to my friends and family. My buddy has this dumbfounded look on his face and he says, dude..... i can't believe you were talking to her! I said, what are you talking about and he says... How do you know Melinda Gates? I was like, who??? lol Damn, i should have put on the charm and become rich!! 

2 minutes ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

it's actually an amazing run. Here is a funny story, i was running it one year and at about mile 16 i was running near this attractive female so i decided to do the right thing and partner up for the remaining 10. We chatted, pushed each other along and stopped for a beer at mile 22 (there is a booth that if you say the magic word, they give you a PBR~ very exhilerating). Anyhow, we cross the finish line together and i head over to my friends and family. My buddy has this dumbfounded look on his face and he says, dude..... i can't believe you were talking to her! I said, what are you talking about and he says... How do you know Melinda Gates? I was like, who??? lol Damn, i should have put on the charm and become rich!! 

One problem with this story. You said attractive.

Ran a 5K race a on the 5th, and was pleasantly surprised with my time. I have another 5K race upcoming here on Sunday morning. 

Very sore today, ran a total of 5.41 miles yesterday. My pastor and I ran 2 miles to church for band practice, then ran home. I went a little extra once we got to his house (we live in the same subdivision). 

IMG_1354.png

6 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Ran a 5K race a on the 5th, and was pleasantly surprised with my time. I have another 5K race upcoming here on Sunday morning. 

Very sore today, ran a total of 5.41 miles yesterday. My pastor and I ran 2 miles to church for band practice, then ran home. I went a little extra once we got to his house (we live in the same subdivision).  

IMG_1354.png

you are in Pacific, MO? i have alot of family there. do you know any "Steeles"

11 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

IMG_1354.png

Back in college I ran a sub-40 10k, mostly at a 6 min/mile pace (converting),  last few years, “stopping to smell the roses,” I used to run 10k’s at more like an 8-9 min /mile pace, but Tore 3 ligs in my right ankle during covid and can’t run anymore. Sucks. Running is a separate state of mind

Anyone ever had ankle ligament surgery? 
Having severely torn 3 liga in my ankle, went through like 30 rehab sessions and have since done all kinds of strength building exercises, but the ankle has never fully healed and it’s been 2 years, crazy. My stupid ortho says it’s arthritis. Even when I showed him the MRI showing 3 “severely torn ligaments.” So I’m thinking about ankle surgery but 2 years in and at 56, not sure about it. Anyone done the surgery?

that stinks, it may be arthritis creeping up on you like he said. Are there some good ortho MD's close to you to get their 2 cents/ opinion? I have real thin ankles and can turn them pretty easily.

2 hours ago, upperarlington said:

that stinks, it may be arthritis creeping up on you like he said. Are there some good ortho MD's close to you to get their 2 cents/ opinion? I have real thin ankles and can turn them pretty easily.

I need to check with some other orthos.def have some arthritis, result of a prior injury, but had it bf the lig tears (tore in a bball game), that’s the problem now they for some reason just won’t heal, pretty crazy, so deciding whether to live with it (can bike and swim but can’t run, play bball anymore) - sucks.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I need to check with some other orthos.def have some arthritis, result of a prior injury, but had it bf the lig tears (tore in a bball game), that’s the problem now they for some reason just won’t heal, pretty crazy, so deciding whether to live with it (can bike and swim but can’t run, play bball anymore) - sucks.

https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/excerpt/benefits-of-jumping-rope-during-injury-rehabilitation   Not sure if this is an option you've already tried,  jumping helped me years ago.   I would start off jumping on both feet and gradually build up the reps of isolation on the injured ankle. 

9 minutes ago, maxwell said:

https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/excerpt/benefits-of-jumping-rope-during-injury-rehabilitation  Not sure if this is an option you've already tried,  jumping helped me years ago.   I would start off jumping on both feet and gradually build up the reps of isolation on the injured ankle. 

As an aside, before doing this technique, his poster name was "minimum-not-well"

*thankyouthankyoupleasetipyourwaitress*