Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Fitness/Health

I will be 60 in August and I still work out about 6 days a week.  I used to run, I’ve ran about 16 mini-marathon’s but I quit running about 3 years ago because I need a hip replacement.  I actually miss running but I still am able to work out.  I do Peleton classes and the elliptical and I go between 70-110 minutes 6 days a week.  It’s better on my hip and still can keep my weight down.  I am a diabetic and I keep my A1C about 6.1-6.3.  

But I really do miss running!!!!

8 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Used to be a runner, but having kiddos got me out of that for awhile. I would run from time to time, but made a New Year’s resolution to focus on my health and fitness this year. Luckily I’ve stuck with it, as health issues have fun in both sides of my family. 

Been going to the gym and/or running at least 3 times a week. Tonight I ran 4.1 miles. Goal is to run a half-marathon in September or October.

Wow congrats man. Sorta in the same boat right now but haven’t made the lifestyle choices yet.  Kudos 

4 minutes ago, upperarlington said:

Great job man, I still love running even at 61 but man has my pace slowed over the years. I am planning a 5k this summer hoping for  9:30 split. 40 years ago, I was clocking a 6:30 split.

Same here, but just a few years younger. I have been a runner through most of my adult life, but have definitely slowed down over the last few years. Getting old kinda sucks. I used to run 6 days a week, but now I have to really make sure I get enough rest between runs or I start having constant nagging injuries. I've tried to stop several times and adopt other ways of staying fit, but I always seem to go back to running.

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

Same here, but just a few years younger. I have been a runner through most of my adult life, but have definitely slowed down over the last few years. Getting old kinda sucks. I used to run 6 days a week, but now I have to really make sure I get enough rest between runs or I start having constant nagging injuries. I've tried to stop several times and adopt other ways of staying fit, but I always seem to go back to running.

Yup, SAME. I have to be careful of too much treadmill to pavement work. I ended up with a stress fracture a couple of years ago. My podiatrist said try to stick with one or the other. I was going from treadmill to road/pavement a lot one spring due to bad weather. Your foot plants differently on a treadmill. I have to remind myself to stretch like crazy before and after and especially lower back. Thankful that my knees and hips are in good shape, but I did survive the 80's on North Jordan while an undergrad!

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I will be 60 in August and I still work out about 6 days a week.  I used to run, I’ve ran about 16 mini-marathon’s but I quit running about 3 years ago because I need a hip replacement.  I actually miss running but I still am able to work out.  I do Peleton classes and the elliptical and I go between 70-110 minutes 6 days a week.  It’s better on my hip and still can keep my weight down.  I am a diabetic and I keep my A1C about 6.1-6.3.  

But I really do miss running!!!!

Seconded on Peloton. I don’t use it as much as I should, but I love that thing. I was pretty skeptical on the whole spin class idea going in and I was blown away when I started. I *hate* running, so it’s a pretty good alternative until my wife lets me put in a pool. 

I'm 57 and working out four or five times a week on top of 1.5 miles in dog walks daily. 

For me? My general attitude is: Doesn't matter who you are, where you are are, or what your equipment or facilities are, if you decide it's necessary there's always a method to get yo @$$ tired and check that exercise box for the day. My mom is an exerciser - she's 92 and walks a mile a day. A year ago she fractured her pelvis. Me and her were doing 'arm lifts' in her hospital bed the day after her fall. She was walking her mile a day again in four months. It's like brushing your teeth; it's just plain old something you do.

Major props to @JSHoosier, who lost 120 pounds because he decided exercise is necessary!

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

You young pups!  Closing in on my 75th b-day.  I walk a minimum of 2 miles every day at a 15-16 min./mile pace.  Haven't missed a day outdoors except for a 7-day COVID quarantine last June since Labor Day weekend 2015.  I'm also a cyclist and closing in on 70,000 career miles and my cycling pace has slowed just like a couple of you mentioned your running pace has slowed.  I also still do my own lawn mowing (2.5 hrs.) with a walk-behind mower and rake my own leaves in the fall.  I complain about the mowing but then remind myself that many others younger than me can't physically do much of anything.  That keeps me going.

That's completely awesome. Role model stuff right there.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Wow congrats man. Sorta in the same boat right now but haven’t made the lifestyle choices yet.  Kudos 

It’s taken a lot of mental change in things, but my wife has been very supportive of me because it does take time away from her and the kids. What truly got me started was someone in our subdivision started a 75 day challenge, and you could pick any diet or workout plan.

There’s more to it that that, but that’s what got me going and on this path. I would highly recommend trying to find something like that, and see if that gets you started. I do better with competition so that really helped me. Let me also say the wifey has been very pleased with the visible results in my losing weight and gaining muscle lol

24 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I commend you gentlemen on prioritizing your health. I’m an inpatient healthcare provider and see a lot of the opposite of you - the people who have spent as many years treating their bodies and their minds like the piss ditch at burning man.

At 37 I’ve unfortunately hit my first real wall in the training realm. I have been a 4-5 day/week weight training + high intensity cardio/metabolic work guy since 18. Part of it is just due to the evolution of the family man role. So be it. Still got it done at 6am when wife and sons came into the picture. Fast forward to a significant loss and poor coping skills and it’s coming up on 16 months since I last trained. Mental blocks are for real.

Keep up the good work, Hoosier brethren.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To kind of add on to this, some advice I'd give people starting to train (and my younger/dumber self) focus on form first.  Low weight and good form gives better results than high weight and bad form, and helps prevent injury.

13 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Usually in the gym 6 days a week.  I prefer lifting weights but do cardio, even though about the only thing worse would be a Purdue/pUKe title game.

Down around 120 pounds over the last few years.

If I remember right we follow each other on FB, and you have done an incredible job! My goal is to get my weight to right under 200lbs, and then keep the weight in check except for muscle growth. 

My biggest revelation this year has been incorporating some sort of HIIT/Walk-Run-Walk into my long distance. Doing the high intensity with short rest has greatly increased my long distance and times. 

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I commend you gentlemen on prioritizing your health. I’m an inpatient healthcare provider and see a lot of the opposite of you - the people who have spent as many years treating their bodies and their minds like the piss ditch at burning man.

At 37 I’ve unfortunately hit my first real wall in the training realm. I have been a 4-5 day/week weight training + high intensity cardio/metabolic work guy since 18. Part of it is just due to the evolution of the family man role. So be it. Still got it done at 6am when wife and sons came into the picture. Fast forward to a significant loss and poor coping skills and it’s coming up on 16 months since I last trained. Mental blocks are for real.

When you say significant loss I hope everything is okay!! 

The mental part of it is the biggest hurdle I feel like when you start having a family and busy work life. I’ve always enjoyed running and been good at it, but laziness and the mental aspect of having less time to do it got me way out of fitness.

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

• 20 minutes a day.
  • No guilt when you miss a day.
  • Always take stairs instead of elevators. 
  • Water instead of soda.
  • Stop drinking sh!t*y coffee - good coffee doesn't need sugar or cream.

There's so many ways.

51 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Thanks for sharing, Hinny. The family thing is real. It feels like you’re stealing time from your kids and not helping your partner when you run off to exercise. 

if you’ve got a lifetime history of working out, I’m guessing you’ll come back to it and enjoy it. Your age, 37, is tricky. It feels old, but your body is really still primed to do work. It will respond when you start up again. I’ve been there before too. 

I’ve learned 25 minute workouts are where it’s at. Hit the major lifts, keep the intensity up, and be done with it. That’s only 1.7% of a day. Lift 3x a week, go on walks or jogs if you want and you’ll be a fit human. 

I’m 43. I can still do 5 miles at 7 minute pace, or deadlift 2x body weight for reps. Neither are elite or anything, but good. After my own life rough patch getting back to fitness was a part of reclaiming identity. Working out gives great mental health gainz too. Feel better, sleep better, more confident in interactions with people. Most of the people I really respect take fitness as just a necessary part of having your ish together, without making it their entire life. 

Dog woke me up extra early today at 5. After taking him out, I couldn’t go back to sleep so I went to the gym. Got a good workout in and back before the kids or wife were up. I don’t like waking up that early to go, but it’s nice getting there before most. Only 2 other people there when I arrived, and a total of 7 when I left. Nice getting in and out quickly.