Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

(C) Kel 'el Ware - COMMITTED TO INDIANA

31 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

A lot of the good IU teams that were National Champions or Big Ten Champions, always seem to have balanced scoring with 4 or 5 guys averaging double figures.

Among Knight's three IU national champions, only the 1987 team had 4 or 5 guys averaging double figures. 1976 Scott May averaged 23 ppg, Kent Benson averaged 17 ppg, Tom Abernathy averaged 10 ppg, Quinn Buckner averaged 9 ppg and Bobby Wilkerson averaged 8 ppg. In 1981, Isiah Thomas averaged 16 ppg, Ray Tolbert averaged 12 ppg, Randy Whitman averaged 10 ppg, Ted Kitchel and Landon Turner both averaged 9 ppg. In 1987 Steve Alford averaged 22 ppg, Daryl Thomas averaged 15 ppg, Dean Garrett and Keith Smart averaged 11 ppg, and Ricky Calloway averaged 12 ppg.

13 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Among Knight's three IU national champions, only the 1987 team had 4 or 5 guys averaging double figures. 1976 Scott May averaged 23 ppg, Kent Benson averaged 17 ppg, Tom Abernathy averaged 10 ppg, Quinn Buckner averaged 9 ppg and Bobby Wilkerson averaged 8 ppg. In 1981, Isiah Thomas averaged 16 ppg, Ray Tolbert averaged 12 ppg, Randy Whitman averaged 10 ppg, Ted Kitchel and Landon Turner both averaged 9 ppg. In 1987 Steve Alford averaged 22 ppg, Daryl Thomas averaged 15 ppg, Dean Garrett and Keith Smart averaged 11 ppg, and Ricky Calloway averaged 12 ppg.

I know 9 points isn’t double figures but is close enough, teams had to respect you and guard you.  Also, I remember Landon Turner averaging double digits the last 6-10 games and in the tournament. 

UConn - 17, 16, 10, 9, 7, 7          IU - 21, 14, 8, 8, 6
Kansas - 19, 14, 11, 11, 9          IU - 18, 12, 11, 6, 6
Baylor - 17, 16, 14, 9, 8              IU - 19, 11, 11, 9, 7

I don't think what Knight's teams did 3+ decades ago really matter in the current landscape of college basketball. We need multiple players who can score at multiple levels to make it difficult for opponents to game plan against us.

Edit: I think Ware gives us a piece we don't currently have but could work well with some players we do have. IF there are concerns about intangibles then you make expectations clear and surround him with players that possess the intangibles. There is something to throwing 3-4 bigs/big wings into the mix and making them earn PT.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It would be nice to have a team with 4 or 5 averaging in double figures.  A lot of the good IU teams that were National Champions or Big Ten Champions, always seem to have balanced scoring with 4 or 5 guys averaging double figures.  That’s what CMW should try to focus building his team on and the wing players leading us in scoring, not the center.  

Definitely a good recipe for success.

• Mackenzie Holmes - 22.3
  • Grace Berger - 12.9
  • Sydney Parrish - 12.0
  • Yarden Garzon - 11.1
  • Chloe Moore- McNeil - 9.5
  • Sara Scalia - 9.5

43 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

• Grace Berger - 12.9
  • Sydney Parrish - 12.0
  • Yarden Garzon - 11.1
  • Sara Scalia - 9.5

Too soon.  I'm still not over losing 2 out of 3 to end the year.  Fresh scars bro

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

• Grace Berger - 12.9
  • Sydney Parrish - 12.0
  • Yarden Garzon - 11.1
  • Sara Scalia - 9.5

And we're only losing around 15 ppg. But sadly, we're losing a hell of a lot more than points, with Grace moving on.

3 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I remember Landon Turner averaging double digits the last 6-10 games and in the tournament. 

During the 1981 NCAA tournament, Landon Turner was the 2nd best player on the IU team behind Isiah Thomas.

35 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

During the 1981 NCAA tournament, Landon Turner was the 2nd best player on the IU team behind Isiah Thomas.

He was the one of the reasons why they won the National Championship, like Isiah, was virtually unstoppable.   When he stepped up his game, they went from an average team to NCAA Champions!  That’s why it’s important to have a balanced scoring team, which is why it’s important for CMW to land good, smart, quality players and I think Ware fits that.

By the way, Ware reminds me of Landon Turner quite a bit! 

12 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

interested that both he and Ledlum will be onsite at same time.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think that's just a scheduling thing. 

True that it’s a scheduling thing, but if Ledlum is coming on board, his leadership vibe will most certainly be a plus in Ware’s assessment.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

True that it’s a scheduling thing, but if Ledlum is coming on board, his leadership vibe will most certainly be a plus in Ware’s assessment.

Ledlum can man the locker room, score and rebound.  Ware upside if he comes to IU can push him to a top 10 potential pick in 2024 draft.  Give me these two!

17 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

interested that both he and Ledlum will be onsite at same time.

It could be a beautiful thing...... I would love for TJD and JHS to be a big part if these visits, if they haven't been already!