Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Chris Ledlum - Harvard Transfer to Tennessee -- Wait, Make That St. John's

7 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Just a thought, even if he was ready to commit. Wouldn’t he  have wanted to wait for Woodson to be out of surgery and off the drugs before a phone call? I am sure he knew surgery was today. 

Eh maybe, but that shouldn't stop him from canceling his upcoming visits and he hasn't yet.  If he knows where he's going there's no sense in not canceling the others, he could but hasn't yet.  I just don't think his mind is made up yet.

16 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

On one of these visits you meet everyone. From the head coach down to the student assistants and everyone in between. 

It isn't out of the ordinary to follow a bunch of people you just met. I certainly wouldn't chalk it up to a commitment. Many have been burned by that logic before.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I don’t use any of the social media platforms he’s making these follows, posts, etc,  but If I did, and if I was meeting people anywhere who might somehow be important connections in the near future or down the road (or just friendly people I enjoyed meeting), then it would make sense to follow them, friend them, or whatever. If he’s made other visits, though, then it seems he would be doing the same with people elsewhere if that is his motive. Who knows?

11 minutes ago, ray said:

I agree, wholeheartedly. I don’t use any of the social media platforms he’s making these follows, posts, etc,  but If I did, and if I was meeting people anywhere who might somehow be important connections in the near future or down the road (or just friendly people I enjoyed meeting), then it would make sense to follow them, friend them, or whatever. If he’s made other visits, though, then it seems he would be doing the same with people elsewhere if that is his motive. Who knows?

I could be wrong but I think IU was his only visit so far.  Tennessee is scheduled and maybe a visit to St. John's.

12 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

All I can say is this is different. If you don’t understand social media it is hard to explain over text without writing a novel. Heck, he even followed more IU girls last night. He is not doing that for Ten or St J. 

I still think he cancels those visits or maybe he is one of those guys who still goes on visits when he is already locked in just to have fun. Have known a few of them. 

but he is way deep with IU at this point 

It’s different. Trust me. Even though I can’t describe how it’s different 

32 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s different. Trust me. Even though I can’t describe how it’s different 

I have 3 teen-aged boys, all involved in athletics.  One is getting a lot of mail from colleges.  Ngw7183 is 100% correct as to how they handle social media.  One thing I will add, though, is they also change their minds a lot, even when they appear to be deep in, lol.

2 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I have 3 teen-aged boys, all involved in athletics.  One is getting a lot of mail from colleges.  Ngw7183 is 100% correct as to how they handle social media.  One thing I will add, though, is they also change their minds a lot, even when they appear to be deep in, lol.

Thankfully we are dealing with a Harvard grad! 

4 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

He is right. Which is why it doesn’t mean jack that he’s connecting with everybody 

9 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

It means that as of right now, he is very serious about IU, which means a lot more than if he wasn’t connecting with very many people there.

No it doesn’t. Kid just connects with everybody he meets. Or is he serious about all 1160+ people he follows. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

No it doesn’t. Kid just connects with everybody he meets. Or is he serious about all 1160+ people he follows. 

It’s likely he hasn’t even met half of those people.  Doubt he met all the people at IU he connected with on social media.  When they’re serious about something, they connect with the people connected to it, whether they’ve met them or not, if that makes sense.  

26 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

What is your issue? Do you just like to argue? 

I could write a novel if you really want to understand it but don’t think you do. 

I don’t believe many, if any, of us need a novel written from you to explain how social media works. I know how social media works, and I don’t use it. I choose not to. 

It’s used differently by different people. Some are prowlers looking for hookups and like the posts of hot girls (or boys) and hope to find the one from the 200 they sent a message to respond in kind (it’s a numbers game for some). Some use it to brag on their kids or themselves. Some use it to play victim. Some like to use it to pretend their life is different from reality because what others think of them is more important than what they know of themselves. Some use it for encouragement or motivation. Some use it with compassion and hope to help others, while others choose to blow candles out because they think it makes their light burn more brightly. While others are just a** hats who are mean and despicable. Some like the feeling of validity that comes from having a lot of friends listed, whether they chat with any of their “friends” or not, while others like a lot of friends and followers because they’re bored and need people to chat with. Some share photos of their kids for family far away (or close). Some use it for business, career-based connections, or personal promotion of some kind. Some use it as a platform or for making money. Some use it for following the decision making of college recruits. The list goes on. 

I’m not doubting or disagreeing it’s promising he made a lot of connections on his visit to Bloomington, but that’s what he should have done during his visit. It’s also what he should do on any other visits, if he takes them.

novel written

I look at Chris Ledlum and thoughts come to mind.  Here is a kid, well perhaps no longer a kid since he has a degree from Harvard.  He has been playing without an athletic scholarship and against Ivy League competition.  He has to wonder how good am I?  This could be the end of the line for me.  Is he thinking if it is time to walk away from basketball and start using that fancy degree, or should I challenge myself and see if I can make a living at playing this sport.  Aren't that many pro basketball players that come out of the Ivy League so I need to go somewhere where I will play and somewhere where I have a chance to excel.  Could be IU but if I were him I'd hold off a bit to make sure the Hoosiers are not going to be a dud.  IU still has a lot of questions to answer about next year.  Maybe he is taking a look at his options to decide what is the best fit for him.  Wouldn't blame him at all.  We obviously want him and think he could be an important part for next year.  Now we just need to convince him that this is the best place for him.  Obviously Tennessee and St Johns are doing the same.  He has some important thinking to do and as much as we want a decision now we just need to be patience.  

Do I have any special inside information?  No.  Just trying to put myself in his shoes for a minute and trying to possibly see things from his view point.  It is a big decision.