Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Caleb Love - UNC Transfer to Arizona

On 5/24/2023 at 11:56 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Can’t see Love at Texas….already have two six foot guards who will likely start.  6’, 6’ and 6’4” at the 1-2-3 doesn’t sound good

5 hours ago, lillurk said:

Right, it would basically require someone to take a sixth man role. Maybe you can sell Abmas that any NBA future for him is probably as a Bobby Jackson/Lou Williams type of high-minute bench scoring guard? “Hey, we’ll showcase you in the role you’d play eventually, we think that will boost your stock?”

Yalls obsession with height in college basketball is so weird as if teams are never successful playing 3-4 guards.

48 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yalls obsession with height in college basketball is so weird as if teams are never successful playing 3-4 guards.

rattle off the teams with a high degree of success whose 1-2-3 staters had an average height of 6’1”.

45 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

rattle off the teams with a high degree of success whose 1-2-3 staters had an average height of 6’1”.

Baylor was literally the best team in the nation 2 years ago and started 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5 and their 6th man was 6-3. We just got whooped in the NCAA tourney by a team who played one dude over 6-7. Purdue just lost in the first round to the smallest team in D1. Indiana's last 2 B1G titles didn't start anyone over 6-4 at the 1-3 spots. Hell the last time Indiana was #1 we started 6-0, 6-0 and 6-4. It's college basketball, you can start dudes at the 3 who are 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5, especially if they are good defenders.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Baylor was literally the best team in the nation 2 years ago and started 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5 and their 6th man was 6-3. We just got whooped in the NCAA tourney by a team who played one dude over 6-7. Purdue just lost in the first round to the smallest team in D1. Indiana's last 2 B1G titles didn't start anyone over 6-4 at the 1-3 spots. Hell the last time Indiana was #1 we started 6-0, 6-0 and 6-4. It's college basketball, you can start dudes at the 3 who are 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5, especially if they are good defenders.

Every team you mentioned was taller than the one I mentioned…..and oladipo wasnt 6’4”.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Every team you mentioned was taller than the one I mentioned…..and oladipo wasnt 6’4”.

Texas would be starting 6-0, 6-1, 6-4.

And Oladipo is literally listed at 6-4 on the Heats roster on their website. He has shrunk since college. Indiana just fudged the numbers, the NBA isn't allowed to lie about heights.

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Texas would be starting 6-0, 6-1, 6-4.

And Oladipo is literally listed at 6-4 on the Heats roster on their website. He has shrunk since college. Indiana just fudged the numbers, the NBA isn't allowed to lie about heights.

Tyrese Hunter:  6'0".   https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4683751/tyrese-hunter

Max Abmas:  6'0"  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4432932/max-abmas

Caleb Love:  6'4"  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4433144/caleb-love

We'll see what each of them are listed should they ever reach the NBA.

Teams can play three guards, but playing two six nothing guards and a six four guard alongside them who isn't a good rebounder isn't ideal IMO.  You're giving up a lot in rebounding to do so and defensively they are getting forced into undersized situations. And offensively I don't see a whole lot of complimenting each other.  Love wants the ball in his hands, Abams is best with the ball in his hands, and Hunter played at Iowa State as their point guard and primary ball handler before he moved off the ball last year because of Marcus Carr.

Just my opinion -- you can't certainly play three guards but it is not ideal when two of them are six foot.  It wasn't ideal with Indiana when they were #1, but having two players who are the second and fourth picks in the upcoming NBA draft certainly overcomes that.  Oladipo was a plus rebounder for a guard (6.3 reb in 28 mpg his junior year).

And from Caleb Love's standpoint -- who has pretty much said he wants to be the guy running the offense -- I certainly don't see it as ideal.

The short answer re: height is it’s hard (not impossible) to have a good defense at a size disadvantage. Easy to shoot over, easy to capitalize against switches, tough to rebound.

I love a 3 or even 4 guard lineup as a change-of-pace look, but it’s tough to do at the high-major level constantly.

The last time I was accused of height obsession it was in the context of Woody’s recruiting. But making that about me, or any other poster, is a category error: Woody’s stated and revealed preference through his entire coaching career is for plus positional size/length.

4 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Thank God he’s not at IU!!! 

Fixed it for you :) and it needed to be stated again. One of IU's biggest recruiting wins of this offseason was NOT getting Love. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Here's a moderately hot nugget of info from today's Hoosier Hysterics podcast:

Hysteric Eric stated in no uncertain terms that Caleb Love was not considered because he was not going to be academically admitted to IU.

So apparently it's not a  Michigan problem; it's a Caleb Love problem. Props to IU for not creating the mess that Michigan did with this one.

Or maybe a North Carolina problem too

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

So apparently it's not a  Michigan problem; it's a Caleb Love problem. Props to IU for not creating the mess that Michigan did with this one.

I was torched on this board when I said exactly this after Love decommitted from Michigan and some thought IU was recruiting him. 

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

This is where Juwan and staff deserve some criticism: IU knew this before he was even linked to UM, then it took weeks after his commitment for he and UM to split? And UM deservedly has a reputation as a tough spot for transfers. All the more reason it was misplayed.