Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Caleb Love - UNC Transfer to Arizona

Here’s my thing on Love: and I can’t think of another player i’ve thought this about: his jump shot improving in college hurt his game. Saw him a lot in HS. Liked him, didn’t love him because he floated for too many stretches. But he had 2 things that really stood out: 1) He was an elite on ball defender. Great lateral movement. Disciplined with his hands. He could shut really good kids down. 2) He could get downhill on almost anyone and finished easily through contact. When CBC needed a basket they’d go 4 low and he’d just drive it and get a shot or a foul. If that player showed up in Bloomington minus the inactive stretches and could wean himself off some of the really bad looks, would take him in a second. But he has so fallen in love with the 3 ball and all that freedom. Hubert did that kid no favors. 

6 hours ago, Adillac said:

His stats tell a story: he isn’t efficient and he’s a ball hog. Why would we want a ball hog who isn’t good at shooting? 

I think it would be a mistake to bring him in based off of what we’ve seen from his prior 3 years in college basketball. That’s not a small sample size. We know what he does on the basketball court in college. 

On the defensive end, he is a plus defender.  I would also say that he hasn't been efficient and has been a ball hog with the caveat that Hubert Davis was his coach.  Whether he can be controlled would depend on coach and Love.  

IMO, if Woodson was willing to give Love the leash he wanted, he would be here because Juwan Howard has been very public about Michigan being behind in NIL money and Trilly Donovan has stated that Missouri is losing recruiting wars because of their inability to have good NIL deals in place.  IMO, Love choosing Michigan meant he felt it was important to his future to get more touches as opposed to immediate NIL gains.  Unless that has changed, I expect he'll look for another Michigan type of situation.  I could be wrong, but I think if he were to end up at IU that Woodson isn't going to give in to his expectations of being the guy the offense runs around.  If he were going to do so, Woodson would have been more likely to give into those demands back in April when the roster needed an injection of talent as opposed to now when the roster has added one of the most sought after portal entries, a top ten 2023 recruit, and received word that the starting point guard was returning.

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

@Banksyruleshas some ACC insight on Love.

I just got a reply from someone. 

“Very bad energy and I think the crux of last years fiasco. The most hot/cold player ever. Either terrible or the best ever depending on his mood”.   That’s all I’ll mention in this topic. 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Hubert did that kid no favors. 

This is it. At least as far as I watched UNC, which was only 5 - 10 games. 

I think it's difficult to evaluate a player when the system under which he is operating is so dysfunctional. UNC looked broken offensively both years under Hubert. Caleb and Brady got hot for a spell in the tourney, but the offense never had great flow, communication, recognizable sets, etc. outside of that run.

Caleb could have a terrible attitude, he may have the absolutely wrong mindset for the 2023 - 2024 Hoosiers. That's jazz the staff will dig into if they want them. 

Just regarding the on-the-court stuff though, it's too mired in bad coaching to definitively say he's selfish or lazy or any other thing like that. 

11 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

No way he is the focal point here. Love will have to get over that but if Woody thinks he can work with him I think we win a NIL battle with Missouri.

But.....we also win an NIL battle with Michigan, which is way behind in the Big Ten in terms of NIL.  And given that, he chose Michigan.  Think he is looking to be focal point first and NIL money second.

Personally, I don't think he ends up at either Indiana or Missouri.  Mizzou moved on after he left and brought in three guards through the portal -- John Tonje (Colorado State, 14.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 38% from three), Caleb Grill (9.5 points, 31 mpg at Iowa State) and Tamar Bates...plus already have a returning guard who put up 30 minutes per game last year.  

1 hour ago, Banksyrules said:

I just got a reply from someone. 

“Very bad energy and I think the crux of last years fiasco. The most hot/cold player ever. Either terrible or the best ever depending on his mood”.   That’s all I’ll mention in this topic. 

I heard from a very smart ACC guy that although his team mates might not like him, their girlfriends do.  :)

I will say that I have not watched Caleb Love play very much but I see that he is described a lot as a ball hog. Could it be the case, like Bracey Wright, where he is a perceived ball hog but his coach was telling him to take as many shots as he can. I'm Basically wondering if Hubert Davis thought that the best version of his team last year included Love hogging the ball. I not saying it's a smart move but I am saying that Mike Davis did that with Bracey and it made everyone think Bracey was selfish and a ball hog.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Something else to consider. Most elite programs roll the dice on a guy like Caleb love. Maybe not every year.  But pretty frequently.  

We have to trust Woodson and the culture he is building to weather it and if Love is a problem he needs to be benched and separated from the team. And Galloway take his spot. 

30 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

I will say that I have not watched Caleb Love play very much but I see that he is described a lot as a ball hog. Could it be the case, like Bracey Wright, where he is a perceived ball hog but his coach was telling him to take as many shots as he can. I'm Basically wondering if Hubert Davis thought that the best version of his team last year included Love hogging the ball. I not saying it's a smart move but I am saying that Mike Davis did that with Bracey and it made everyone think Bracey was selfish and a ball hog.

Finally!

A player comp I can stand with.

38 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

Cornell once upon a time had a coach that literally told a player he wasn’t allowed to shoot a two point shot.  College coaches make some strange @$$ decisions. I could see this 

IMO, the school that makes perfect sense for Love is Memphis.

1.  They definitely play a style of ball that gives players offensive freedom (sometimes to a default).

2.  As much of a critic as I've been of Penny Hardaway's, I thought this past season he did a decent job with the team he had.

3.  They do seem to have lots of playing time available for guards next year.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Finally!

A player comp I can stand with.

Has Bracey Wright ever been back to Indiana? It'd be nice to see Woody make a connection with those Davis years. Bracey Wright, Marshall Strickland, Marco Killingsworth, Rod Wilmont etc. That's a gap that just seems to be blatantly trashed, as if they never wore an IU uniform.

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Has Bracey Wright ever been back to Indiana? It'd be nice to see Woody make a connection with those Davis years. Bracey Wright, Marshall Strickland, Marco Killingsworth, Rod Wilmont etc. That's a gap that just seems to be blatantly trashed, as if they never wore an IU uniform.

The Hoosier hysterics invited them both back for the fantasy camp this August. I believe that would be the first time for both of them.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The Hoosier hysterics invited them both back for the fantasy camp this August. I believe that would be the first time for both of them.

And that's the group that was playing when I was a little and when I first became a fan, in 200 I started watching..  Absolutely loved rod wilmont, he was the guy I imagined being as a kid along with Ron artest.  I called him HOT ROD WILMONT!!

9 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

IMO, the school that makes perfect sense for Love is Memphis.

1.  They definitely play a style of ball that gives players offensive freedom (sometimes to a default).

2.  As much of a critic as I've been of Penny Hardaway's, I thought this past season he did a decent job with the team he had.

3.  They do seem to have lots of playing time available for guards next year.

Added bonus- not that far from home for him too. I like the way you think.