Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Caleb Love - UNC Transfer to Arizona

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

IU used to be problematic for transfers and grad transfers a few years back.  I wonder what happened to resolve that

Hopefully, we are wiser now. I don't ever remember that, though. 

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is the second year in a row this has happened. The dynamics and the order of events are the same:

1. Juwan Howard and staff recruits a player and establishes serious interest.
  2. Player confirms that he is approved by Michigan admissions as a student in good standing and commits.
  3. Admissions' confirmation is not the same as credits transferring - each academic department hasn't weighed in as to whether they'll accept the credits.
  4. Player finds out that while they are admitted, many of their college credits will not transfer.
  5. Player de-commits.

Sorry if this was already mentioned earlier in the thread, but didn't this same turn of events with credits not being accepted also happen to Nojel Eastern in 2020?

image.thumb.png.1c2b62272ebb51243aa13fae9e11c3d3.png

2 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

Sorry if this was already mentioned earlier in the thread, but didn't this same turn of events with credits not being accepted also happen to Nojel Eastern in 2020?

image.thumb.png.1c2b62272ebb51243aa13fae9e11c3d3.png

Great pull, yes,  think so

15 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

He seems like a punk to me and I don't like anything about him. 

TL/DR summary: everyone remembers he got UNC to the NC game. No one recalls that he's often below average the other 2.5 seasons

So you don't like his game, how he plays, don't think he's a good fit. Got it.

The "he's a cancer, seems like a punk and I don't like anything about him" is probably, at best, a bit much.

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I find it strange that with all the portal movement the last few years that the only program that is having these problems are UM.  I don't remember seeing any other school turning away a player because of credits not transferring

We have posters that want to join that illustrious group! 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have posters that want to join that illustrious group! 

Funny they have taken a few transfers the last few years. They took Joey Baker from Duke and he had been at Duke for 3 years.

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

Funny they have taken a few transfers the last few years. They took Joey Baker from Duke and he had been at Duke for 3 years.

Joey Baker came to UM right after having graduated. Same with Mike Smith. Therefore, they had no issues with credits transferring.

2 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I deal with UNC and Duke and I can assure you that's not the case. Every university is different. If Duke wanted him he would have been in.   

Yup. Back in the day K recruited a Chicago PG named Sean Dockery who was considered such an academic nonstarter that he had very few offers and wasn’t even recruited by Illinois. But he got into Duke. 

2 hours ago, lillurk said:

Michigan’s transfer policies relevant to this recruitment (and Terrence Shannon, etc.) are explained here: https://mgoblog.com/content/exit-he-arrived-caleb-love

Best to not besmirch the student here, I think. And no, not a bad look for IU to take credits UM doesn’t take.

Nice find. Also find it interesting that I have yet to see an article, comment or tweet from any Michigan fan or writer that blames Love. They know the deal.

47 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I find it strange that with all the portal movement the last few years that the only program that is having these problems are UM.  I don't remember seeing any other school turning away a player because of credits not transferring

The problem isn’t just that they turn them away IMO.  The bigger problem (for both the players and their coaching staff) is that they accept their commitments and then turn them away.

48 minutes ago, Demo said:

Nice find. Also find it interesting that I have yet to see an article, comment or tweet from any Michigan fan or writer that blames Love. They know the deal.

This is where I drew my opinion. I noticed (and before this recruitment/fiasco) that many UM fans were NOT happy with their admissions. 

42 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

The problem isn’t just that they turn them away IMO.  The bigger problem (for both the players and their coaching staff) is that they accept their commitments and then turn them away.

This. They say "yes", and then the recruit shuts down his recruitment... then UM says "um, sorry, we meant 'no'", and the recruit is left holding a great big bag of nothing.

I could see this happening once, maybe twice, but it seems to be a pretty frequent occurrence in Ann Arbor... at some point the recruits are going to stop trying to get in there...

15 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Did UM say no or did they basically say these classes would not transfer and thus he would have to retake them and chose not to

I think clearly he was admitted, but UM’s policies meant he’d be further from graduation than many other places, which could be an NCAA SAP issue.