Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Caleb Love - UNC Transfer to Arizona

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

Isn't UNC the school where basketball and football players were given credit for doing nothing? Is it any surprise that a UNC basketball player's transcript might be suspect and not all credits transferable?

Look I mentioned that in an above post, but UNC is absolutely right on par with us in terms of academics. Again, this is a Michigan issue/flaw, not Caleb Love. 

And to answer the bold, no it's not a surprise at all that Michigan is still being uppity about their admissions, their fans have had an issue about this for a while. Not a good look for them. 

3 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I wouldn't refer to insistence on meeting academic standards as a flaw of the university.

That's not Michigan's flaw...

The flaw by Michigan is that they did not clearly communicate nor settle on a firm answer regarding academic credits transfer with Caleb Love upon taking his commitment!

I wouldn't refer to insistence on meeting academic standards as a flaw of the university.

It is if you want top-notch basketball and football talent lol ... 100% a Michigan flaw. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Here's where the **** up is; how in the world did Michigan Basketball take his commitment without first confirming with the university that it would be a seamless academic transfer process

I suspect the transcript looked passable on its face. Once they realized that some of his credits were from UNC bogus classes, they changed their minds.

I spoke to someone at Michigan who said the transcript did not stand up to scrutiny.

Possible - no way of confirming whether you did so, but if so? That would be different.

My issue with Michigan is different, and is still ... why the hell didn't they settle the admissions issue, no matter what it could have been, prior to announcing the commitment?

I would hope, and I expect that by the time IU announced the additions of Walker, Sparks, and Ware, the IU admissions office had already vetted and confirmed to the basketball staff and the player that admissions was a completed and successful process.

If UM didn't do that it's a clown show; cost them many potential different players and made for a high-profile embarrassment.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Possible - no way of confirming whether you did so, but if so? That would be different.

My issue with Michigan is different, and is still ... why the hell didn't they settle the admissions issue, no matter what it could have been, prior to announcing the commitment?

I would hope, and I expect that by the time IU announced the additions of Walker, Sparks, and Ware, the IU admissions office had already vetted and confirmed to the basketball staff and the player that admissions was a completed and successful process.

If UM didn't do that it's a clown show; cost them many potential different players and made for a high-profile embarrassment.

That's a very Michigan, arrogant thing to do. 

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Michigan’s transfer policies relevant to this recruitment (and Terrence Shannon, etc.) are explained here: https://mgoblog.com/content/exit-he-arrived-caleb-love

Best to not besmirch the student here, I think. And no, not a bad look for IU to take credits UM doesn’t take.

BINGO.

@Honkyman?

"Hotel Putingrad

May 17th, 2023 at 9:05 PM ^

It's simple math. You have to take a minimum of 60 credits at Michigan to be admitted as an undergraduate transfer. Howard had to have known Love had too many banked and/or didn't want to sacrifice any he had already earned towards a degree in order to be admitted. This is a head coach not doing or delegating proper oversight. The rules are the rules and have always been the rules. Don't blame the school for enforcing its own requirements. If you want to change the standard, that's an entirely different debate."

I don't care about Michigan; I care about IU and I care about IU's academic reputation as well as their athletic record. Coach Woodson is a man of principal. I have no doubt if he is still interested in Love--and he may not be after his initial interaction with him--that Woodson will do the right thing and not cut corners to allow him to play. But if he is not interested or backs away, he won't announce why.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

not a bad look for IU to take credits UM doesn’t take.

Only someone who is more concerned about IU's athletic performance than their academic reputation would say this.

19 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I suspect the transcript looked passable on its face. Once they realized that some of his credits were from UNC bogus classes, they changed their minds.

I deal with UNC and Duke and I can assure you that's not the case. Every university is different. If Duke wanted him he would have been in.