Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Caleb Love - UNC Transfer to Arizona

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If Woody could get into his head that his easiest way to score would be in transition, so you need to pay great defense and play the passing lanes... Dude can be an elite defender. A defensive backcourt of XJ and Love with Gallo as your 6th man? Yea sign me up. Gotta take risk to get anywhere.

Strong disagree. Taking Love is not a risk, it's a guarantee, to wreck your team. He's a cancer- DO NOT WANT!!

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Strong disagree. Taking Love is not a risk, it's a guarantee, to wreck your team. He's a cancer- DO NOT WANT!!

I think he's the kind of player that can thrive in a locker room with a strong leadership core that won't put up with BS.

He does have a lot of potential as a player.  I don't really expect IU to get involved though.

Mixed feelings just like the rest of y’all.

I can definitely see the good attributes. Speed, confidence, experience, talent.

We need the ball to move around. We need a willing passer but also a shot maker.

IF we added someone like Love, Cupps, Gunn, Galloway minutes take a big chunk out. Love is gonna be a 25-30 minute guy. X will be too depending on foul trouble.

Mgbako-Banks at 3 in a similar spot.

Reneau-Walker at 4 similar split.

Ware-Sparks.

I see those spots at 25-30 10-15 splits.

Galloway probably gets backup PG minutes in this scenario over Cupps.

It appeared our staff was quite interested before but Mgbako addition might have completely changed that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Didn’t the kid play on an NC runner up.  I doubt he’s a guaranteed cancer. 

I  too would like some evidence of the cancer talk. He definitely shoots a lot, but the upside is there. Just needs to reign it in. 

15 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Some news outlets are reporting the reason why Love de-committed from Michigan is that he lacked the credits to transfer. If true, how does he transfer to Indiana  (or anywhere else but a junior college)?

Michigan is apparently very strict with transfer credits.  I don't know the comparison to IU, but I don't think it's a grades issue.  

36 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Some news outlets are reporting the reason why Love de-committed from Michigan is that he lacked the credits to transfer. If true, how does he transfer to Indiana  (or anywhere else but a junior college)?

Michigan has a strict transfer policy where they have to be above a certain mark before all their credits transfer from the other school.   He didn’t meet that high mark.   It cost them Terrance Shannon last year and Love this year.   

It's an either / or proposition.  You want him or  you don't want him.  I don't because I don't think he fits the locker room culture Woody has built.  Not questioning his basektball abilities at all but just don't like his fit on our team.

From personal experience, I don't think Love would have the same issue at IU in terms of credits transferring in. 

That said, I'm not personally "rooting" for this recruitment and don't think it will pick up steam again.

If it does though, I have full trust in Woodson and staff. 

If we make this happen I'll be a fan of it:

• We are surely, very much focused on team fit.
  • Therefore, if our staff brings him in that will signify we have full confidence in team fit, and we'd be getting a helluva college basketball player.

The amount of credits isn't the issue, and regardless of UNC's willingness to give fake classes in the past, it's an excellent academic institution and CL spent 3 years there and left in good academic standing, I'd venture to guess CL is a solid student. 

If Michigan wants to be uppity, I'd take their leftovers. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This simply isn't true. 

Of course, it is true. I keep hearing about how IU is a top academic university, yet we would be willing to accept an athlete who is academically ineligible of enrolling at the University of Michigan.  As a proud IU graduate and rabid IU basketball fan, I think we should and can do better.  Maybe Love should go to summer school and improve his academic standing before deciding which school he is going to play for next season.

2 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Of course, it is true. I keep hearing about how IU is a top academic university, yet we would be willing to accept an athlete who is academically ineligible of enrolling at the University of Michigan.  As a proud IU graduate and rabid IU basketball fan, I think we should and can do better.  Maybe Love should go to summer school and improve his academic standing before deciding which school he is going to play for next season.

It's not. 

Michigan is the issue, not Caleb Love. Michigan should spend the summer figuring out what is wrong in their admissions dept/policy to not allow someone transferring from UNC to get in without flaw. Makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Because you're confused of the issue. The kid was literally just at UNC. Literally. Not a JC, not UL, not Cinci..... UNC. The kids grades are fine. 

13 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It's not an issue of his GPA. From my understanding, UM has very strict transfer credit policies. Since Caleb is an upperclassman, it actually goes against him. UM is more forgiving to underclassmen since they won't be set too far back if most of their credits don't transfer over. Since he's coming from an out of state school, they'll probably take less than half his credits. Schools known for their academics don't want kids who have been in school full-time for 6 semesters but have less than 30 credits. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The kid was literally just at UNC. Literally. Not a JC, not UL, not Cinci..... UNC. The kids grades are fine. 

Isn't UNC the school where basketball and football players were given credit for doing nothing? Is it any surprise that a UNC basketball player's transcript might be suspect and not all credits transferable?