Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2023-24 IUBB ROSTER

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Because he's a long, super-high motor, positive locker room presence, talented, proven effective big. If he wants to join the IU basketball team? That's kinda hard to say no to.

I didn't ask what DeLoach did well, though. 

13 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

We don’t need DeLoach now.

29 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

We'll see, but I'm not sure the coaching staff agrees. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

why?

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I didn't ask what DeLoach did well, though. 

The "why" the coaching staff doesn't agree that we don't need him is because of what he does well.

I guess you could argue that we "want" him instead of "need" him because of what he does well.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The "why" the coaching staff doesn't agree that we don't need him is because of what he does well.

I guess you could argue that we "want" him instead of "need" him because of what he does well.

I asked why @Hardwood83 thinks the coaching staff doesn't agree. I can see what DeLoach does well. Is there something @Hardwood83 has heard on Peegs/other sources/does he KNOW what he stated here to be true? I was asking if HE knew MORE. 

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I didn't want him as our primary 4 or 5 (and I guess I stated clearly-lol), but if he wants to join the team as its currently constructed and find minutes I'm up for that for sure.  I would find that a difficult sell for our staff but i guess we will have to see.  

I mean, If I look at things from a not rosey perspective, I could say Reneau is prone to foul trouble (although admittedly doing better), Ware has a motor that has questions, and Sparks is taking a big step up in competition.  All of this is true to an extent and could be the lens that staff is using to continue to recruit DeLoach.  

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I didn't want him as our primary 4 or 5 (and I guess I stated clearly-lol), but if he wants to join the team as its currently constructed and find minutes I'm up for that for sure.  I would find that a difficult sell for our staff but i guess we will have to see.  

I mean, If I look at things from a not rosey perspective, I could say Reneau is prone to foul trouble (although admittedly doing better), Ware has a motor that has questions, and Sparks is taking a big step up in competition.  All of this is true to an extent and could be the lens that staff is using to continue to recruit DeLoach.  

My wish list today is:

1. Knecht 

2. Ledlum-i'm trying to sell myself on him a little more but i can see it.

3. A guard that can PG if necessary.  (I have a hard time see significant minutes for this spot if we get 1 and 2)

I think Gallo, Banks, Gunn should see good minutes.  See if Gunn or Banks can earn more.  Gallo should likely get 20+ as he can play 1,2,3 and if shooting stays hot he needs to play.  

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My wish list today is:

1. Knecht 

2. Ledlum-i'm trying to sell myself on him a little more but i can see it.

3. A guard that can PG if necessary.  (I have a hard time see significant minutes for this spot if we get 1 and 2)

I think Gallo, Banks, Gunn should see good minutes.  See if Gunn or Banks can earn more.  Gallo should likely get 20+ as he can play 1,2,3 and if shooting stays hot he needs to play.  

Where I am on Banks and Gunn is we really don't know at this point. Will they be developed and ready as sophs to play good minutes, on a team that we think is trying to develop its roster into a contending team? Just haven't seen enough of either to know at this point imo.

Do you or anyone think the staff would look for someone like a El Ellis to help with PG or more players on the floor that can get to the rim and dish?

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I asked why @Hardwood83 thinks the coaching staff doesn't agree. I can see what DeLoach does well. Is there something @Hardwood83 has heard on Peegs/other sources/does he KNOW what he stated here to be true? I was asking if HE knew MORE. 

I have ZERO intel and didn't mean to imply I did. My point was, as of now he's still got a visit scheduled a few days from now. I would hope they wouldn't waste everyone's time & money to host him unless they genuinely wanted him.  

We may be out on Knecht but it looks like we are still in a good spot for Ledlum. 

I'm really interested in the rotation next year and I'm bored right now so I am going to try and guess at the rotation. Feel free to roast my thoughts here.  Ledlum is a 3/4 and I think he could probably shoot around 35% in our offense since our players tend to get open 3s. But his best skill is being long and athletic enough to play a small four and attack closeouts of smaller, less athletic 4's. Hopefully we get another wing to reduce the minutes he sees at the 3. I see our big rotation of MR, Ledlum, Ware, and Sparks with MR splitting time between 4/5, Ware playing less minutes than we expect due to general fatigue and foul trouble, Ledlum sliding down to the 4 for lineups with MR and Ware at the 5, and Sparks playing spot minutes at the five (he's too slow to play the 4 but energy minutes at the five is perfect for him).

X and Gallo will start. We've had a lot of discussions on Gallo but every year he gets himself on the floor because he makes it hard for the coaches not to play him. Watching some of our games back this year I've realized how many of Gallo's defensive lapses were due to him trying to help off his man to help JHS contain the ball handler.  I think with X back those lapses more or less disappear and thats one of the best defensive backcourts in the B1G. People talk a lot about the work he put in to be a good shooter but we have to remember that he had surgery in the offseason and he still improved his 3PT% from 21 to 46(!!!)%. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full offseason to work.

So that leaves the rotation as follows (with their minutes in parenthesis):

PG: X (32), Cupps (8)

SG: Gallo (28), Gunn (6), Leal/Newton (6)

SF: Ledlum (15), Gunn (15), Banks (10)

PF: MR (25), Ledlum (13), Banks (2)

C: Ware (28), MR (7), Sparks (5) 

The shooting of this lineup worries me. Would love to nab a shooter at the three and bump Ledlum into being a sixth man, which is a role I think he would be best in.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, what’s with the situation with us being “out” on Knecht?  Is it the Oregon visit or something else I missed?

There were, I think two predictions, for Dalton Knecht to Oregon.  

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would put a solid amount of money on the fact that MR is not going to avg 32mpg, Sparks will avg more than 5mpg, Gunn won't avg anything close to 20mpg when it matters, and Banks plays more than Gunn per game. 

All fair. I thought MR really improved in terms of moving his feet and not fouling as the season went on so I am confident in him playing heavy minutes. As for Banks and Gunn its hard to project their PT hopefully we get another transfer that takes the bulk of those minutes.

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

All fair. I thought MR really improved in terms of moving his feet and not fouling as the season went on so I am confident in him playing heavy minutes. As for Banks and Gunn its hard to project their PT hopefully we get another transfer that takes the bulk of those minutes.

He isn't going to avg 32mpg.... more like 24-ish. I love Malik, this opinion has nothing to do with my thoughts on his play. Malik 24, Sparks 13--- that is way closer to what their min distribution will be than 32 and 5. 

I agree, I would like another wing transfer, as well. But, predicting Gunn to play 20+mpg.... crazy to me. I think CJ has quite a ways to go on both ends of the court. 

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If Ledlum is questionable and Knecht is off the board it makes ya wonder what Ya is cooking with.  Seems like 2 recruits he alluded to.  One very soon and the other soon.  

interesting. Knecht would be a bummer. I fell for his game big, he’s legit.  

We need a scorer, Knecht was option 1 for me.

If Ledlum is questionable and Knecht is off the board it makes ya wonder what Ya is cooking with.  Seems like 2 recruits he alluded to.  One very soon and the other soon.  

re-read my post and I'm impressed with my unintentional "makes ya wonder what Ya" quip.  lol

On 4/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I thought one was Ledlum for sure he was talking about, But maybe not