Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2023-24 IUBB ROSTER

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I don’t like any of these Cupps comps, but I think Cupps will be excellent.

And this was also the attempted discussion, but it just kept coming back to why Isn’t Yogi a good comparison…. 

Cupps looks like a strong incoming pure point in his own right, not to mention he’s been helping in recruiting. Good that he has X (we think) to learn from, and lots of reason to think he’ll develop well. 

And this was also the attempted discussion, but it just kept coming back to why Isn’t Yogi a good comparison…. 

Cupps looks like a strong incoming pure point in his own right, not to mention he’s been helping in recruiting. Good that he has X (we think) to learn from, and lots of reason to think he’ll develop well. 

“Trying to help” in recruiting. Kudos again but recruiting has been null and void. What I do know is we need, what 4 or 5 players from the TP and we need 3 of them to be absolutely ready to rock n roll.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, mamasa said:

I honestly have to ask- what are your expectations for IU basketball? Everything you post is a “tempering of expectations” or a negative light on the program/recruiting. 

Kool-aid drinking fan thinks every recruit will be the next fill in the blank IU great (calls himself mr glass half full). Fans that have watched us lay turds for past 22 years challenges that - Mr. Glass half full attacks challenger and calls them negative 

rinse and repeat

36 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Kool-aid drinking fan thinks every recruit will be the next fill in the blank IU great (calls himself mr glass half full). Fans that have watched us lay turds for past 22 years challenges that - Mr. Glass half full attacks challenger and calls them negative 

rinse and repeat

I think the comps are more about style of play than whether he’ll be great or not.

On 4/1/2023 at 6:31 PM, btownqb said:

What did Yogi do well offensively? Defensively? 

Gabe does those same things. 

You’re kidding right? 

Speed: Yogi

Strength: Yogi

Handle: Yogi (Rick Pitino abandoned full court pressure against Yogi…)

Passing: Yogi

Shooting/Scoring: Yogi

the only aspect to Cupps game (and I LOVE Cupps) where he may be better is defensively and on the boards. Yogi was an underrated defender. 

Yogi Ferrell was a 5* McDonalds AA…. Top 2 PG in Indiana basketball history. 

8 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

You’re kidding right? 

the only aspect to Cupps game (and I LOVE Cupps) where he may be better is defensively and on the boards. Yogi was an underrated defender. 

You’re leaving out maturity.

Gabe is mentally ready and focused RIGHT NOW. Yogi - for all his 5* talent - never put it together until after the embarrassing Duke loss his Senior year. Had he played with that level of focus and maturity his sophomore and junior seasons, he could have had numbers no one could have ever touched.

You’re kidding right? 

Quinn Buckner does not approve that last statement.

• College Basketball Hall of Fame (Inducted: 2015)
  • 1984 NBA Champion (Boston Celtics)
  • 1982 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
  • 1981 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
  • 1980 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
  • 1978 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
  • 1976 NCAA Champion (Indiana Hoosiers)
  • 1975 Third-team NABC All-American
  • 1975 First-team All-Big Ten
  • 1974 First-team All-Big Ten
  • 1972 Illinois Mr. Basketball
  • 1972 Mr. Basketball USA

You’re kidding right? 

What am I kidding about? I understand how good Yogi is/was ...favorite Hoosier. 

Pitino won't be pressing us either. 

Passing, shooting, scoring are all pretty similar, which was my point. And the ways they score.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

What am I kidding about? I understand how good Yogi is/was ...favorite Hoosier. 

Pitino won't be pressing us either. 

Passing, shooting, scoring are all pretty similar, which was my point. And the ways they score. 

Gabe - right now - isn’t a knock-down 3-pt shooter. At least he hasn’t shown that in his game.

Yogi, fwiw, wasn’t his freshman year, either.

8 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Gabe - right now - isn’t a knock-down 3-pt shooter. At least he hasn’t shown that in his game.

Yogi, fwiw, wasn’t his freshman year, either.

I know. Cupps will struggle as a FR, at times. Yogi did as well. Yogi was put in a GREAT spot to succeed in HS and as a FR, very similar to GC. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know. Cupps will struggle as a FR, at times. Yogi did as well. Yogi was put in a GREAT spot to succeed in HS and as a FR, very similar to GC. 

At times during his sophomore/junior years, I’d get really frustrated with Yogi over his play. Problem for him was who he had as a coach.

9 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

Top 2 PG in Indiana basketball history. 

It is ridiculous to compare a high school player who has never participated in a college game with one of Indiana University's all time greats. Let Cupps play at IU for four years and then compare his career with Yogi Farrell's (though Yogi was a 4-year starter and Cupps is not likely to start his freshman year assuming Xavier Johnson returns). However, it is a bit of an exaggeration to assert that Yogi is one of the " top 2 PG in Indiana basketball history." The top is indisputably Isiah Thomas, who is one of the two or three greatest players to put on an Indiana uniform. Number 2 is clearly Quinn Buckner who led Indiana to two Final Fours, including one national championship. That doesn't include the near undefeated 1974-75 season when IU lost by two points in the Regional finals after Scott May had a broken arm. After Buckner there is Vernon Payne, who led the Hoosiers to a Big Ten title and IU's first NCAA berth since 1958. Payne never averaged less than 14 points a season but is usually overlooked because he played in the pre-Bobby Knight era. But Yogi is definitely near the top 2.

56 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

You’re leaving out maturity.

Gabe is mentally ready and focused RIGHT NOW. Yogi - for all his 5* talent - never put it together until after the embarrassing Duke loss his Senior year. Had he played with that level of focus and maturity his sophomore and junior seasons, he could have had numbers no one could have ever touched.

This is such a ridiculous take. Yogi came in and anchored the backcourt of the top team in the nation as a freshman. Awful take. 

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

This is such a ridiculous take. Yogi came in and anchored the backcourt of the top team in the nation as a freshman. Awful take. 

Believe what you want.

As a freshman, Yogi had the core group of Hulls, Vic, Zeller et all that kept everyone together and focused on basketball.

As a sophomore, Yogi was the leader - of having a good time. How does a team that has multiple 5*/4* players, McDonalds AA not even make the tournament? 

Does a FOCUSED leader allow an atmosphere that is devoid of accountability? You think Luke Fischer left after a semester because he was “homesick”? How is Hanner Perea getting arrested for DUI at 3am just hours after a game, right before the Purdue game?

And don’t forget Yogi getting arrested trying to get into trying to get into Kilroys. The cop was gonna let him and Stan go until Yogi argued with him.

You can never convince me all that happens under FOCUSED leadership. And, granted, a lot of the issue falls on Crean and his refusal to address issues within the program. But Yogi never became a true leader until after the Duke game. And that’s the truth.

3 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Believe what you want.

As a freshman, Yogi had the core group of Hulls, Vic, Zeller et all that kept everyone together and focused on basketball.

As a sophomore, Yogi was the leader - of having a good time. How does a team that has multiple 5*/4* players, McDonalds AA not even make the tournament? 

Does a FOCUSED leader allow an atmosphere that is devoid of accountability? You think Luke Fischer left after a semester because he was “homesick”? How is Hanner Perea getting arrested for DUI at 3am just hours after a game, right before the Purdue game?

And don’t forget Yogi getting arrested trying to get into trying to get into Kilroys. The cop was gonna let him and Stan go until Yogi argued with him.

You can never convince me all that happens under FOCUSED leadership. And, granted, a lot of the issue falls on Crean and his refusal to address issues within the program. But Yogi never became a true leader until after the Duke game. And that’s the truth.

Yogi had the ability to lead (good or bad). He enjoyed the college life outside of basketball his sophomore and junior years while maturing. I'm hoping Cupps has the same ability but has his priorities set on becoming the best player he can be while dragging others along.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Yogi had the ability to lead (good or bad). He enjoyed the college life outside of basketball his sophomore and junior years while maturing. I'm hoping Cupps has the same ability but has his priorities set on becoming the best player he can be while dragging others along.

My point wasn’t in trying to dog on Yogi. He was an incredible talent for his size who, had he had a different head coach/culture around him, would have matured much sooner.

Gabe doesn’t have nearly the same physical tools Ferrell has. But his approach at the same age is so much different than Yogi’s was. Which is why I believe he is going to have a great freshman season.