Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ISP

Dusty May - FAU HC - Former IU student manager

26 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

iirc, Shaka Smart magically decided he wanted to coach Marquette a few days before Beard left Tech to go to Texas. Would be nice if Woodson suddenly decided he wanted to ride off into the sunset right about now.

Couldn't we promote woodson to the role that Matta had a few years ago at IU? like director of Basketball operations? Hire May, grab transfers from FAU, Portal and be a serious contender the following year? 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I don’t but I know they’re good friends. 

I thought Fife sabotaged recruits, continued to bring up politics to players after being told to cut it out, and was generally insubordinate. I guess I could be thinking about a different recent assistant coach.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I thought Fife sabotaged recruits, continued to bring up politics to players after being told to cut it out, and was generally insubordinate. I guess I could be thinking about a different recent assistant coach.

Oh that’s the guy all right.

You forgot “and got fired for doing it.”

I would speculate that Dusty May doesn’t do those things, even if his friend does.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh that’s the guy all right.

You forgot “and got fired for doing it.”

I would speculate that Dusty May doesn’t do those things, even if his friend does.

Good point. I have friends who I disagree with on a number of topics. But, we can agree to disagree and continue to discuss and be friends. I know, weird, right.

34 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Mike Davis got to the championship game. Just sayin'.

My friend calls it "After Glow"... Hubert Davis taking UNC in 2022 (following Roy Williams), Kevin Ollie taking Uconn in 2014 (following Jim Calhoun), Bruce Weber taking Illinois in 2005 (following Bill Self), Mike Davis taking Indiana in 2002 (following Bob Knight)... Texas this year might make it (Following Chris Beard)...  These are not great coaches, just inherited a PROGRAM.

7 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

My friend calls it "After Glow"... Hubert Davis taking UNC in 2022 (following Roy Williams), Kevin Ollie taking Uconn in 2014 (following Jim Calhoun), Bruce Weber taking Illinois in 2005 (following Bill Self), Mike Davis taking Indiana in 2002 (following Bob Knight)... Texas this year might make it (Following Chris Beard)...  These are not great coaches, just inherited a PROGRAM.

And that’s the difference between Dusty May and any of the other guys mentioned in this thread.  The coach before May was 34-89.  No past program success to fall back on like Crean at Marquette or Miller at Dayton.  No “somebody else’s players” because this is May’s fifth year there.  All his guys now.  May built this himself, out of basically nothing.  A Final Four team at Florida Atlantic.

58 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

And that’s the difference between Dusty May and any of the other guys mentioned in this thread.  The coach before May was 34-89.  No past program success to fall back on like Crean at Marquette or Miller at Dayton.  No “somebody else’s players” because this is May’s fifth year there.  All his guys now.  May built this himself, out of basically nothing.  A Final Four team at Florida Atlantic.

It's impressive.  Porter Moser did the same thing at Loyola.  Sustainability is the key.  

If Dusty were looking to step up after the season, there are three "Big 6" openings: Texas Tech, Cal, Penn State. 

Texas is technically open, too, I guess. 

The AAC also has a couple vacancies: South Florida, Temple. 

After that, anything would pretty much be a lateral move -- you probably could argue that USF and Temple are pretty close to that category. 

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Not in his 5th year at FAU and gradually improving.

I’m not sure I’d call his previous 4 years gradually improving. His previous 4 season winning %: .515, 535, .565, & .559. 

That’s pretty consistent across the board. It is a little better than his predecessors though, which is a good sign.  And of course, his current season/run is great. 

As others have said, lots of coaches have had a good run but couldn’t cut it at a place like IU. The thing to remember is how hard it is to coach in a league like the B1G. A 4 game hot streak isn’t enough. You have to be one of the best night in and night out.  I always use the analogy of a boxer/mma fighter moving up the ranks. All good fighters are virtually undefeated and look great as they move up the ranks.  Then they hit the top 10 ranks full of once promising prospects and other great fighters. Whether they can beat those guys and fight the champion is a whole different story. The B1G is like a fighter fighting top 10 opponents every night. 

Almost all the coaches in the B1G would be the best coach in FAU’s conference. Let’s look at the bottom of the B1G standings and their coaches.  

Minny — Ben Johnson - long time assistant and got the job at his Alma mater 

Ohio State — Holtmann - was one of the hottest most promising coaches in the country at one point. Think they’ve went to 4/5 tourneys 

Nebraska — Fred Hoiberg - was once one of the hottest coaches in country after taking ISU to the E8. Took over for a guy who failed at ISU named Doug McDermontt…whatever happened to that guy anyways?  

Wisconsin — Gard…was once a top assistant. 4/7 tourneys including a S16.  

Rutgers -- Pikel - roundly praised for building Ritgers into a tourney team. Built up no-name Stoney Brook before the Rutgers 

Penn State - (was) Shwersberry - one of the hottest coaches in the country whom others on this board want for IU.   

That’s the BOTTOM of the league. 

21 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’m not sure I’d call his previous 4 years gradually improving. His previous 4 season winning %: .515, 535, .565, & .559. 

That’s pretty consistent across the board. It is a little better than his predecessors though, which is a good sign.  And of course, his current season/run is great. 

As others have said, lots of coaches have had a good run but couldn’t cut it at a place like IU. The thing to remember is how hard it is to coach in a league like the B1G. A 4 game hot streak isn’t enough. You have to be one of the best night in and night out.  I always use the analogy of a boxer/mma fighter moving up the ranks. All good fighters are virtually undefeated and look great as they move up the ranks.  Then they hit the top 10 ranks full of once promising prospects and other great fighters. Whether they can beat those guys and fight the champion is a whole different story. The B1G is like a fighter fighting top 10 opponents every night. 

Almost all the coaches in the B1G would be the best coach in FAU’s conference. Let’s look at the bottom of the B1G standings and their coaches.  

Minny — Ben Johnson - long time assistant and got the job at his Alma mater 

Ohio State — Holtmann - was one of the hottest most promising coaches in the country at one point. Think they’ve went to 4/5 tourneys 

Nebraska — Fred Hoiberg - was once one of the hottest coaches in country after taking ISU to the E8. Took over for a guy who failed at ISU named Doug McDermontt…whatever happened to that guy anyways?  

Wisconsin — Gard…was once a top assistant. 4/7 tourneys including a S16.  

Rutgers -- Pikel - roundly praised for building Ritgers into a tourney team. Built up no-name Stoney Brook before the Rutgers 

Penn State - (was) Shwersberry - one of the hottest coaches in the country whom others on this board want for IU.   

That’s the BOTTOM of the league. 

Agree.  People forget that Archie Miller had a pretty impressive run at Dayton.  Doesn’t mean it translates.

35 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree.  People forget that Archie Miller had a pretty impressive run at Dayton.  Doesn’t mean it translates.

Dayton has a legit program though, with a history of good fan/administrative support.  They always seem to have just enough to be competitive, but lack what it takes to get to that next level.

What Dusty has accomplished is impressive.  FAU has virtually none of that same support, no history of success, no NBA alum, etc.  He has steadily built them up and is within arm's reach of a national title.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He has built a freaking program at FAU.  Not even comparable to Archie at Dayton. He is in position to win a championship there and could decide to stay there for awhile and choose what job he wants.  People are different.

54 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Everyone is different, but that’s kind of true!

41 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

He has built a freaking program at FAU.  Not even comparable to Archie at Dayton. He is in position to win a championship there and could decide to stay there for awhile and choose what job he wants.  People are different.

He is in position to win a championship.  But it's also the first time he's won 20 games.  I wouldn't go so far as to say he's built 'a freaking program'.  George Mason went to a final four in 2006 and only made one tournament in the next four seasons and had no tournament wins.  Porter Moser went to a final four at Loyola and hasn't won another NCAA tournament game since and appears to be flaming out at Oklahoma.  The biggest mistakes in hiring coaches are made when you base it off of a single season of success.