Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ISP

Dusty May - FAU HC - Former IU student manager

Mike Woodson is our coach and deserves the benefit of the doubt to build this roster for next season and into the future. I believe in him. However, if this program takes a major step back next year (misses the tournament) and Woodson's energy just isn't into it, (recruiting is flat) IU HAS to look into May. Don't let another university get him.  Sounds like he's really happy at FAU despite terrible facilities. He won't leave unless the right job comes along. 

Only thing I don't like is this FAU team seems to turn it over a bit much. 22 today. 

I need to actually look at the stats the last few years to see if it's indeed a trend.  

Regardless, can't argue with the winning. 

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Only thing I don't like is this FAU team seems to turn it over a bit much. 22 today. 

I need to actually look at the stats the last few years to see if it's indeed a trend.  

Regardless, can't argue with the winning. 

I just checked his 5 seasons and the TOs have been trending down since he took over as HC, around 14 his first year and around 11 per game this year.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

I just checked his 5 seasons and the TOs have been trending down since he took over as HC, around 14 his first year and around 11 per game this year.

They play pretty fast. More possessions = a few more turnovers. They protect the ball pretty well all things considered.

I saw them in person in January against Charlotte, a solid team and the slowest paced team in the country. FAU had a total of 3 turnovers in that one.

A few years back, word got out that South Carolina was looking to hire Kirby Smart as football coach. Smart, a Georgia alumnus, was an Alabama assistant at time and was seen as real up-and-comer. When Georgia heard of South Carolina's plans, they actually fired Mark Richt so they could hire Smart and not let him get away. 

In just a few days, I can see Dolson knocking on Woody's door: "Hey Mike, we need to have a little chat ..." 

LOL! 

Coaching in the B1G is a whole other animal. I like May's team and they are fun to watch. Those guys never quit. Hard to say what would happen in the meat grinder that is our conference. I think he deserves a look but am not ready to anoint him just yet.

27 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

A few years back, word got out that South Carolina was looking to hire Kirby Smart as football coach. Smart, a Georgia alumnus, was an Alabama assistant at time and was seen as real up-and-comer. When Georgia heard of South Carolina's plans, they actually fired Mark Richt so they could hire Smart and not let him get away. 

In just a few days, I can see Dolson knocking on Woody's door: "Hey Mike, we need to have a little chat ..." 

LOL! 

Love this, same thing happened with Beard at TTech going to Texas, no? Great programs GET their guy.

7 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Love this, same thing happened with Beard at TTech going to Texas, no? Great programs GET their guy.

You might actually be thinking of when Texas Tech first hired Beard. He had taken the UNLV job for a couple weeks when Tubby Smith suddenly left Tech for Memphis. Since Beard was a former TTU assistant, they went after him -- even though he had just been hired in Vegas. 

As I recall, the Texas Tech AD called UNLV and said they were going to talk to Beard. The Vegas AD said no, you can't talk to him. 

The Texas Tech AD said, "I wasn't really calling to ask permission. I was giving you a courtesy call to tell you that we ARE going to talk to him." 

Not long after, Beard resigned from UNLV and took the job in Lubbock. 

16 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

iirc, Shaka Smart magically decided he wanted to coach Marquette a few days before Beard left Tech to go to Texas. Would be nice if Woodson suddenly decided he wanted to ride off into the sunset right about now.

Edited by GoIU8