Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ISP

Dusty May - FAU HC - Former IU student manager

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He turns 65 today. Has 4 years left on his contract. Don't think he's thrilled about traveling to AAU tourneys. Loves golf, wine, and naps. All things retired people like and myself . 

Totally think his goal is to land '24 and '25 guys and have a few good years with them and then ride off into the sunset leaving IU better than when he found it. Is that wrong to think? 

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

Totally think his goal is to land '24 and '25 guys and have a few good years with them and then ride off into the sunset leaving IU better than when he found it. Is that wrong to think? 

No that's what I think will happen too. But there were more grumblings this year about walking away than last. Some of his best friends are retired, and most of his golfing buddies are retired except Quinn. So we'll see how this season goes and of course no one ever knows about people health

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

No that's what I think will happen too. But there were more grumblings this year about walking away than last. Some of his best friends are retired, and most of his golfing buddies are retired except Quinn. So we'll see how this season goes and of course no one ever knows about people health

Eh. That worries me if he's already thinking about it. Should be fine to recruit the portal but it's going to be tough to land these top high schoolers. 

58 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Hopefully there are contingency/transition plans being established if he decides to retire before his contract expires

Good  news is we likely won’t have a Brad Stevens/Moses Abram candlelight vigil threads next go around lol

Eh. That worries me if he's already thinking about it. Should be fine to recruit the portal but it's going to be tough to land these top high schoolers. 

Definitely concerns me. Calling Flory, Kory for a recruiting weekend. Izzo is old as dirt (in terms of college basketball) too, but connects and lives it. Directly involved in recruitments. Painter lives it. Recruiting Is the lifeblood. If that goes away, it all goes away. Been reports already about HC involvement in recruitments. I’m a little concerned. The players seem to like him, well the ones who play.

Big stretch upcoming.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Lets say Woody stays for 3-4 more seasons, who knows who the hot coaching name we are hopeful about is by then.  Hopefully people don't go too crazy praying for someone like Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens again.  I doubt our next hire is any assistant on the current coaching staff.  Did we even hear the real reason that Fife left?  Did him and Woodson just not mesh?

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

He turns 65 today. Has 4 years left on his contract. Don't think he's thrilled about traveling to AAU tourneys. Loves golf, wine, and naps. All things retired people like and myself . 

What did he expect when he took the job as a college head coach 

3 hours ago, hoosiersoxfan said:

Lets say Woody stays for 3-4 more seasons, who knows who the hot coaching name we are hopeful about is by then.  Hopefully people don't go too crazy praying for someone like Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens again.  I doubt our next hire is any assistant on the current coaching staff.  Did we even hear the real reason that Fife left?  Did him and Woodson just not mesh?

Their is a current coach in south Florida that might be on the short list when CMW retires that is very good friends with Dane Fife.  This is fun isn’t it?

27 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

There is a current coach in south Florida that might be on the short list when CMW retires that is very good friends with Dane Fife.  This is fun isn’t it?

Whose main mentor is Mike Davis. Put them both back on the staff.

34 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Whose main mentor is Mike Davis. Put them both back on the staff.

So what do you think is most likely to happen:

A: Woodson coaches out his contract and they look for the next coach after that.

B: May or Lewis ends up being the real deal next year and IU thanks Woodson for his services and he retires so they can hire one of those guys.

14 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

A: Woodson coaches out his contract and they look for the next coach after that.

B: May or Lewis ends up being the real deal next year and IU thanks Woodson for his services and he retires so they can hire one of those guys.

I know it wasn’t directed at me and I have no idea how long CMW wants to keep coaching but May is already the real deal.  Their is a very real chance the Owls could be playing on 4/3.

Just now, IU - Kaulie said:

I know it wasn’t directed at me and I have no idea how long CMW wants to keep coaching but May is already the real deal.  Their is a very real chance the Owls could be playing on 4/3.

Ehhh idk about that. It took him 5 years to get a good team. If we're judging coaches based on one great tourney run then Archie or Crean must also be great coaches. Contrast that with a coach like Chris Beard who won immediately as soon as he got to every single program he's been too.

15 hours ago, GoIU8 said:

If we're judging coaches based on one great tourney run then Archie or Crean must also be great coaches

You’re not wrong. It is the nature of fans and just recency bias in general to fall in love with the latest thing. The coaching ranks is littered with mediocre coaches who’ve had one good run. We’ve given contracts to 3/4 coaches based on that criteria.   

None of this is a comment on May, individually. I don’t know much about him. 

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

You’re not wrong. It is the nature of fans and just recent bias in general to fall in love with the latest thing. The coaching ranks is littered with mediocre coaches who’ve had one good run. We’ve given contracts to 3/4 coaches based on that criteria.   

None of this is a comment on May, individually. I don’t know much about him. 

He has been building something at FAU.  This is his best team by far but this year didn’t just come out of nowhere.

17 hours ago, GoIU8 said:

May & Lewis are not comparable imo right now. May had had 5 winning seasons in a row at a school that doesn’t care about basketball. Lewis just finished his first winning season. 

As far as your question Woody will stay as long as Woody wants on his contract.

On 3/24/2023 at 1:43 PM, southsidehoosier said:

Good  news is we likely won’t have a Brad Stevens/Moses Abram candlelight vigil threads next go around lol

But have you checked the latest Bloomington flight patterns? Stevens still buying a house in Btown right?….

:)

23 hours ago, GoIU8 said:

B.  Won't happen.  Buckner won't allow it.  Woody will have to leave on his own and I just don't see that happening.